bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

4 hours ago, toonkee said:

Sweden has 10 million people. We have 35x that.  Now of course they are still much lower by percentage but let's be fair.

Back when this thing was just starting I heard an interview where they said a big advantage Sweden (and really all the Scandinavian countries) had is that multigenerational homes aren’t as common as they are in the U.S. According to the interviewee in Scandinavian countries its much more common for adults to live alone or with only their immediate families, making it much easier to social distance and quarantine (when needed). This makes it naturally easier for these countries to slow the spread even if they do nothing.

7 hours ago, Bob said:

For young healthy people Sweden had the same death rate as their neighbors. 

point is that they have a lower overall death rate than us and it’s OVER there. Their life is NORMAL they will have minimal excess mortality this year. They won COVID 19. We’ve got hundreds of thousands of mentally injured people that will never recover this. Ever. 

the damage to our country and society is so exponentially more than Sweden s it’s even asinine to compare

It is not over in Europe. It is not even the beginning of the end. But maybe it could be said, it is the end of the beginning.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/can-europe-tame-pandemic-s-next-wave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

22 hours ago, toonkee said:

Sweden has 10 million people. We have 35x that.  Now of course they are still much lower by percentage but let's be fair.

What I really find hilarious about the "Sweden" comparisons is how many times I've heard "we're not Sweden!", when discussing things like healthcare, social mobility, crime, etc.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

What I really find hilarious about the "Sweden" comparisons is how many times I've heard "we're not Sweden!", when discussing things like healthcare, social mobility, crime, etc.

Right? 

I guess the appropriate retort is to bring up Venezuela?

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Bob said:

Better hide in your basement! 
The article is based on the tired narrative of only cases. How many are dying in Europe? Post an article about that now 

Western Europe got laid waste in the first surge. That’s part of your argument dummy. The low hanging fruit got killed off quick like we saw in the northeast. Try to keep up Bob. Nobody knows how the second wave is going to turn out, but things are not back to normal in Europe. 

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

56 minutes ago, renoskier said:

We’re not like Sweden.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

What’s so funny? It is within the realm of reason that you can like some attributes and policies of a country and dislike others. I feel the same about the US. 

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

Got laid waste? Lol. You’re a moron. What .01 percent of their population died from Covid? Get a grip.  No one is dying anymore. Did you miss that? Why isn’t anyone dying anymore

Over 150,000 dead you sagging mangina. Once again, you show the compassion ability to human of an anal wart.

Maybe - just maybe - Europe isn't at present realizing the same death count we are because they don't have f*cktards in charge warring with their own public health agencies like we do. 

And yes, as we head towards winter both influenza (hence the nickname seasonal flu) and coronavirus infections (why do you think they call it a cold?) trend up. 

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

27 minutes ago, Bob said:

Got laid waste? Lol. You’re a moron. What .01 percent of their population died from Covid? Get a grip.  No one is dying anymore. Did you miss that? Why isn’t anyone dying anymore

Europe cleared 200,000 deaths in early July. It did so while being economically crunched even worse than the US while taking similar shutdown measures. people are dying less because we’ve got a better handle on treating the disease and drumroll....we didn’t listen to Bob from the outset! Get a grip. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 4:56 PM, Bob said:

No hospital was overwhelmed. Trump came through big time. Bend the curve! All you COVID crazies, wasn't that the whole point?#winning #somuchwinning

Interesting...because we just got finished watching a story on local tv about hospitals in the Rio Grande Valley that are at or over capacity right now.

Fortunately, admissions are starting to drop.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

23 minutes ago, RSF said:

Interesting...because we just got finished watching a story on local tv about hospitals in the Rio Grande Valley that are at or over capacity right now.

Fortunately, admissions are starting to drop.

Pretty easy to overwhelm hospitals in rural areas which have about ten beds. 

Frankies is an iconic dive bar in Vegas. I found this poignant. I'm not looking to get into a finger pointing thing here, just saying there's a crap ton of people in LV right now that need some love. Sucks...

EhNTVL9U4AAfGxI.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob said:

150k of sick old people died out of what 400 million people in Europe? Your brain is broken if you think that is a macro level problem. I can’t express it any better than that. There’s a lot more to life than living as long as possible when you’re already really really old and really really sick. +++++.  We’re ruining society over this. It’s so tremendously +++++ing stupid. What is this year’s economic contraction going to be in the USA? Definitely over ten percent. And it’s owed to your ilk

Bob, you filthy pirate whore. It's about excess deaths. Or are you suggesting that old people m general deserve to be put down as did the eugenics-loving nazi nuthuggers of yesteryear? 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

So January 1, 2020, if I told you that the USA would have deaths this year that exceeded the previous year by 5% in the coming year, not just anyone, but really really old and really really sick people, would you have said it would be appropriate to shut the country down and cause a Great Depression-like economic contraction and ruin countless lives and rob our children of education and valuable, irreplaceable life experiences and memories all while causing a massive spike in suicides and child and sex abuse and domestic violence?

I can appreciate that take Bob; I'll just leave it at that.

4 hours ago, Bob said:

So January 1, 2020, if I told you that the USA would have deaths this year that exceeded the previous year by 5% in the coming year, not just anyone, but really really old and really really sick people, would you have said it would be appropriate to shut the country down and cause a Great Depression-like economic contraction and ruin countless lives and rob our children of education and valuable, irreplaceable life experiences and memories all while causing a massive spike in suicides and child and sex abuse and domestic violence?

Interesting take. Except that 5%(if that is what the final number is going to be, I'm not sure) is with all the restrictions in place and the damage to the economy. What would the number had been if without those policies? What number would make it worth it to you? 

Also do you have any numbers on the spike in suicides and domestic violence. I have not seen any statistics on it and wonder how big of a spike we are talking about.

32 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Interesting take. Except that 5%(if that is what the final number is going to be, I'm not sure) is with all the restrictions in place and the damage to the economy. What would the number had been if without those policies? What number would make it worth it to you? 

Also do you have any numbers on the spike in suicides and domestic violence. I have not seen any statistics on it and wonder how big of a spike we are talking about.

It's really way too soon to say. Accurate stats won't be available for at least 6 more months.

Suicide rates have been increasing since 1999. About 1%/year between 1999 and 2006, and about 2%/year since then. :(

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db362.htm

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tspoke said:

It's too early to get good numbers but it's a very big concern in the medical commmunity. JAMA reported the highest rate of suicides this year since 1941. Child abuse, anxiety and depression not to mention opioid abuse has risen dramatically and mainly go untreated with the restrictions on hospital and office visits. Now that the restrictions have relaxed somewhat, people are still not going in until there is a crisis. I know I've referred more people than I ever have for behavioral health issues. It's just speculation, but some "experts" are saying 150k deaths in the UK from those causes fwiw. Seems awfully high but who knows.

• Like 1