Jump to content
bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Bob said:

k

Increases in COVID‑19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7.pdf

 

So why the mandates?

Unless you think like @SharkTanked, to preserve the medical capactity, then if that's the case we also need to make illegal anything else that one voluntarity does to put the capacity of our hospitals at risk, like drinking, smoking, riding motorcycles, swimming, lifting weights, going up and down stairs.

When was the last time every bed in the hospital was filled with people dying of smoking related illnesses. or any of the other things you mentioned. NEVER 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Several issues with this paper I will expand upon below.

Please understand, this reply is not intended for Bobo - who has repeatedly demonstrated his inability to ingest data outside his bias ad nauseum - but rather for those, who like myself, found the title and gist of the paper interesting enough to actually read it and inspect its findings.

I have both been published and taken part in more peer reviews and acceptance tests than I care to remember. Below is the result of a cursory peer review:

1. There are serious issues with their source data. The reference for their cross-country dataset is simply the www.ourworldindata.org coronavirus landing page, without any url listed to the actual data they reference, or any accompanying .csv file that can be independently inspected. This is not simply an APA citation failure; it is a failure by most standards. The data is available in a table in the supplementary document once you go to the publication's url, but there is no - absolutely zero - link to a landing page with the source data to verify it:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-10-15-56-AM.pn

2. This becomes an issue because without the actual data set, the following graph - which indicates median, interquartile, and variation of prevalence rates - does not dovetail with the findings:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-10-05-51-AM.pn

Notice that both the median and interquartile ranges for infection rates trend down as the vaccination rates increase. :waiting:

3. Another issue is that the paper is lacking any statistical analysis other than the resultant graphs. I mean, where the f*ck is the chi-square test? :blink: In the absence of such basic expected accompanying data that would mathematicaly validate any purported findings, it is difficult to IV&V any reported correlation.

This becomes paramount when in the absence of such data, the authors presents a graph like this:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-9-56-02-AM.png

At a glance, there is a weak, but present, positive correlation. However, not only do the authors fail to articulate what the correlation coefficient is anywhere in the paper, they fail to validate it though the presentation of even the most rudimentary statistical analysis. 

I honestly am surprised this was published in its current form, as it fails to meet the most basic requirements for being published in a scientific journal stateside. :shrug:

 

I used to know what all that jargon meant when I took stats in college. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

When was the last time every bed in the hospital was filled with people dying of smoking related illnesses. or any of the other things you mentioned. NEVER 

Maybe there is an ER near Muscle Beach for all those who deadlift and give themselves a hernia?  :rolleyes:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

 

Btw, for there record, saying ivermectin is a horse dewormer is not a lie. It is used as a horse dewormer. But for CNN to conflate veterinary medicine with regular human medicine was not entirely honest, and Dr. Gupta agreed with Rogan. Not sure where the "gotcha" is? :shrug:

 

 

But when people are going to the feed store and specifically buying ivermectin marketed and prepared as horse dewormer  it is entirely accurate to say they are taking horse dewormer.

And I don't really think we disagree here but you wer the last person mentioning this thread. But I keep seeing people saying "its not horse dewormer just because that is one of the things it is used as" but when you are purchasing a package that has a horse on it meant to remove worms from said horse....you are buying horse dewormer.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tspoke said:

But when people are going to the feed store and specifically buying ivermectin marketed and prepared as horse dewormer  it is entirely accurate to say they are taking horse dewormer.

And I don't really think we disagree here but you wer the last person mentioning this thread. But I keep seeing people saying "its not horse dewormer just because that is one of the things it is used as" but when you are purchasing a package that has a horse on it meant to remove worms from said horse....you are buying horse dewormer.

I agree with that. I think Rogan's point of contention was that there were CNN anchors saying he was taking horse dewormer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

I used to know what all that jargon meant when I took stats in college. 

Data makes me spill my milkshake, and stats are simply our toolkit to analyze it. However, it is entirely too easy to statistically cherry pick one tree at the expense of the forrest, which gives legs to the old Mark Twain quote about liars and statistics. I try to approach everything with a healthy skepticism, and when I see a paper that both glosses over presented data at odds with its own findings and fails to accurately provide source data, more red flags go up than at Mao's birthday in Beijing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I agree with that. I think Rogan's point of contention was that there were CNN anchors saying he was taking horse dewormer.

walter white GIF

I didn't watch the clip so yeah my bad. I was making the point in general but nevermind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the benefit of ivermectin?  I'm not a doctor but I remember briefly going over antihelmenthe (sp?) treatments in my invertebrate biology class and it seems aside from it also being an anti inflammatory it would have little to no affect to a virus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

What's the benefit of ivermectin?  I'm not a doctor but I remember briefly going over antihelmenthe (sp?) treatments in my invertebrate biology class and it seems aside from it also being an anti inflammatory it would have little to no affect to a virus.

If a virus has worms...its very effective. :ph34r:

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, azgreg said:

 

Lol.

I mean, I feel bad for him and his wife as a parent's concern knows no bounds and I wish his child a full and speedy recovery, but lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Lol.

I mean, I feel bad for him and his wife as a parent's concern knows no bounds and I wish his child a full and speedy recovery, but lol.

The tweet about his kid was in 2015. So I am assuming the kid is fine. It was just showing his change in attitude from when it wa his kid to when it became political. 

I do feel bad for his wife though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tspoke said:

The tweet about his kid was in 2015. So I am assuming the kid is fine. It was just showing his change in attitude from when it wa his kid to when it became political. 

I do feel bad for his wife though.

Ahhh... totally didn't catch that.

21 hours ago, tspoke said:

walter white GIF

:D

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2021 at 11:19 AM, Maji said:

More data for Bobby to ignore

 

From a Gallup poll at the end of September on vaccinations: the breakdown was 92% of Democrats and 56% of Republicans. So there are 5 times as many unvaxxed Republicans than there are unvaxxed Democrats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nevada6077 said:

That’s good for next election, less of them who vote

And those age 76+(silent Gen) are 19 percentage points more likely to be Republican voters. I'm surprised there haven't been any in depth data analysis done on this (although it seems 538 and other may feel like that is too close to grave-dancing).

image.png.b1b387096fc52243d648d11a6fe4ecc7.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2021 at 11:19 AM, Maji said:

More data for Bobby to ignore

 

 

On 10/16/2021 at 11:47 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Similar data from SD County. 

6D57C9F5-6DF2-400C-B577-F494C8BFC597.jpeg

BUT VERMONT IS EXPLODING!!!!  VERMONT!!!!!!!  

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...