bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

There are gradations in terms of risk and risky behaviour.

Indoor is riskier than out door

Being in a building for 15 min is less risky than a few hours (time of exposure)

It's pretty pointless to be hitting each other over the head trying to score political points here.

Understand the relative risks. Be smart. Wear a mask and keep to social distancing. If you are at risk be more rigorous in adhering to this. Consider having your shopping delivered or do the parking lot pick up option.

Consider these precautions as being for the long haul, a year or more. There is no guarantee of a working vaccine.

• Like 2

One of the Final Five..........

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Deaths trail positives by 24-26 days (call it four weeks) on average.

Please tell me you understand this so I don't have to post a "Trailing Indicators for Dummies" graphic like I would for Boob.

The peak was April 21 (when trend breakage occurred) was 69 days ago.  I'm not saying we won't have an increase, I'm just saying the spike won't be anything like the last one.  We are doing the right things, we will be ok.  Some are predicting we will all get it eventually.

110926run_defense710.jpg

13 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

The peak was April 21 (when trend breakage occurred) was 69 days ago.  I'm not saying we won't have an increase, I'm just saying the spike won't be anything like the last one.  We are doing the right things, we will be ok.  Some are predicting we will all get it eventually.

I hope you're right. The younger demographic accounting for so many of the new cases will fare better.

However the crux of the issue is twofold: first, that more transmission vectors makes it exponentially more difficult to control/contain the epidemic (thus making high infection rates more likely), and second, we still have a population of which approx. 94% is still susceptible to infection (read: far more room for harm than we've already collectively experienced).

I do think if people would stop being f*cknuckles about wearing masks and take this shit seriously, we can return to some quasi-resemblance of normality until a vaccine is available. 

• Like 4

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

31 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I hope you're right. The younger demographic accounting for so many of the new cases will fare better.

However the crux of the issue is twofold: first, that more transmission vectors makes it exponentially more difficult to control/contain the epidemic (thus making high infection rates more likely), and second, we still have a population of which approx. 94% is still susceptible to infection (read: far more room for harm than we've already collectively experienced).

I do think if people would stop being f*cknuckles about wearing masks and take this shit seriously, we can return to some quasi-resemblance of normality until a vaccine is available. 

A7CC124D-5C86-4A5E-BC16-9B4D1D7B0D9B.jpeg.b3c27d99e9fd1f343e2eb4c146bd0c14.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

My Bay Area co-workers spent a week in Central Florida last week:

- they stayed at the JW Marriott and 1/10 people were wearing a mask

- they were wearing masks and at least one of them a face shield (the one with face shield is immune system compromised and is undergoing chemo treatments); people were saying stuff like they were crazy

- folks on the airplane got on with masks but many took them off once airborne

- when landing in Houston for a connecting flight, everyone on the plane’s newly woken up cell phone erupted in an alert saying Houston is a COVID hotspot.  All the phones at the same time.  Surreal. 

Pray for America.  

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I do think the expert knuck+++++les messed us up big time in the lie they told at the beginning. Telling us that masks don't work, in fact they make things worse. It was an outright lie to prevent hoarding of masks and to redirect masks to essential workers. Even Fauci has admitted it.  So nobody should get their panties in the wad when people refuse to wear masks.

110926run_defense710.jpg

2 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I do think the expert knuck+++++les messed us up big time in the lie they told at the beginning. Telling us that masks don't work, in fact they make things worse. It was an outright lie to prevent hoarding of masks and to redirect masks to essential workers. Even Fauci has admitted it.  So nobody should get their panties in the wad when people refuse to wear masks.

I agree it was a lie for that very reason.  I saw through it.  I’m actually loading up on face shields as the next step for all essential front line workers (masks to protect others, face shields to protect themselves from especially non-comply’ers).

The panties in the wad part is the making this politicized between for Trump and against Trump, when this should be a health issue.  Another example to show that the POTUS cares more about re-election / him than this nation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Trump’s rhetoric and actions have assured a large number of people will not wear masks because dear leader does not. Fauci and co effed us also by lying; but let’s not pretend that had they not done that we would be this mask wearing utopia.   

5 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

The peak was New York’s peak.  Florida, Texas and Arizona are not okay and are still peaking.   Arizona is very close to running out of beds and Tucson really hasn’t started yet.   Florida isn’t New York yet but they are working on it...

3 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Well the funny thing is the “anti-Maskers” are pro business and their stupidity is going to put a lot of businesses out of business.   Arizona just re-shut everything down and it may still be closing the door after the horse got out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Yes, but no? I don't wait for nor do I rely on the CDC to dictate what steps I should take. I am perfectly capable of reading the papers awaiting peer review or published in respected journals. I am not a virologist or an epidemiologist but my wife and I have been wearing N95's when we're in stores since early-mid March, long before a single guideline was published.

And we continue to wear them now in the same circumstances for the same reasons. 

To not wear a mask because the CDC was dishonest due to their desire to protect critical supplied is stupid, and potentially terminally so.

• Like 2

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I started wearing a N95 mask in January on the airplane.  It was me and an 80 year old woman. Fast forward two months from now, I think face shields plus masks will get more general interest; especially when not everyone around you is wearing a mask.  You are going to think about  protecting yourself from them; however, I think this is more so for front line workers, including customer facing food service. 

I think school kids will be wearing face shields especially younger ones. 

The sooner you armor up the faster we can get back to consumer spending like we used to.  I can’t wait. 

9 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

The sooner you armor up the faster we can get back to consumer spending like we used to.  I can’t wait. 

It's never going back to the way it was. As I've mentioned for several years, flying is the drizzling s****. Movie theaters, I don't think they're ever coming back. Crowds indoors? I don't think so. Heck, I don't think even churches are going to be coming back.

110926run_defense710.jpg

4 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

My Bay Area co-workers spent a week in Central Florida last week:

- they stayed at the JW Marriott and 1/10 people were wearing a mask

- they were wearing masks and at least one of them a face shield (the one with face shield is immune system compromised and is undergoing chemo treatments); people were saying stuff like they were crazy

- folks on the airplane got on with masks but many took them off once airborne

- when landing in Houston for a connecting flight, everyone on the plane’s newly woken up cell phone erupted in an alert saying Houston is a COVID hotspot.  All the phones at the same time.  Surreal. 

Pray for America.  

Talk about people being stupid not wearing masks. Why were they flying in the first place? Especially the guy immune system compromised. In the current situation can’t business be done over the telephone or Skype/Zoom? 

10 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

It's never going back to the way it was. As I've mentioned for several years, flying is the drizzling s****. Movie theaters, I don't think they're ever coming back. Crowds indoors? I don't think so. Heck, I don't think even churches are going to be coming back.

There will eventually be improved treatment or a vaccine that will allow things to return to normal.