bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

5 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

I'm looking forward to a Sweden trip.  My sister and niece had a June trip planned, but of course that got cancelled.  I wasn't going this year, but I'm now planning on joining in next summer or fall (or 2022).  We have relatives there we have met and communicate with.  The house my grandfather was born in --- 1882 -- is still standing.  He died a few weeks before I was born, but my sister was his favorite.

That's awesome. I didn't realize you had connections there. I'd imagine it's a great place to visit in the summer

• Like 1

a couple of interesting tidbits from the Salt Lake Tribune over the weekend. 

- Utah has roughly 500 people in the hospital with COVID. 

- only 51.6% of those hospitalized have a confirmed preexisting condition

About a quarter (23%) of all Utahns hospitalized due to COVID-19 are between 25 and 44. Another third (34%) are between 45 and 64. while 29% of those hospitalized are 65 to 84. The rest come from those 15 to 24 (7%) and 85-plus (5%). Average age is 54.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/11/14/who-is-utahs-hospitals/?fbclid=IwAR2bF6_9yPObQNfO-SS6498gEvD41Xg_Mk7yzqM16fo1ZX27b_9LkRh1yp8

Jay Inslee just banned Thanksgiving.  Also have to wonder if AP #1 Gonzaga is going to relocate to North Idaho College in CDA or something? They are scheduled to open up the season in Florida vs. #6 Kansas on Nov. 26th.

All indoor sporting activities are prohibited.  Pretty cold to have to practice outside.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/gov-inslee-orders-sweeping-restrictions-on-indoor-gatherings-restaurants-bars-gyms-as-covid-19-cases-surge-in-washington-state/

4 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Jay Inslee just banned Thanksgiving.  Also have to wonder if AP #1 Gonzaga is going to relocate to North Idaho College in CDA or something? They are scheduled to open up the season in Florida vs. #6 Kansas on Nov. 26th.

All indoor sporting activities are prohibited.  Pretty cold to have to practice outside.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/gov-inslee-orders-sweeping-restrictions-on-indoor-gatherings-restaurants-bars-gyms-as-covid-19-cases-surge-in-washington-state/

They are allowing exceptions with NCAA and the NFL, because of the protocols and testing.  I am sure Gonzaga has the funds to make it work.  Not sure about Seattle or non-D1 though.

51 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

They are allowing exceptions with NCAA and the NFL, because of the protocols and testing.  I am sure Gonzaga has the funds to make it work.  Not sure about Seattle or non-D1 though.

Are you sure about that?  New Mexico's Governor isn't giving exemptions, and I don't see it in the WA proclamations from Inslee either.

New Mexico has moved their football program to Vegas and last I heard was looking at alternate basketball cities to relocate to as well.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ron-kantowski/new-mexico-football-team-finds-new-home-at-sam-boyd-stadium-2183660/

8 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Are you sure about that?  New Mexico's Governor isn't giving exemptions, and I don't see it in the WA proclamations from Inslee either.

New Mexico has moved their football program to Vegas and last I heard was looking at alternate basketball cities to relocate to as well.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ron-kantowski/new-mexico-football-team-finds-new-home-at-sam-boyd-stadium-2183660/

Inslee's speech transcript from restriction announcement

Dow Constantine: (56:03)
Hi Governor, two questions. One, do you have an estimate on how long these new restrictions and shutdowns will be in place? And two, what’s the effect on these new regulations on sporting events? Are the Seahawks and Huskies going to still be playing in Washington? And if so, why?

Governor Inslee: (56:26)
Yeah, this is four weeks. These restrictions are limited to four weeks. We would hope that we will have progress and that, that would be the limit of these restrictions. Obviously, no one has any guarantees on that, but four weeks is about the minimal length of time where we would have a reasonable way of assessing whether this is having an impact or not. So it is our hope that it would be limited to four weeks. The sporting industry does not change in any way that I can think of at the moment, the Seahawks or the Cougars and Huskies, in their endeavors.

Speaker 2: (57:03)
David, did you want to ask a follow-up?

Dow Constantine: (57:06)
Yeah. If you’re asking people in their own outdoor gatherings to limit it to five people outside their household, why are we having professional football games with 50 people outside their household gathered together?

Governor Inslee: (57:21)
Well, for one thing, these teams on the college and pro level have been able to demonstrate their rigorous protocols, including very rigorous testing hygiene, that we think gives us a good degree of confidence that can be done safely. When you get into informal situations where you don’t have anyone checking every day whether you’ve stayed in the bubble and whether you’ve done the testing, it’s a very, very different situation. Nick, would you like to address that at all?

Nick: (57:54)
I think you covered it very well, Governor. The professional teams and the college teams have very rigorous plans that have been negotiated with the players association that involve very rigorous testing and lots of additional protocols

So I see what you may be going in regards to basketball with it being indoors, but I am guessing they are going to give basketball a shot too.  Football is all good though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Guys. Democrat governors are literally telling you you cannot have Thanksgiving or see your family. They think people should not be allowed to think for themselves or have freedom. To those of you who vote Democrat - are you sick of this bullshit, yet? Or do you crave more seizures of your freedom?

Yeah, keep spreading misinformation Bob.

The REAL reason why people are being urged to stay home comes from;

1. Covid infections are already spiking all over the place.

2. Hospitals and healthcare workers are already being pushed to the brink.

3. Many of those traveling/being visited would be those most at risk of contracting and becoming VERY ill from Covid.

4. Use some common sense; stay home and stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Guys. Democrat governors are literally telling you you cannot have Thanksgiving or see your family. They think people should not be allowed to think for themselves or have freedom. To those of you who vote Democrat - are you sick of this bullshit, yet? Or do you crave more seizures of your freedom?

More sick of stupid people. Bob. 

• Like 1

Republican governors are banning large gatherings and making masks mandatory in nearly all situations. The GOP is literally telling people they should not be allowed to think for themselves or have freedom.

Iowa's Republican governor signed into effect today:

After months of rebuffing calls for a broad mask mandate to fight COVID-19, Gov. Kim Reynolds announced Monday evening that all people ages 2 and older must wear a face covering when in an indoor space that is open to the public and if they will be within six feet for 15 minutes or more of people who are not members of their household.

There are several exceptions, including people eating or drinking at bars and restaurants, people with medical disabilities that prevent wearing face coverings, and people participating in religious services.

The proclamation, set to go into effect at midnight Tuesday and expire at 11:59 p.m. Dec. 10, also bans indoor gatherings of 15 people or more and outdoor gatherings of 30 or more.

Those prohibitions include wedding and funeral receptions, family gatherings and other nonessential indoor gatherings of people who do not live or work together.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2020/11/16/iowa-governor-reynolds-expands-mask-requirements-cuts-bar-dining-hours-fight-covid-19/6314167002/