bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

Crazy anecdote from my parents.

My parents had it last year but recovered. Afterward my dads knee was in pain. It started getting bad and he was having trouble going up and down stairs. He scheduled a doctors appointment to check it out. A couple weeks ago they got their first vaccine shot. Dad didn't feel great for the next day but then the next day he woke up and felt fine and his knee felt great again. Canceled his appointment.

Not making any claims and it could just be a coincidence but thought it was pretty crazy and this virus is a weird one.

NM

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Damn Californians hoarding the vaccine supply!!! My wife and I are both in the age group eligible to be vaccinated and we can’t even sign up because the weekly allocated supply is already spoken for in five minutes on a Monday morning. 

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

4xnm57.jpg

Unless you live in the Valley. Then no Vax for you!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Damn Californians hoarding the vaccine supply!!! My wife and I are both in the age group eligible to be vaccinated and we can’t even sign up because the weekly allocated supply is already spoken for in five minutes on a Monday morning. 

In all fairness, how many people are in the genpop where you live? Because here, in the second-most populous county the state (3.3 million souls), we have become the singular largest hotspot for the emergence of the UK variant, and given our status as a global aerospace and biotech hub, there are a shitton of O&D pax coming to and leaving from SD every day.

And don't forget we're the home port for the 7th fleet and home to the largest USMC installation on the planet... you want to be safe from all those migrant caravans and Russians! Russians! Russians! don't you? 

Thus, with a large population base, a vast majority of whom are still susceptible, the emergence of a far more contagious strain, our strategic importance to the security of the homeland, and the threat of transmissibility based on mobility models, IMO it is a smart play to prioritize certain locations over others.

So maybe there's a method to the madness? :shrug:

ETA: Think of the vaccine distribution as being more like the House than the Senate.

• Angry 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Unless you live in the Valley. Then no Vax for you!

Yep, the Central Valley is facing a vaccine shortage. Teachers were supposed to be next on the list, but we've been told that might not happen until April. Our district sent out vaccine notices back in January that we will be able to sign up mid February, but we got another notification last week that sign ups have been postponed until further notice. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

Just now, ridgeview2 said:

Yep, the Central Valley is facing a vaccine shortage. Teachers were supposed to be next on the list, but we've been told that might not happen until April. Our district sent out vaccine notices back in January that we will be able to sign up mid February, but we got another notification last week that sign ups have been postponed until further notice. 

I'm at the back end of educators since I teach at a university, so I'm not expecting anything any time soon. My parents and MIL have both received their first shots though, and they both live in the Valley. I'm not expecting to get mine until at least late spring. If I can get the shots by the summer and enough people are vaxed to get schools and universities back to in-person teaching by the fall, I'll consider it a victory. But one with a ton of cost... what has amounted to a functionally lost year of education for so many students (especially disadvantaged students, which we have in droves here) will be devastating for years. I'm not sure what education looks like for the next decade... we may just need a reset and have a ton of kids who repeat a grade. I wonder if that's going to be the answer. 

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

My wife’s aunt has been age group eligible, in California, for a few weeks and can not sign up for a vaccination. My brother in law was supposedly eligible as a field worker, and my county just started vaccinating field workers last week. Unfortunately, he died, of COVID, a month and a half ago. 

• Sad 3

On 2/10/2021 at 12:55 PM, soupslam1 said:

If people start wearing multiple masks we’ll all need to learn signing. 

what?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 2/10/2021 at 9:29 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

I mean... this stress test almost tore us apart. 1 -2 more epidemics that are as debilitating but not endangering as the coronavirus and I doubt that there is an American superpower left to oppose them. And what would we do about it? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

It's probably been mentioned on here already, but this was the first time I've heard about it. I knew that New York underreport COVID deaths in nursing homes, but to blatantly cover it up and lie about it? I said this from the very beginning, I don't see why people think Cuomo is some golden boy. He sent thousands of elderly people to their deaths and he should answer for it. Democrats need to put up or shut up and make Cuomo face the consequences.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/02/12/if-andrew-cuomo-doesnt-resign-he-should-be-removed-office/%3foutputType=amp

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 minute ago, ridgeview2 said:

It's probably been mentioned on here already, but this was the first time I've heard about it. I knew that New York underreport COVID deaths in nursing homes, but to blatantly cover it up and lie about it? I said this from the very beginning, I don't see why people think Cuomo is some golden boy. He sent thousands of elderly people to their deaths and he should answer for it. Democrats need to put up or shut up and make Cuomo face the consequences.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/02/12/if-andrew-cuomo-doesnt-resign-he-should-be-removed-office/%3foutputType=amp

The media worship of Cuomo is ridiculous. He needs to be held accountable, but the MSM probably thinks holding him to account is having him going on his brother’s show for some softball questions. 

• Cheers 1

There were more than 46,000 vaccinations delivered in San Diego County today. Among those were my parents, who received their second shot. 

In another three weeks, they will no longer be on lockdown and dependent on my wife and I to shop for them, and will be able to return to some resemblance of their pre-pandemic normal routine.

• Like 4

On 2/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, soupslam1 said:

Maybe take it up with your governor (since we're not the boss of you)? Or the former president who fubar'd every aspect of the federal government's response including the last mile of the vaccine's logistical supply chain?

• Cheers 1