bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

12 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Dog House Grill in Fresno got slapped with a $500 fine after receiving numerous complaints of people not social distancing. 

The Fresno Bee has a new article with a quote from a local bar owner about the new round of closures. He said "he has property in Texas, where the situation is “looking better every day. The way the (California) government is handling this is destroying small businesses, period.”"

I guess he has not heard that Texas closed its bars two days ago.

I would not go to a bar or really anywhere there are crowds right now. I don't think they need to be closed, but people have got to be smart about it.

Everybody says it isn't a big deal until they get it and then they try to tell others to take it seriously. Frankly, that's falling on a lot of deaf ears.

In the end, "flattening the curve" or whatever has always been about following recommended guidelines from people who study this stuff. I take regular guy's advice on coronavirus with a huge grain of salt. I will always seriously consider advice from health department officials.

17 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The Fresno Bee has a new article with a quote from a local bar owner about the new round of closures. He said "he has property in Texas, where the situation is “looking better every day. The way the (California) government is handling this is destroying small businesses, period.”"

I guess he has not heard that Texas closed its bars two days ago.

Yeah. Perfect example of Dumbass shit we hear from the right.   They don’t realize the rules are there to keep the virus under control and allow them to stay open.....   

San Antonio/Bexar County has issued a request for residents to voluntarily stay home plus wear masks in public similar to Houston's. The governor has not given them authority for a mandatory stay at home order so they can only ask for voluntary compliance.

Looking at their info, the hospitalizations rounded the bend on the exponential curve about June 11 or 12. The curve has been increasing steeply since.

First the WHO claimed a mortality rate of 3.5%, couple months later the CDC said the US mortality rate is 0.26%, now the CDC says infections may be 10 times higher than the two and a half million currently reported.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-says-covid-19-cases-u-s-may-be-10-n1232134

• Like 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

First the WHO claimed a mortality rate of 3.5%, couple months later the CDC said the US mortality rate is 0.26%, now the CDC says infections may be 10 times higher than the two and a half million currently reported.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-says-covid-19-cases-u-s-may-be-10-n1232134

Viruses do mutate. So I wouldn’t be so quick to just dismiss early reports as signs of incompetence.  

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Too bad your chart left off the last 8 days of data.  That curve you are seeing keeps going up.   Also visits to ED may not capture all hospitalizations.

It is latest I could find for US

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

You're conflating case fatality rates (CFR) with infection fatality rates. The CFR for COVID-19 is approx. 5% - greater than the Spanish Flu and a f*ckton higher than seasonal influenza, which has a CFR of .1.%

The estimates by the CDC are consistent with industry estimates. A friend is a c-suite executive for a large biotech firm in CO. As of a month ago, they had shipped 2 million antibody tests and estimated the upper limit of the infection rate in the country to be 5%. The CDC's estimate that 10x as many people (approx. 24 million) may have been infected translates to a +/-7% infection rate.

An infection fatality rate 1/10th of the CFR is still an IFR of .5% - again, far more deadly than the flu. Here's a clue: So far, 4x as many people have died in the last 4 months than the flu killed all of the last season on record.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Ebob1pGXQAAleWN?format=jpg&name=large

Gee...what could that spike be related to....???

• Haha 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

29 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Gee...what could that spike be related to....???

The best info we currently we have right now says it's from bars, not the protests. That's not my theory, I'm just the messenger. Check out the other thread half man started about this.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The best info we currently we have right now says it's from bars, not the protests. That's not my theory, I'm just the messenger. Check out the other thread half man started about this.

I would venture to guess there’s a mix of both there...

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater