bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

I'm getting really tired of seeing teachers get shit on for simply wanting to protect themselves and their families. I became a teacher because I want to inspire my students and help them be prepared for the real world once they graduate. I'm not in this profession for the money, so it really irks me when I hear dumbshits on Fox News say teachers are wanting to stop the opening of schools so they can sit at home and get paid without doing any work. 

I phucking hate this pandemic because I'm not in my classroom with my students. Every teacher I know hates distance learning, because we are limited on how we can teach. I hate seeing my students struggle and I feel helpless because they are behind a computer screen and I can't support them. I'm busting my ass every day for these kids and between answering emails, phoning parents, lesson planning and grading, I'm averaging 3-4 hours of sleep per night. 

With all that being said, I want to feel SAFE in my classroom. I want schools to open and get kids back on campus, but only if it's safe and right now with cases spiraling out of control, it's not safe. Teachers get sick then they are out and the districts bring in subs. Substitute teachers are not offered health insurance from the districts, so they are going into a potentially hazardous environment with no safety net. My wife is out of work, I'm the only one bringing in a paycheck, and we are currently taking care of my mother-in-law who has COPD and muscular dystrophy. I want to wait until after the first of the year before we go back to in-school learning, but we are getting prepped to open on November 30th even though Kern County went back to the purple tier on Tuesday. 

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1
  • Angry 1

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

23 hours ago, Bob said:

Who would have thought the spark of freedom burns most brightly in Europe? I'm simultaneously jealous of the German people and ashamed of my countrymen.

The last couple times the Germans did some 'rising' it didnt work out all that great for anyone. 

• Like 4

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

They are more enlightened now

Everyone considered them more enlightened then, too. 

• Like 3

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

11 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

All you did was post a link to the Alpine School District’s site’s dashboard. No analysis. No comparison to to Utah County stats. 

@halfmanhalfbronco I’m trying to be nice here, but at what point do I either go full bore or say this place isn’t worth it?

Being right and still being annoyed with other posters who are wrong but act right... Now you're really #MWCBoarding!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

9382471A-D2AE-4CBE-A980-E652E60BFF68.jpeg.60af694abd2bcb59b8627a87926c9c22.jpeg

I'm about to undergo the hero's journey today seeking some basic sundries. Should I bring a wizard with me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Blue voodoo said:

I don't believe the numbers I know of people that went to get tested and never did cause it was going to take to long and left. Days later they get a letter in the mail that they tested positive but never got tested I know a few like this.

I've actually had patients tell me this too.

15 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm about to undergo the hero's journey today seeking some basic sundries. Should I bring a wizard with me?

If you have a wizard available, why would you not bring them everywhere?

• Like 3

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

If you have a wizard available, why would you not bring them everywhere?

He's a total science denier, and is kinda agro about it. So I'll only drag him along if the benefits outweigh the costs. 

41nMcPTQJRwGDFUFkc_DFy2HngLoNdiOOPpTEYeP

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Everyone considered them more enlightened then, too. 

One of my takeaways from a Holocaust and Genocide Studies course was that if it was capable of happening in Germany then, something similar is possible in other developed nations still

22 hours ago, Maji said:

I hope we are in his far upper range of total infections. That would put us at near 25% infected. Mid-range 15%. Add in X% that have some cross-immunity, and we don’t know what X is(it’s >0), we can get 30m dosed w/vaccines by early January, we aren’t at herd immunity, but should be enough to get the Rt enough below 1 to get this thing turned around. 

Gu has the Rt barely above 1 even now if you dig into his projections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

People shouldn't clutch their pearls too much on gallows humor in tough workplaces. If you all only knew what reporters betted on in the newsrooms of America.

• Like 1