bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

22 minutes ago, Billings said:

I am on the Big Island.  Slower pace and not as many tourists.   People have been great here

I will spend my last years there. It's predetermined.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Billings said:

I am on the Big Island.  Slower pace and not as many tourists.   People have been great here

Shhh, you are going to let the secret out. It is our favorite. Have gotten to know some locals over the years.

The slower pace on the Big Island is great. Tourists who want lots of activity need to stay away and go to Oahu or Maui instead.

• Like 1

President Donald Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, boasted in mid-April about how the President had cut out the doctors and scientists advising him on the unfolding coronavirus pandemic, comments that came as more than 40,000 Americans already had died from the virus, which was ravaging New York City.

In a taped interview on April 18, Kushner told legendary journalist Bob Woodward that Trump was "getting the country back from the doctors" in what he called a "negotiated settlement." Kushner also proclaimed that the US was moving swiftly through the "panic phase" and "pain phase" of the pandemic and that the country was at the "beginning of the comeback phase."

"That doesn't mean there's not still a lot of pain and there won't be pain for a while, but that basically was, we've now put out rules to get back to work," Kushner said. "Trump's now back in charge. It's not the doctors."

The statement reflected a political strategy. Instead of following the health experts' advice, Trump and Kushner were focused on what would help the President on Election Day. By their calculations, Trump would be the "open-up president."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/28/politics/woodward-kushner-coronavirus-doctors/index.html

lovely.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:29 AM, Del Scorcho said:

so we've reached this point in my state 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/health/utah-hospitals-care-rationing-covid/index.html

note: we are also the youngest state in the nation

I call BS...  was just in a Utah County hospital yesterday and was told their ICU is below 50% occupancy.  One of my best friends is over some infectious disease program in another hospital who tells me they too are under 50% occupancy.  The Utah Dept of Health reported just yesterday that ICU occupancy in the state is at 70.4%.  There may be some hospitals here or there at capacity but that’s probably about it.  If a SLC hospital is overrun, transfer patients to a hospital with capacity because there is plenty available for now.

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

I call BS...  was just in a Utah County hospital yesterday and was told their ICU is below 50% occupancy.  One of my best friends is over some infectious disease program in another hospital who tells me they too are under 50% occupancy.  The Utah Dept of Health reported just yesterday that ICU occupancy in the state is at 70.4%.  There may be some hospitals here or there at capacity but that’s probably about it.  If a SLC hospital is overrun, transfer patients to a hospital with capacity because there is plenty available for now.

Utah hospitalizations have gone down the last few days, which is great news.  But hospitalizations seem to lag behind case counts by several days, so lets hope it doesn't rise again.

and 10 people died yesterday, so that opens up some room

• Cheers 1

glancing at google news today and noticed one article referencing a 7 hour flight to Ireland that resulted in 59 people catching the virus.

underneath that article is one that claims flying is safer than grocery shopping

and there’s another that claims your more likely to get struck by lightning than catching the virus on a plane

so …

32 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

glancing at google news today and noticed one article referencing a 7 hour flight to Ireland that resulted in 59 people catching the virus.

underneath that article is one that claims flying is safer than grocery shopping

and there’s another that claims your more likely to get struck by lightning than catching the virus on a plane

so …

Clickbait for the muh freedom crowd to have a ton of cookies on their computer/phone.  I think it is fairly unanimous with the scientists, and anecdotally that the latter articles don't make much sense.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The virus is now spreading to less populated states. That shouldn’t be a surprise. The lag factor is real. 

I called this months ago. It would take a bit of time for it to hit places like Wyoming and Montana, but once it did, it would make footholds and spread. Which is exactly what happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

new record of cases today in the US, worse day so far in the pandemic 85,837 cases

or are we still rounding that corner?

tenor.gif

We're still rounding the corner of rounding the corner.

Soccer superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic is known to have a high opinion of himself.

AC Milan forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who has recently recovered after testing positive for coronavirus, has joined an information campaign, telling the public to respect social distancing and wear a mask.

"The virus challenged me and I won," he said. "But you are not Zlatan, don't challenge the virus.

2 minutes ago, RSF said:

AC Milan forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who has recently recovered after testing positive for coronavirus, has joined an information campaign, telling the public to respect social distancing and wear a mask.

"The virus challenged me and I won," he said. "But you are not Zlatan, don't challenge the virus.

Dude is so badass

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

Yup. He and 99.9997% of others his age that get the virus. So badass. But we are not Zlatan.

39 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Dude is so badass

Amazing how talented he is, and he still can have an ego even bigger than his talent....:D

Seeing Zlatan and AC Milan destroy the Europa League this year is not even fair. I watched some of AC Milan and Celtic (my favorite team, them, Rangers and Liverpool). Wasn't a fair fight!