bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I literally was just talking to my wife about this concern. The vaccine cannot, cannot be messed up by rushing it. 

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

I literally was just talking to my wife about this concern. The vaccine cannot, cannot be messed up by rushing it. 

My take on this is I’ll wait several months after a vaccine is available and let others be the guinea pigs. 

2 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

f5a2a4d7f15add86f6606a2c1398a35aac04b629

only 71K cases in the US yesterday

lets go back to school

I'm exhausted from this hemming and hawing. Let's just call it now, stop pussyfooting around and just take the year off. Online school, no sports. 

25 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'm exhausted from this hemming and hawing. Let's just call it now, stop pussyfooting around and just take the year off. Online school, no sports. 

So which parent in two working parent homes should quit their job to take care of the kids?

Edit: why am I posing the question here? I should wait for the proper authority to decide for me... a public health official and/or an epidemiologist, of course!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

47 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

So which parent in two working parent homes should quit their job to take care of the kids?

Edit: why am I posing the question here? I should wait for the proper authority to decide for me... a public health official and/or an epidemiologist, of course!

The mom, of course. She makes less.

I'm just being real. The bed is made and it's getting time to lie in it.  American freedumb culture is making it worse and we're pretending we can half-ass the solutions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The mom, of course. She makes less.

I'm just being real. The bed is made and it's getting time to lie in it.  American freedumb culture is making it worse and we're pretending we can half-ass the solutions.

Yea I'm being real too. The fact that this is  being treated simply as an epidemiological problem and not a social problem is a bigger issue than fat people in Florida getting pedicures. Oversimplifying and making this part of the culture war has much more to do with the problem than free-dumb culture. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Conversely, what teacher should risk their life at work baby sitting kids whose parents were too selfish to wear masks?

12 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Conversely, what teacher should risk their life at work baby sitting kids whose parents were too selfish to wear masks?

Minimizing the risk for the teachers who are actually in the higher risk categories is less of a social nightmare than shutting down schools for a year. But I'm glad that we've replaced 'you wanna kill grandpa' with 'you wanna kill teachers' when someone makes the argument that this path forward is untenable.  I find it especially tough to swallow since I said like 5 months ago that the path forward we were taking was untenable and people wouldn't stay locked up for months without an exit strategy.

13 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Yea I'm being real too. The fact that this is  being treated simply as an epidemiological problem and not a social problem is a bigger issue than fat people in Florida getting pedicures. Oversimplifying and making this part of the culture war has much more to do with the problem than free-dumb culture. 

The freedumb culture is a significant reason why this is a social problem.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Minimizing the risk for the teachers who are actually in the higher risk categories is less of a social nightmare than shutting down schools for a year. But I'm glad that we've replaced 'you wanna kill grandpa' with 'you wanna kill teachers' when someone makes the argument that this path forward is untenable.  I find it especially tough to swallow since I said like 5 months ago that the path forward we were taking was untenable and people wouldn't stay locked up for months without an exit strategy.

What exit strategy is convincing folks in Canada and other parts of the world to stay home, social distance, and wear mask?

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

What exit strategy is convincing folks in Canada and other parts of the world to stay home, social distance, and wear mask?

We have a bunch of goddamned self-righteous dickheads who believe that their "right" to go get haircuts, not wear masks, or otherwise not have their "freedoms" infringed upon trumps the public "right" to avoid spreading this disease. 

41 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

There's no good clean solution that satisfies all concerns. There will be collateral damage and sacrifice.

Sometimes daddy just has to come in the room and raise his voice to get the f*cking around to stop.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

The freedumb culture is a significant reason why this is a social problem.

5eecf9d694150.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Is this freedumb culture? If it is, then maybe I'll agree with you. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I don't live in other parts of the world. I live in the part of the world where I said that people won't lock themselves in their homes for an indefinitely indefinite period of time. And at the time, I was getting shit from some on here who were saying, "We're not talking about six months!!!" "We're not talking about a  year!!!" or "We're not talking about *whatever the new goalpost is going to be*!!" And here we are... after weeks of uncontrolled protests, riots and other uncontrolled forms of gathering in the streets, which took place even after people naturally told the powers that be their limits, people are tsk tsking Fat Floridians who like guns as the problem. Cool. 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

There's no good clean solution that satisfies all concerns. There will be collateral damage and sacrifice.

Sometimes daddy just has to come in the room and raise his voice to get the f*cking around to stop.

If there was any recognition of the vast social costs, and an actual attempt to mitigate them that involved people who actually understood them, then I would be more receptive to daddy. Sometimes little Timmy is f*cking around because Daddy +++++ed up at the front end. Maybe Daddy should do some reflecting himself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

and an epidemiological one.

There were epidemiologists in the news saying that it was OK to attend protests with tens of thousands of people because police violence was more of an immediate threat than COVID. Sorry if I now am not listening to them as they scold people who get haircuts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1