bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

23 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Jesus Christ.

Hopefully the others in the house aren't compromised, or some of the early concerns could be realized.  Unfortunately, the odds get higher in a state like MS with higher rates of weight-related conditions.  Also, when did schools start in early August?  Is this summer school?

3 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Hopefully the others in the house aren't compromised, or some of the early concerns could be realized.  Unfortunately, the odds get higher in a state like MS with higher rates of weight-related conditions.  Also, when did schools start in early August?  Is this summer school?

Schools have been starting this early for a while. Or at least for as long as I've had kids in school. My twins going into 4th grade head back out here in NC (virtually) a week from today. My 8th grader out in California starts virtually next Wednesday.

24 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Schools have been starting this early for a while. Or at least for as long as I've had kids in school. My twins going into 4th grade head back out here in NC (virtually) a week from today. My 8th grader out in California starts virtually next Wednesday.

I never knew.  It's like a war on summer for the kids. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, East Coast Aztec said:

I mean... we throw kids in for profit prisons in a pay for conviction model so it's kinda just been a war on kids for a while :ph34r:

• Like 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean... we throw kids in for profit prisons in a pay for conviction model so it's kinda just been a war on kids for a while :ph34r:

not-for-profit prisons are much more of a threat in the war on kids than for profit prisons. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

not-for-profit prisons are much more of a threat in the war on kids than for profit prisons. 

bigger overall threat, but generally less appalling conditions. Have you read about Judge Ciavarella and Mark Slattery?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

meh, 10 weeks is 10 weeks.  My kid starts next week, but she is finished around Memorial Day.  Back in the day, I didnt start until near Labor Day, but I was in school until mid June.  Two different parts of the country, different generations.  Same 10 weeks.  And she gets a fall break that I never got, and a longer winter break.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

meh, 10 weeks is 10 weeks.  My kid starts next week, but she is finished around Memorial Day.  Back in the day, I didnt start until near Labor Day, but I was in school until mid June.  Two different parts of the country, different generations.  Same 10 weeks.  And she gets a fall break that I never got, and a longer winter break.

They changed the back end with the front end, makes sense.  I have no kids, so what do I know (or really care)?

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

bigger overall threat, but generally less appalling conditions. Have you read about Judge Ciavarella and Mark Slattery?

No, I haven't. I'm sure it's awful. I don't like for-profit prisons at all. I don't think they should be legal. Some reporting I've read has been surrounding for-profit work programs that are basically prisons for people who are convicted of drug offenses that are disgusting. But I always push back when for-profit prisons are seen as the issue in prison reform. I'd put it way down on the list. Blaming them, IMO, is often a way to blame capitalism when the actual problem is the power of the state.

But I get you were throwing that out there with some mischievousness. You're not one of those people. I'm just being difficult. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

No, I haven't. I'm sure it's awful. I don't like for-profit prisons at all. I don't think they should be legal. Some reporting I've read has been surrounding for-profit work programs that are basically prisons for people who are convicted of drug offenses that are disgusting. But I always push back when for-profit prisons are seen as the issue in prison reform. I'd put it way down on the list. Blaming them, IMO, is often a way to blame capitalism when the actual problem is the power of the state.

But I get you were throwing that out there with some mischievousness. You're not one of those people. I'm just being difficult. 

ha. Well here ya go; try to enjoy the rest of the day, I guess. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20160129022007/https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123854010220075533

http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/prisoners-of-profit?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009 

https://www.templelawreview.org/lawreview/assets/uploads/2016/08/Guggenheim-Hertz-88-Temp.-L.-Rev.-653.pdf

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Thanks for the links. I'll read them when I am in a really, really good mood and need a little more balance in my life. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, pokerider said:

so wtf is going on in Mississippi?   Why is it so bad there.  Do they all just slobber all over each other or something?  

It's kids.  Doubt they are that diligent with washing hands, covering sneezes and coughs, not touching a bunch of stuff, including each other.  Just young savages.

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The Miss. outbreak is something that should be expected when school resumes I don’t care how many precautions a school takes. Want to see a spike? We haven’t seen anything like we’ll see when kids start school and bring the virus home. 

I agree we should expect it, but I hope it doesn't kick off a shitstorm with parents/grandparents.  The reaction could be drastic, and the governors could make some decisions that just tick more folks off.

The percentage of deaths occurring in nursing homes and assisted living facilities has crept up to 45%. It's getting worse, it was 40% a couple months ago.

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nursing-home-crisis-by-the-numbers-3a47433c3f70

110926run_defense710.jpg

On 8/2/2020 at 9:17 PM, NVGiant said:

Quick update. My wife’s cousin has taken a turn for the worse. Barring a miracle, she’s not going to make it. Pretty sad. Just 43.

Unfortunately, a final update. At 5:30 a.m., my wife's cousin Senta died at age 43. So very sad.

Thank you all for the well wishes. 

• Sad 19

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Unfortunately, a final update. At 5:30 a.m., my wife's cousin Senta died at age 43. So very sad.

Thank you all for the well wishes. 

I’m sorry for your loss. 

• Cheers 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.