bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

On 5/22/2020 at 7:25 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

And now that we've opened short term vacation rentals...there are tons of Alabama plates here in the panhandle of Florida.  We still have a so-called ban on tourists from New York ,New Jersey , Connecticut and Louisiana.  But, I still see those plates. 

We have had very few cases of covid in the county I live in and the surrounding counties. Because we shut down. Now, who knows. 

Will we go up? Hard to say because the numbers Florida is putting out 'officially ' is under scrutiny. 

I don't know of anyone who I work with or anyone they know has contracted covid- once again , because we shut things down. Now , that were open.....as the saying goes " the proofs in the pudding" . I'm hopeful but not naive.

Yeah, crossing my fingers we don’t end up in some sort of massive outbreak.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

JFC... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

JFC... 

Yep. 

7 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Total death count for people under the age of 40 in Missouri  =  5

Hide in your closets

Bubble wrap your lives

The rest of us will use our God given ability to assess risk as we see fit.

Boo!

http://mophep.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=8e01a5d8d8bd4b4f85add006f9e14a9d

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, retrofade said:

JFC... 

It’s summer.  They may get away with it.  Better to let them be the guinea pigs. 

50 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

It’s summer.  They may get away with it.  Better to let them be the guinea pigs. 

Hell, we're all guinea pigs. 😈

59 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Total death count for people under the age of 40 in Missouri  =  5

Hide in your closets

Bubble wrap your lives

Boo!

http://mophep.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=8e01a5d8d8bd4b4f85add006f9e14a9d

Cool story bro...same here low count around 200, deaths 5 or 6. That's for us locals. Bring in your unwashed masses and shit hits the fan. God given ability to assess risk? Shit, they can't even stay out of the water on double red flag days. ...lifeguards pulling dozens of people out of the water from rip tides daily. Stupid, stupid people in this country. 

• Like 2
  • Idiot 1

14 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Cool story bro...same here low count around 200, deaths 5 or 6. That's for us locals. Bring in your unwashed masses and shit hits the fan. God given ability to assess risk? Shit, they can't even stay out of the water on double red flag days. ...lifeguards pulling dozens of people out of the water from rip tides daily. Stupid, stupid people in this country. 

Facts are facts. I've been following the numbers assiduously since the beginning of this nonsense, initially the South Korea and Italian numbers and they are all the same; there is basically zero risk for anyone under twenty and a risk approaching zero for anyone under the age of 40. The numbers now coming in indicate that the Kung Flu isn't all that virulent. There's a 3% infection rate here in SD among the tested population which consists of  mostly, folks  complaining to their doctors, people like my wife who are"high risk" but visit doctors for regular checkups and essential workers.  These numbers are likewise similar to most places in the world.

Anecdotally, I spoke to the manager of the Vons where I shop and he has had ZERO employees test positive.

If you're old and sick, stay home.

If you're young, fat and diabetic, stay home

let the rest of us get on with our lives.

I'm not minimizing the fact that people are dying. I'm ridiculing those who can't seem to quantify the risk and are arrogantly proclaiming that all government actions are justified by  the "science".

BE SKEPTICAL.. ALWAYS.  The experts most often, aren't.  Look at the initial models that drove us to DESTROY the economy and the lives and livelihoods of millions.  Then look at the actual data.  Try and square to two. You can't.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Facts are facts. I've been following the numbers assiduously since the beginning of this nonsense, initially the South Korea and Italian numbers and they are all the same; there is basically zero risk for anyone under twenty and a risk approaching zero for anyone under the age of 40. The numbers now coming in indicate that the Kung Flu isn't all that virulent. There's a 3% infection rate here in SD among the tested population which consists of  mostly, folks  complaining to their doctors, people like my wife who are"high risk" but visit doctors for regular checkups and essential workers.  These numbers are likewise similar to most places in the world.

Anecdotally, I spoke to the manager of the Vons where I shop and he has had ZERO employees test positive.

I'm not minimizing the fact that people are dying. I'm ridiculing those who can't seem to quantify the risk and are arrogantly proclaiming that all government actions are justified by  the "science".

BE SKEPTICAL.. ALWAYS.  The experts most often, aren't.  Look at the initial models that drove us to DESTROY the economy and the lives and livelihoods of millions.  Then look at the actual data.  Try and square to two. You can't.

Respectfully, you suck at data science. You’re like a Texas Republican state Senator level of data scientist. But I wish you and you’re loved ones good luck.

11 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Respectfully, you suck at data science. You’re like a Texas Republican state Senator level of data scientist. But I wish you and you’re loved ones good luck.

So genius, how many people under the age of 40 have died from Chinese Crud?

I'll wait so you can go all Bill Nye and tell me why the number 5 is so difficult to understand.  because, you know, us hicks have a hard time with big numbers and such.

The problem is people like you that believe something that isn't actually in the numbers.

The NUMBER is 5

Tell me why it's not

Billy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

giphy.gif

yeah!  'merica bitch!:rock:

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, retrofade said:

JFC... 

Awesome, overdue for a good time.  That is still a low risk situation.  Need more of this.  Besides, most in that pool if they contract 19, symptoms will be non-existent or similar to a cold or flu.

Friday Idaho had a spike of 100 cases from the usual 20-40 for the last six weeks. Saturday only 5 cases reported. Someone made a correction or is manipulating the reporting data. 

21 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Friday Idaho had a spike of 100 cases from the usual 20-40 for the last six weeks. Saturday only 5 cases reported. Someone made a correction or is manipulating the reporting data. 

Could have easily been a single event that infected a bunch of people. 

24 minutes ago, Mano said:

Could have easily been a single event that infected a bunch of people. 

I doubt it. We would have heard about it in the local news if that happened. 

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I doubt it. We would have heard about it in the local news if that happened. 

Only if they have completed the contact tracing.

I think one thing that isn't being talked about enough is the devastation for many of those who survive. We have focused on the life and death numbers, but the long term illnesses resulting from this virus are what makes it so devastating. When you recover from the flu, you fully recover. But so many Covid survivors experience multiple blood clots, resulting in strokes, heart attacks (even in young people), pulmonary embolisms, and extreme fatigue, not to mention pulmonary fibrosis. Active symptoms are frequently lasting anywhere from 2-4 months, and of course may extend even longer. Of course many lucky ones are asymptomatic, and experience no long term effects. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to whom it devastates, for those who had no underlying conditions.

And the Kawasaki like illnesses, an offshoot from this virus, that are now manifesting in small children is enough to make me consider 'retiring' from dental hygiene, as I will NOT be the one to bring this to my grandchildren, or children. And yes, I take the precautions that are available to me at work, but with hygienists having a 99.79% risk factor, the highest of all healthcare professions, I doubt that it's enough. This is not how I anticipated leaving my life long profession. It might be either that, or quit seeing my family.

While I am on the subject of dentistry, unless you have an emergency, I would not hurry back in for routine or preventive care. The aerosols created during routine dentistry, and especially 'cleanings', can hang around in the operatory for approximately 2-3 hours. So although we can thoroughly disinfect all surfaces, and limit the use of ultrasonic scalers, unless our offices have installed negative air systems, (most have not) if a patient before you had the virus, you could possibly be exposed. To put it in perspective, the HIV can survive 1 1/2 seconds without a host. So either take the first appointment of the day, or give it a few more months before rushing in unless you have to, just MAKE SURE TO FLOSS, you'll be ok for another few months (and I'm referring to routine visits, not emergencies or periodontal disease). And no, that doesn't mean to quit going to the dentist indefinitely, lol, just maybe hold off for a bit until we know more.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

When’s the next time your parents or grandparents go out shopping and where?