bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, WAC_FAN said:

Almost everyone changed their mind on this at some point.  The important thing is the willingness to change your mind after being presented with the appropriate facts.

There are still a number of people who have not changed their minds yet. I have spoken to a few recently IRL.

1% of the country has now been infected. what is the ceiling for this 2%, 5%, god forbid 10% or more

14 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

1% of the country has now been infected. what is the ceiling for this 2%, 5%, god forbid 10% or more

It would be more accurate to say 1% .1% of the population has tested positive. If we start with yesterday's total of approx. 10,000 deaths and use Germany's baseline CFR of 1.5% (lower than has been realized elsewhere), than it can be assumed there were over 650K infected people in this country 3-4 weeks ago. Our case doubling rate has been about once every three days, but if we were to assume social distancing has cut that to a national average of once every 7 days, then it can be roughly estimated there are approx. 5.2 million to 10.4 million infected people in our population, both which would be remarkably low considering the estimates of 10-20% infection rates even with social distancing policies in place.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

No kidding....

I missed my Collegiate Hall of Fame induction..

My kids both missed their High School Hall of Fame induction

My son may well have missed out participating in the Tokyo Olympics

But guess what, had the trade off been losing my wife, their mother, to Covid we are pretty much all happy to deal with the consequences.

I feel you. I was getting the Nobel prize...

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

It would be more accurate to say 1% of the population has tested positive. If we start with yesterday's total of approx. 10,000 deaths and use Germany's baseline CFR of 1.5% (lower than has been realized elsewhere), than it can be assumed there were over 650K infected people in this country 3-4 weeks ago. Our case doubling rate has been about once every three days, but if we were to assume social distancing has cut that to a national average of once every 7 days, then it can be roughly estimated there are approx. 5.2 million to 10.4 million infected people in our population, both which would be remarkably low considering the estimates of 10-20% infection rates even with social distancing policies in place.

Your numbers appear to be off by a factor of ten. The US has a population of 330,000,000. One percent of that would be 3,300,000. The number of our total population that tested positive as of today is 363,000 or about 0.1%

As a side note the actual percentage of our population tested is a bit over 0.5% per the attached article.

https://www.statista.com/chart/21108/covid-19-tests-performed-per-million-of-the-population/

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

See above

32 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

See above

that's my bad, clearly 360k isnt 1% of the US population

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Your numbers appear to be off by a factor of ten. The US has a population of 330,000,000. One percent of that would be 3,300,000. The number of our total population that tested positive as of today is 363,000 or about 0.1%

As a side note the actual percentage of our population tested is a bit over 0.5% per the attached article.

https://www.statista.com/chart/21108/covid-19-tests-performed-per-million-of-the-population/

Yep on both counts.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-06-at-10-25-56-PM.pn

I don’t care who you are, this shit is funny.  

Y’all need a laugh.  Watch it :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Revised models are reporting significantly less deaths and hospitalizations than previously projected. On the drug front there is also encouraging news. They are finding hydroxychloroquine combined with zinc has been successful treating severe cases of the virus and it’s being used more often. 

Boston Medical Center is going to start clinical trials using nitrous oxide which has been used on babies to assist in breathing. They seem pretty excited it will help in early treatment for the Cvirus. Good news all around. Now we need a vaccine developed as early as possible. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Revised models are reporting significantly less deaths and hospitalizations than previously projected. On the drug front there is also encouraging news. They are finding hydroxychloroquine combined with zinc has been successful treating severe cases of the virus and it’s being used more often. 

All that money Trump will now make...:rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

All that money Trump will now make...:rolleyes:

And all those people who will now die as they refuse a potentially effective treatment all because Trump....  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

And all those people who will now die as they refuse a potentially effective treatment all because Trump....  :rolleyes:

Hospitals in Sweden have largely stopped using Hydroxychloroquine because of the negative side effects that their patients have been experiencing as compared to its effectiveness. 

this virus has some nasty complications for some

Doctors and researchers have reported that many severe cases end up developing heart damage during the course of their infection, sometimes culminating in a fatal cardiac arrest in which the heart stops beating. More rarely, suspected or confirmed patients have also shown symptoms and signs of neurological illness, such as brain swelling, seizures, and strokes (loss of smell or taste, commonly reported by sufferers, can also be linked to neurological damage).

https://gizmodo.com/latest-coronavirus-science-heart-and-brain-damage-may-1842708731

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Hospitals in Sweden have largely stopped using Hydroxychloroquine because of the negative side effects that their patients have been experiencing as compared to its effectiveness. 

Oh yeah, well it’s still used in several other countries.  So where does that leave us?

they are reducing CA death projections from 6k to just less than 2k.  I've been impressed with Gov. Newsom.  If all states would have been as quick to act as he was lots of lives could have been spared.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-07/california-coronavirus-peak

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

they are reducing CA death projections from 16k to just less than 2k.  I've been impressed with Gov. Newsom.  If all states would have been as quick to act as he was lots of lives could have been spared.

All politics aside, it’s good to see these numbers being adjusted for the better. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

All politics aside, it’s good to see these numbers being adjusted for the better. 

tHe MoDeLs WeRe LiBeRaL pLoTs To DaMaGe TrUmP!

- bOb

• Haha 1

Israeli Health Minister Yaakov Litzman and his wife have tested positive for coronavirus. The minister had termed the deadly coronavirus as ‘punishment for homosexuality’ in last month

https://nayadaur.tv/2020/04/israel-health-minister-who-termed-coronavirus-divine-punishment-gets-coronavirus/

:rimshot1:

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

they are reducing CA death projections from 6k to just less than 2k.  I've been impressed with Gov. Newsom.  If all states would have been as quick to act as he was lots of lives could have been spared.

Newsom should have been publicly leaning on local law enforcement to cool it on the Gestapo tactics. If the numbers continue to go down, and the house arrest inevitably persist into the summer just to be safe, he has an obligation to do so, imo. I just saw my county has a +++++ing narc hotline.