bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

17 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Sticking it to the government just for the sake of it is immature and stupid. I'll agree with that, even as someone who thinks that the government deserves to get stuck from time to time. 

I’ll add to your earlier point, too. If you were out protesting in a huge group, and then lecturing the right about its behavior, you’re in all likelihood a hypocrite. That much is pretty plain to see.

"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not."

Those were the final words of a 30-year-old patient who died at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio this week after attending a so-called "COVID party," according to the hospital.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital, said in a recorded statement that the unidentified patient told nurses about the party, which she said is hosted by someone diagnosed with coronavirus.

"The thought is people get together to see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected," Appleby said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/30-year-man-dies-attending-covid-party-thinking/story?id=71731414&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Damn.

Trump's utter failure has been his strategy for a "states rights" "decentralized" "no federal plan" response to the virus.  Well...nevermind....the "federalists" now want to defund schools if they don't open up with a top down mandate.  Suddenly the Governors and the school districts are too stupid to know when and how to open up their own districts without the feds threatening to cut their funding.  

Posted Image

4 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Fox News has added 2 more "wear a mask" PSAs to the Hannity one they started playing on July 2. I posted a link to Hannity's PSA back on July 2 in this thread.

In the 2 new PSAs nearly all of the situations where people are wearing masks are outdoors.

Welcome to April 2020 Fox News

On 7/11/2020 at 6:28 PM, NVGiant said:

We’d need a leader to do that. We don’t have it. So we did the next-most American thing we could: we pushed responsibility down the line until there was nobody left to take any responsibility. And anyone who tried was either labeled a tyrant, if they work in government, or a sheep, if they were an individual who tried to do their part.

we’re a bigger country. But that doesn’t explain why we are performing so poorly. Western Europe is free with a larger, denser population and they are performing better even after they were hit harder initially.

As for our values? I don’t know what those are supposed to be anymore. Not wearing a mask in a pandemic like this isn’t about freedom. It’s the temper tantrum a 4 yo throws when they’re told to eat their vegetables. I don’t know what policy we could tailor that would work here when we can’t agree on the most basic protections. 

It’s not even about the government anymore. The virus doesn’t give a shit about our values. And whether individually we agree with it or not, collectively we’ve decided to say +++++ it and accept the consequences to our lives and our economy.

I thought there would be a revolt after telling people they had to shelter for a few weeks to flatten the curve. To my amazement most people actually heeded that advice for nearly two months.

The revolt has come much later than I thought it would. I think a lot of people, particularly the young, are saying to hell with it. If I get the virus that’s the breaks. I’m going to live my life come hell or high water. And that’s about as far as the thought process goes until they end up in the hospital. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 5:01 PM, smltwnrckr said:

This is what I dont understand about right wingers being against masks. They make you look like a badass.

It’s just stubborn stupidity and Fox News.   If you were 70 and had multiple heart surgeries and a grandchild who was getting chemo you think you would wear a mask? 

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I thought there would be a revolt after telling people they had to shelter for a few weeks to flatten the curve. To my amazement most people actually heeded that advice for nearly two months.

The revolt has come much later than I thought it would. I think a lot of people, particularly the young, are saying to hell with it. If I get the virus that’s the breaks. I’m going to live my life come hell or high water. And that’s about as far as the thought process goes until they end up in the hospital. 

It’s not just the young and it is largely those with a Republican bent.  

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

It’s not just the young and it is largely those with a Republican bent.  

Like the guy I posted about earlier today. 30 years old and decided to go to a "coronavirus party", got sick, and the last words he reportedly were to say that he thought it was a hoax but was wrong.

9 hours ago, retrofade said:

Like the guy I posted about earlier today. 30 years old and decided to go to a "coronavirus party", got sick, and the last words he reportedly were to say that he thought it was a hoax but was wrong.

It’s what you get when you spend 12 years campaigning against science and convincing everyone their being fed bullshit by the “establishment”.   Now when you need them to actually pay attention, you have poisoned the well.   Deaths are going to be significant in red areas.  

13 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

It’s what you get when you spend 12 years campaigning against science and convincing everyone their being fed bullshit by the “establishment”.   Now when you need them to actually pay attention, you have poisoned the well.   Deaths are going to be significant in red areas.  

It's been going on for a lot longer than 12 years, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I think there is a lot of that, and it could be the most significant driver. I think there is a good helping of denial, too. But a whole lot of carelessness.

In Central Oregon, where I live, we have been getting inundated with travelers. Bumper to bumper traffic heading into town every weekend and the occupancy rates of many of our hotels and resorts are actually up from last year, with many running at 99% since the end of May. And until the governor mandated wearing masks, you’d rarely see one being worn in public unless it was a place like Costco that had a mask policy in place. Here, it’s not really a political thing, though like everywhere there is some of that. Just people fleeing to the supposed open spaces of Central Oregon and not putting any thought to it (because apparently you can’t catch Covid or infect others on vacation). Come to Bend on a Saturday this summer and you’d think nothing was happening at all.

Weirdly, our numbers have remained relatively low, albeit beginning to move up significantly. I have to assume that actually encourages travel. But our hospital is close to capacity because of visitors getting sick while here, and those don’t count in our county tally, apparently.

9 minutes ago, retrofade said:

It's been going on for a lot longer than 12 years, unfortunately.

And it’s still going on.  Trump is the first President whose mental illness will lead to the death of many dumb enough to follow him:

President Donald Trump shared a tweet from former game show host Chuck Woolery that said “everyone is lying” about the coronavirus early Monday morning — including his administration’s own Centers for Disease Control.

“The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most ,that we are told to trust. I think it’s all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I’m sick of it,” wrote Woolery in the post that was then retweeted by the president.

Trump also retweeted one of Woolery’s tweets that said, “There is so much evidence, yes scientific evidence, that schools should open this fall. It’s worldwide and it’s overwhelming. BUT NO.”

25 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Is that what is going on in California...or is it something different?  Because...you know...California isn't a red state.  This is not about what you want it to be about.  This is people not being responsible in a lot of places, not just red states.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

Is that what is going on in California...or is it something different?  Because...you know...California isn't a red state.  This is not about what you want it to be about.  This is people not being responsible in a lot of places, not just red states.

Spend time in the Blue Bay Area or the Red valley and you see people wearing masks in Bay and not in the valley.   And yes people of all stripes are irresponsible but it’s flamed by a President who says the CDC and Doctors are lying and the dumb +++++s who believe him.

In Placer we have morons not wearing masks sitting at booths to impeach Newsom.  

24 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

Here are the top 10 states normalized by population.  

38D9627D-73FF-4734-983C-6F25CCDF444F.png

• Cheers 1