bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Utah going into full lockdown.  Governor has asked that there be no gathering with more than 100 people.  Schools preparing to shut down and offer online instruction (at least my kids’ district), BYU/USU move to online, all extracurricular activities canceled (kids sports, etc), LDS church on global hiatus, etc.  

I thought this was an excellent explanation why Utah isnt overreacting 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Jfc isn’t deregulation wonderful?

Like those unregulated nasty ass Chinese wet markets that got us into this mess in the first place?

• Like 1

Just now, toonkee said:

Like those unregulated nasty ass Chinese wet markets that got us into this mess in the first place?

Eh it’s a balance. You want a light enough touch to be able to get vital medical tests and drugs out quickly, but not so light that humans contract wild animal diseases from disgusting markets.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

To your first question, I was using “red tape” to refer generally to the delay in testing when the administration refused to use tests that already existed. As far as I have seen, nobody from the Trump administration has given a satisfactory response when directly questioned as to why they did not use the WHO test. 

To your second question... I mean... yes? Why wouldn’t I be disappointed to have a president that doesn’t respond like an adult? 

I'm not familiar with the WHO test. Most affected places were using their own tests because of the unavailability of approved kits, including the faulty CDC approved tests. Which is what Trump was crowing about with regard to removing Obama era restrictions. Roche has announced a rapid test for COVID today so it's really no one's fault with that regard.

Fear mongering from the media on top of trying stop Trump at all costs isn't doing the public any favors. I remember the Swine Flu pandemic from 2009 that infected 61 million Americans and I don't recall the media attacking Obama about the response to the crises on the scale we've seen with Trump. Network media went into an uproar when Trump shot down a Democrat sponsored bill to aid people financially for sick leave, but we the public don't know what was in the actual bill. Who knows how many riders were attached to it under the disguise of the aid bill. I'm just sick of this partisan tit-for-tat bullshit. Phuck all those politicians. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Eh it’s a balance. You want a light enough touch to be able to get vital medical tests and drugs out quickly, but not so light that humans contract wild animal diseases from disgusting markets.

Maybe this recent episode will finally get those markets closed. The Chinese are no different from anyone else about trying not to die.

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Isn't appropriate regulation great?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Maybe this recent episode will finally get those markets closed. The Chinese are no different from anyone else about trying not to die.

The Chinese people sure. I don’t think their government cares so long as they don’t get the blame, which isn’t all that different from our guy at the top. Still, we’re allowed to bitch about this in public...for now.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Fear mongering from the media on top of trying stop Trump at all costs isn't doing the public any favors. I remember the Swine Flu pandemic from 2009 that infected 61 million Americans and I don't recall the media attacking Obama about the response to the crises on the scale we've seen with Trump. Network media went into an uproar when Trump shot down a Democrat sponsored bill to aid people financially for sick leave, but we the public don't know what was in the actual bill. Who knows how many riders were attached to it under the disguise of the aid bill. I'm just sick of this partisan tit-for-tat bullshit. Phuck all those politicians. 

That H1N1 flu is way more, from my perspective, scary. It's still around by the way. The interesting thing about that was the over 200k deaths from H1N1, 80 percent were in people under 65, the opposite of this COVID. Imagine the economic impact if the reaction to that are to the degree of COVID. As an aside, there's a doctor in Madrid with COVID that's being interviewed on the major networks who says that the Influenza he had last Winter was way more severe. With COVID, he's had a couple of days of headaches and low grade temps without the muscle aches etc... that he had with influenza. Hopefully that will calm the hysteria about toliet paper.

• Like 1

Satellite images appear to show Iran is digging mass graves. I’d think twice about believing those numbers out of the police states.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/13/middleeast/iran-coronavirus-mass-graves-intl/index.html

1200.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

That H1N1 flu is way more, from my perspective, scary. It's still around by the way. The interesting thing about that was the over 200k deaths from H1N1, 80 percent were in people under 65, the opposite of this COVID. Imagine the economic impact if the reaction to that are to the degree of COVID. As an aside, there's a doctor in Madrid with COVID that's being interviewed on the major networks who says that the Influenza he had last Winter was way more severe. With COVID, he's had a couple of days of headaches and low grade temps without the muscle aches etc... that he had with influenza. Hopefully that will calm the hysteria about toliet paper.

Yeah the big fear on college campuses was that the H1N1 flu was deadlier to the younger demographic. If we had the level of mass hysteria back then like we have today the country would have imploded. The reason why we are seeing so many events and sports being cancelled isn't out of fear of the virus, it's the fear of dealing with the social media backlash. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg