bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You ever talked to anyone who crossed the border anywhere besides San Diego or El Paso? That is a good description of the vast majority of the border today. Compare those explanations to historical descriptions of border crossings. So, no... things really haven't changed that much in terms of the border itself. But you know, build a wall!

You should do more reading about the industrialization of the borderlands in the late 19th century and the early 20th century. There was in many instances no enforced border, outside of a jurisdiction that allowed copper miners to occasionally impose some sense of authority. 

Hmmmm... It's almost as if the border patrol made all the difference.

Don’t give me that build a wall bullshit just because you got caught over your skis. Between 1880 and 1910 emigrants from Mexico increased by 150,000. We’re at 100,000 just this past month. To take nothing away from the very real dangers of the journey today, it’s not akin to walking with pack miles on an Oregon Trail-esque venture from Central America. The logistics of movement are undeniable. You’re being ridiculous to compare a pre-industrialized Mexican border with the problems posed by the ease of modern movement.

And no, it’s not at all like the border patrol made all the difference. 1/10 of Mexico’s population emigrated after 1910 until the Great Depression hit. The finiteness was always heavily dependent on logistic and economic realities that are now a universe away from what existed in the 19th century.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

8 hours ago, Maji said:

Everything should get back to normal soon

A friend who's a PM at Google told me their annual developer conference is on in October.

I'm sticking with my original WAG estimate of normality by September.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

8 hours ago, Maji said:

CATO disagrees with labeling Biden's immigration policies as "open borders." They view Biden's immigration policies as too tough. Not that I'm a big fan of CATO.

https://www.cato.org/commentary/bidens-closed-door-immigration-policies-are-not-open-borders

Libertarians, smh.  

Actually, “duh” on what Biden’s policy-to-date has been. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

A friend who's a PM at Google told me their annual developer conference is on in October.

I'm sticking with my original WAG estimate of normality by September.

Vegas is scheduling for late summer/fall big time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Don’t give me that build a wall bullshit just because you got caught over your skis. Between 1880 and 1910 emigrants from Mexico increased by 150,000. We’re at 100,000 just this past month. To take nothing away from the very real dangers of the journey today, it’s not akin to walking with pack miles on an Oregon Trail-esque venture from Central America. The logistics of movement are undeniable. You’re being ridiculous to compare a pre-industrialized Mexican border with the problems posed by the ease of modern movement.

And no, it’s not at all like the border patrol made all the difference. 1/10 of Mexico’s population emigrated after 1910 until the Great Depression hit. The finiteness was always heavily dependent on logistic and economic realities that are now a universe away from what existed in the 19th century.

that is... not that many lawlor

• Like 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

59 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Vegas is scheduling for late summer/fall big time.

I know how ourselves and our family and friends are feeling and have to imagine there's going to be a compensatory party bump.

When we were talking about this the other night, I wondered aloud how much the Spanish Flu pandemic may have set the stage for the Gilded Age and the party decade of the Roaring '20s.

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Just now, TheSanDiegan said:

I know how ourselves and our family and friends are feeling and have to imagine there's going to be a compensatory party bump. When we were talking about this the other night, I wondered aloud how much the Spanish Flu pandemic may have set the stage for the Gilded Age and the party decade of the Roaring '20s.

Right?  

I see all kinds of doom and gloom predictions for Las Vegas' recovery. "gonna take a couple years" type stuff.  Maybe to build back full convention occupancy as those are scheduled years out but I think it will be effing bonkers around here.  People are going to be flush with stimmy money and are going to want to blow off steam like never before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Right?  

I see all kinds of doom and gloom predictions for Las Vegas' recovery. "gonna take a couple years" type stuff.  Maybe to build back full convention occupancy as those are scheduled years out but I think it will be effing bonkers around here.  People are going to be flush with stimmy money and are going to want to blow off steam like never before. 

Home game weekends for da Raiduhs will be interesting.

• Cheers 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

In a comparison to when the border was completely unregulated, yeah...it...is...Happy.

to when the combined population of Mexico and Central America was less than half what just the Northern Triangle is today and to when the population of the US was less than 1/6th what it is today (and far more heavily skewed away from border states)?

lmao lawlorwhen you get conservative knee jerky you stop being able to mwcboard

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I got my new immunizing schedule today. Going to vaccinate around 30 ppl a day for this next week, then up to over 70 per day the next two weeks, then around 140 a day thereafter (~70 for shot 1, ~70 for shot 2).  Its definitely very encouraging how many ppl are interested in being vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 3/11/2021 at 12:30 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

The thing I'm taking issue with, and have been from the start here, has less to do with the comparison between the numbers of people immigrating from Mexico during the spring of 1901 and now and has much more to do with the assertion that you appear to be defending that if we don't have borders (and by borders, you mean border security at the Southern Border as we envision it today) we won't have a nation. That our identity as a nation depends on a particular kind of security of the Southern Border. Not only is that assertion bullshit, it is ahistorical and assumes that the current concept of our the border as some hard line tied inseparably to our identity as a nation has been constant and unchanging. 

If you actually look at the history of the borderlands during the 19th and early 20th centuries, you know read about the communities and economies that were there instead of looked up a couple numbers, you'd see that the communities and economies of the American borderlands had as much connection (cultural, demographic, economic) to Mexico as they had to the rest the nation. If not much more of a connection. Goods, people, information, culture, labor all flowed freely back and forth across the border in ways that are seen today as a threat to nationhood. And yet, the idea of the nation didn't seem to be in any particular existential threat outside of general nativism which still was focused more on immigrants coming from other continents by boat. If anything, there was concern on the southern side of the border in the 1850s and 1860s because guys like William Ellis were cooking up schemes to start colonies for freed slaves, and that could mean political problems. But other than that, the Western frontier was supposedly officially closed by the 1890s according to the country's foremost historian at the time, and our very concept of what it means to be American was already forged in these very landscapes. At least that was the case according to most historians of the 20th Century until pretty late in the century. So it's unclear to me how the establishment of a red line across the entire southern border was as much of a going concern then as it is now. That's because it wasn't

So, no... the kinds of restrictions at the southern border than many people see as normal and natural parts of our national sovereignty and identity are not, in fact, normal and natural parts of our national sovereignty and identity. They are in fact products of history, and the products of political, cultural ideological processes that cause changes to the way people in a nation collectively understand what it means to be a nation. It's not just because you can get in a jeep today and cross over faster than you could 100 years ago. You're right that the economic and logistic realities are much different today than 120 years ago, but the clear sense of cause and effect (that we need a border now more than ever because of those economic and logistical changes) is off here. It is much closer to the opposite - those economic and logistical changes are as much if not more the result of the changes to the way the southern border informs nationhood than the other way around. And even then, it's complicated.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:03 PM, happycamper said:

to when the combined population of Mexico and Central America was less than half what just the Northern Triangle is today and to when the population of the US was less than 1/6th what it is today (and far more heavily skewed away from border states)?

lmao lawlorwhen you get conservative knee jerky you stop being able to mwcboard

I don’t what point you think you’re making, but you’re like a child wandering into the middle of a movie. Thank you for redundantly making my point that the situations aren’t comparable, so maybe jumping on Toonkee by pointing to the fluidity of the border in the 1850’s isn’t where it’s at. There was nothing conservative or even political in anything I said, unless pointing out the obviously vast difference in numbers and logistics of movement to refute a silly comparison is knee jerky conservative. I’m guilty on that count, I guess.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.