Jump to content
bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Nevada6077 said:

DO U believe in god...     if she isn't real what does it hurt believing.  now joe go stick a cob up your bung

I worship Satan

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

this is excellent

I rarely post anything and don’t always want to talk about this, but I thought to post my thoughts on questions that have come up recently. I work as an intensivist (ICU doctor) and pulmonologist (lung doctor). Sorry for being wordy!

  1. Should I wear a mask? It’s too bad that this has become politicized. Most of my day in the hospital is spent wearing a regular mask even when seeing many of the COVID positive patients. We only wear the heavy-duty stuff during aerosolizing procedures. Regular masks are designed to block respiratory droplets that can carry virus. (So when that guy sneezes or coughs in the aisle next to you…) Are they 100% effective? No! But they are also not 0% effective. I choose to wear a mask in public. If we can (of our own free will and choice) prevent the transmission of the virus by 40,60, 80% (or whatever it may be) by wearing a mask in public, that can be a huge help. This can help the reopenings to be more successful and safe (which everyone actually wants). Don’t do it for yourself. You are doing it for your grandma, frail neighbor with chronic illness, cousin getting chemotherapy, or a father of 4 who might end up dying in ICU. The world war 2 generation banded together in an impressive show of unity toward a good cause (including responding when the government asked). It took major sacrifices. I think we can do the same (and still preserve our freedom).
  1. What else will help to prevent spreading the virus? The virus is transmitted mostly through respiratory droplets, occasionally through aerosolization, and when someone touches a contaminated surface and then touches their eyes, nose, or mouth. Wash your hands especially after going out into public. Use hand sanitizer. Stop touching your face so much. Keep your workspace clean. Wait for the pandemic to finish before testing your immune system.
  1. Do you think we should be reopening? We were going to have to reopen at some point. I completely understand that there are serious consequences (mental, physical, economic, medical) to not reopening, so I agree it must happen with caution. If we all choose to take precautions in public, these openings stand a better chance of being successful and staying open. We need to use common sense, open systematically, and protect the vulnerable. There are likely to be more COVID hospitalizations and deaths as this happens, unfortunately, but we can lower the curve by enacting these practices.
  2. Do you trust the CDC and Fauci? I do trust Dr. Fauci. He has put in years of service for our country and I think he has good intentions for the nation. I do not believe him to be part of a conspiracy. I trust the CDC and think that overall they have provided good guidance though they have not been perfect. Take a look at their website if you haven’t.
  1. What is it like to work with coronavirus patients? I’m glad this is mostly a mild viral illness for those who get it. However, I get to see all the bad cases. And they are bad, my friends. They are not all old, frail, or have a chronic illness. I have seen patients in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and above in the ICU with this. Most end up on ventilators and they stay on ventilators often for weeks. I put someone on a ventilator almost every day last week. It’s not hard to see how a hospital could run out of rooms or vents but luckily we are not there yet (here in Utah). I have seen grown men cry trying to decide whether to die alone in the ICU or try to get by on a ventilator. I have seen patients appear to get better then suddenly die. I have seen patients sitting for weeks on ventilators without getting better and get a tracheostomy. It started off slow but we are now seeing more each week. These patients take ALOT of physical and mental labor. This is not like the flu, I guarantee it. We are doing our best for them. Yes there are many who have or will recover and lead normal lives. Death is not the only outcome to think about. There will be many who survive severe illness and will never be the same. It can lead to chronic lung disease, disability, need for oxygen, or the need to live in a care facility for the rest of one’s life. We are expecting more and will continue to work hard for them.

  2. Do any treatments work? I have used hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, convalescent plasma, tocilizumab, vitamin C, zinc. My general sense from using these is that none are “the cure”. I have not seen any consistent effectiveness with any of these, though we continue to try them. Hopefully more quality studies will shed light on this. We don’t have remdesivir yet and though there may be some improved outcomes with it, it is also not the cure.

  3. Would you get the vaccine? Yes! My family and I would gladly get a safe effective vaccine. Smallpox killed nearly 1/2 billion people before a vaccine, and now it’s gone. I’ve seen patients on chronic ventilators and crippled from polio before the vaccine was available. Many of us would not have existed on earth without vaccines because our parents or grandparents would have died before making us. I agree that vaccines have rare risks and adverse effects, but the benefits of vaccines almost always outweigh the small risk. Getting a vaccine will boost herd immunity quickly and allow everyone to go back to school, church, work, etc.

Stay safe my friends! Be kind. Take precautions. Open with caution. Protect those at high risk. Support each other. Unite the political divide. Be understanding of differences and look for common ground. Let’s get through this.

  • Like 3
  • Idiot 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

What about the multiple strains of flu that are floating around in a given season? Should we all have to get multiple of them each year so your wife feels safe?

she is free to get her own vaccine but you aren’t really an anti-vaxxer are you?  seems like you are just particularly cranky.   I know you aren’t a chick so it can’t be PMS 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Eat the corn from my shit, bitch.

You're  a +++++ing idiot. You let people tell you what  to do...you let people push you around. How long do you think it's gonna last? How long are you gonna let it go on? How long are you gonna let them push you around? How long? Maybe you like it, maybe you like being pushed around. Maybe you love it, maybe you love getting your face stuck in the shit. But who are we kidding...you love it, don't you? You love it. You're a +++++ing slave...letting everybody push you around.

What are you going to do about it?

Here Joe...you're obviously Covid stressed...chill

image.jpeg.06f1673c6cc6aac6defaab55025ff229.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

 

this is excellent

I rarely post anything and don’t always want to talk about this, but I thought to post my thoughts on questions that have come up recently. I work as an intensivist (ICU doctor) and pulmonologist (lung doctor). Sorry for being wordy!

  1. Should I wear a mask? It’s too bad that this has become politicized. Most of my day in the hospital is spent wearing a regular mask even when seeing many of the COVID positive patients. We only wear the heavy-duty stuff during aerosolizing procedures. Regular masks are designed to block respiratory droplets that can carry virus. (So when that guy sneezes or coughs in the aisle next to you…) Are they 100% effective? No! But they are also not 0% effective. I choose to wear a mask in public. If we can (of our own free will and choice) prevent the transmission of the virus by 40,60, 80% (or whatever it may be) by wearing a mask in public, that can be a huge help. This can help the reopenings to be more successful and safe (which everyone actually wants). Don’t do it for yourself. You are doing it for your grandma, frail neighbor with chronic illness, cousin getting chemotherapy, or a father of 4 who might end up dying in ICU. The world war 2 generation banded together in an impressive show of unity toward a good cause (including responding when the government asked). It took major sacrifices. I think we can do the same (and still preserve our freedom).
  1. What else will help to prevent spreading the virus? The virus is transmitted mostly through respiratory droplets, occasionally through aerosolization, and when someone touches a contaminated surface and then touches their eyes, nose, or mouth. Wash your hands especially after going out into public. Use hand sanitizer. Stop touching your face so much. Keep your workspace clean. Wait for the pandemic to finish before testing your immune system.
  1. Do you think we should be reopening? We were going to have to reopen at some point. I completely understand that there are serious consequences (mental, physical, economic, medical) to not reopening, so I agree it must happen with caution. If we all choose to take precautions in public, these openings stand a better chance of being successful and staying open. We need to use common sense, open systematically, and protect the vulnerable. There are likely to be more COVID hospitalizations and deaths as this happens, unfortunately, but we can lower the curve by enacting these practices.
  2. Do you trust the CDC and Fauci? I do trust Dr. Fauci. He has put in years of service for our country and I think he has good intentions for the nation. I do not believe him to be part of a conspiracy. I trust the CDC and think that overall they have provided good guidance though they have not been perfect. Take a look at their website if you haven’t.
  1. What is it like to work with coronavirus patients? I’m glad this is mostly a mild viral illness for those who get it. However, I get to see all the bad cases. And they are bad, my friends. They are not all old, frail, or have a chronic illness. I have seen patients in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and above in the ICU with this. Most end up on ventilators and they stay on ventilators often for weeks. I put someone on a ventilator almost every day last week. It’s not hard to see how a hospital could run out of rooms or vents but luckily we are not there yet (here in Utah). I have seen grown men cry trying to decide whether to die alone in the ICU or try to get by on a ventilator. I have seen patients appear to get better then suddenly die. I have seen patients sitting for weeks on ventilators without getting better and get a tracheostomy. It started off slow but we are now seeing more each week. These patients take ALOT of physical and mental labor. This is not like the flu, I guarantee it. We are doing our best for them. Yes there are many who have or will recover and lead normal lives. Death is not the only outcome to think about. There will be many who survive severe illness and will never be the same. It can lead to chronic lung disease, disability, need for oxygen, or the need to live in a care facility for the rest of one’s life. We are expecting more and will continue to work hard for them.

  2. Do any treatments work? I have used hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, convalescent plasma, tocilizumab, vitamin C, zinc. My general sense from using these is that none are “the cure”. I have not seen any consistent effectiveness with any of these, though we continue to try them. Hopefully more quality studies will shed light on this. We don’t have remdesivir yet and though there may be some improved outcomes with it, it is also not the cure.

  3. Would you get the vaccine? Yes! My family and I would gladly get a safe effective vaccine. Smallpox killed nearly 1/2 billion people before a vaccine, and now it’s gone. I’ve seen patients on chronic ventilators and crippled from polio before the vaccine was available. Many of us would not have existed on earth without vaccines because our parents or grandparents would have died before making us. I agree that vaccines have rare risks and adverse effects, but the benefits of vaccines almost always outweigh the small risk. Getting a vaccine will boost herd immunity quickly and allow everyone to go back to school, church, work, etc.

Stay safe my friends! Be kind. Take precautions. Open with caution. Protect those at high risk. Support each other. Unite the political divide. Be understanding of differences and look for common ground. Let’s get through this.

Personally I would love to see the anti-mask breakdown by age group.   I’m curious which generations are the more selfish ones.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The masks definitely make nice Halloween costumes. No one should be forced to wear one...if you want to wear one for "protection" and be a dumbass about screaming how great you are with your mask-ness...then do it, but don't force me or anyone else to do it...I'll fake a coughing fit around you for laughs. 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Cheers 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Here Joe...you're obviously Covid stressed...chill

image.jpeg.06f1673c6cc6aac6defaab55025ff229.jpeg

Fitting, since we are now on page 420.

420 GIF

  • Cheers 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

The masks definitely make nice Halloween costumes. No one should be forced to wear one...if you want to wear one for "protection" and be a dumbass about screaming how great you are with your mask-ness...then do it, but don't force me or anyone else to do it...I'll fake a coughing fit around you for laughs. 

Just curious your age group.  Are you Boomer, GenX, Millenial?  
 

you are clearly immature, thoughtless and selfish.   Just curious what generation gets to claim you?   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Fitting, since we are now on page 420.

420 GIF

That's awesome! Great observation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Just curious your age group.  Are you Boomer, GenX, Millenial?  
 

you are clearly immature, thoughtless and selfish.   Just curious what generation gets to claim you?   

Ok boomer.

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one really bats an eyelash when the Patriot Act or FISA is law and violates the 4th and 6th amendments, but wearing a mask or quarantining for the greater good of society is surely a secret ploy(by Trump? New World Order? Lizard people?) to take your rights away.

 

I said on the first few pages of this thread the best ending to this is one where people think it was a giant overreaction, I still stick to that claim.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

No one really bats an eyelash when the Patriot Act or FISA is law and violates the 4th and 6th amendments, but wearing a mask or quarantining for the greater good of society is surely a secret ploy(by Trump? New World Order? Lizard people?) to take your rights away.

 

I said on the first few pages of this thread the best ending to this is one where people think it was a giant overreaction, I still stick to that claim.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there dude. Review the many threads on this board and see how many of us feel about the government intruding in our private lives. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bob said:

It's not bullshit. What did I write that was not factual? Plus masks provide a better environment for the virus to survive outside the body and people mess with them constantly and touch other surfaces. I doubt they are doing any good whatsoever. But it's a free country and people can believe what they want.

It is like writing that covering your mouth when coughing or using a tissue and covering your nose while sneezing will not prevent you from catching a disease, and concluding that doing so is stupid or unnecessary . It is factual that these actions will not prevent the person that takes them from catching disease, but spreading misinformation when it is done with the intent of stopping people from taking these actions, because it increases the risk to people around them if they do not, which is the reason to do so.

You wear a mask to decrease the amount of droplets when the person wearing the mask exhales, and hopefully lessen the chance of transmitting enough virus to infect others. This has been repeated ad nauseam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Ok boomer.

So from your response your are mostly likely a spoiled as shit millennial with helicopter parents.  They clearly raised you to think only of yourself....    

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mano said:

It is like writing that covering your mouth when coughing or using a tissue and covering your nose while sneezing will not prevent you from catching a disease, and concluding that doing so is stupid or unnecessary . It is factual that these actions will not prevent the person that takes them from catching disease, but spreading misinformation when it is done with the intent of stopping people from taking these actions, because it increases the risk to people around them if they do not, which is the reason to do so.

You wear a mask to decrease the amount of droplets when the person wearing the mask exhales, and hopefully lessen the chance of transmitting enough virus to infect others. This has been repeated ad nauseam.

Would you make masks mandatory if you had the power to do so? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Would you make masks mandatory if you had the power to do so? 

NO shoes, no shirt, no mask no service?

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

So from your response your are mostly likely a spoiled as shit millennial with helicopter parents.  They clearly raised you to think only of yourself....    

 

677D6B02-67F4-463D-B497-E89DF2FE2D87.jpeg
 

Get VVoke, sheeple!

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

 

Just now, Billings said:

NO shoes, no shirt, no mask no service?

So I interpret your answer is yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×