bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

7 minutes ago, Maji said:

You convince them to get the shot by forcing their hand or making life inconvenient. If a company mandates vaccines, are most unvaccinated individuals really going to quit over it? That's unlikely, particularly if the mandate is utilized by other companies within the sector. You can also force them to take frequent, on-site testing & wear masks. Option one works better, but option two would have an impact as well.

Starting to happen.  For example the largest private school chain here in Hawaii, kamehamaha,  said no vaccine no sports for any athlete or coach

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

They don't even need to do that.  The government/media will just continue to dehumanize the unvaxxed in the upcoming months. The vitriol will grow to the point where it will be mainstream to justify more drastic federal measures to get people vaxxed, such as a vaccine mandate. 

Good. I’m all for a mandate. But it won’t happen. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

11 minutes ago, Maji said:

You convince them to get the shot by forcing their hand or making life inconvenient. If a company mandates vaccines, are most unvaccinated individuals really going to quit over it? That's unlikely, particularly if the mandate is adapted by other companies within the sector. You can also force them to take frequent tests and wear masks. Option one works better, but option two would have an impact as well.

If an employer wants to mandate it, I’m good with it. These people are going to cost their employers productivity in the form of sick days and potentially strain their company’s insurance benefits. If airlines, ballparks, and concert venues want to require proof of vaccination or a negative test, I’m good with that, too. My concern is government mandates.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Almost entirely those who chose to put themselves in that situation. 

While I agree that unvaccinated people are being idiots, they're still people

The vaccines are quite effective, but by virtue of not being 100%, a small number of vaccinated individuals will die or be hospitalized as a result of extra community spread from the unvaccinated. Dragging this out will also slow the economic recovery, harming many lives in the process.

9 minutes ago, Billings said:

Starting to happen.  For example the largest private school chain here in Hawaii, kamehamaha,  said no vaccine no sports for any athlete or coach

I'm glad to hear that. However, the vaccines have been free and easily accessible for all age groups (minus young kids) for months. I can't help but think such measures should've been implemented months ago. I'm not picking on the private school here, more companies and organizations in general.

16 minutes ago, Maji said:

While I agree that unvaccinated people are being idiots, they're still people

The vaccines are quite effective, but by virtue of not being 100%, a small number of vaccinated individuals will die or be hospitalized as a result of extra community spread from the unvaccinated. Dragging this out will also slow the economic recovery, harming many lives in the process.

Sure. But I’ve done all I can to protect them. I think more of the genuinely hesitant are getting the shot thanks to Delta. And the anti-vaxxers don’t want to be helped. No government mandate is going to change that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I don't see any great argument for them either. Mandates of that kind are going to be super counterproductive and will create far more problems than they solve, not to mention I don't trust the government enough to give them the power to mandate such things. But I agree, if a private employer or institution or schools or concert halls or whatever wants to impose requirements, that's on them. I have no problem with that sort of thing.

Jacobsen V MA in the early 20th century had the SCOTUS rule that local government can mandate vaccines.  That made sense given the scope of the small pox outbreak at the time, and in theory would still make sense in future epidemics.  I would have a big problem with the Federal government having that authority too, though.   That is a bridge too far.  Employers and school districts?  Fine with me.  Local government?  Precedent says the can and they have, kind of mixed feelings on that.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Jacobsen V MA in the early 20th century had the SCOTUS rule that local government can mandate vaccines.  That made sense given the scope of the small pox outbreak at the time, and in theory would still make sense in future epidemics.  I would have a big problem with the Federal government having that authority too, though.   That is a bridge too far.  Employers and school districts?  Fine with me.  Local government?  Precedent says the can and they have, kind of mixed feelings on that.  

Yep. It is constitutional for state or local city to mandate vaccines. Our founding fathers knew about epidemics

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I don't see any great argument for them either. Mandates of that kind are going to be super counterproductive and will create far more problems than they solve, not to mention I don't trust the government enough to give them the power to mandate such things. But I agree, if a private employer or institution or schools or concert halls or whatever wants to impose requirements, that's on them. I have no problem with that sort of thing.

Joe are you referring to private schools? I can’t really see a difference between a public school and “the government” when it comes to a mandate.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

27 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Joe are you referring to private schools? I can’t really see a difference between a public school and “the government” when it comes to a mandate.

You know with public schools any mandate will come with more holes than a block of Swiss. Gotta leave room for religious and/or philosophical objectors in most states

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

You know with public schools any mandate will come with more holes than a block of Swiss. Gotta leave room for religious and/or philosophical objectors in most states

The religious objection always cracks me up. Growing up I must have missed that week of Sunday school where Jesus preached about the evils of vaccination. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The difference being local government vs federal. I’m torn on local government being able to impose vaccine mandates, but the Supreme Court ruled in their favor so I have to roll with it. But that’s how our system is supposed to be set up. States and local government are supposed to have the majority of the power, not the Feds. We’ve allowed that to not be the case very much anymore.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The religious objection always cracks me up. Growing up I must have missed that week of Sunday school where Jesus preached about the evils of vaccination. 

Some denominations - Christian Scientists, Jehovah's Witnesses, et al - believe that they are to put their lives in God's hands.  And that doctors are not God.  There are several Bible verses that could be (and are) interpreted that way.  Perhaps a little too literally, but there ya go.

• Cheers 1

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Why should I give a shit if the UK does lockdowns again? 

• Like 1