bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

My young adult life was in the Reagan era. I never felt like he was that special or any different than most presidents. I saw him as the former movie star who some how became president. The old crowd at the time really loved him. I give him credit for wearing down the Russians sufficiently so that the Berlin Wall was finally toppled. And I do have his signature on my college diploma. 😀

Yeah I was 8 when he left office but I feel like was well liked and respected. 

I’ve learned in the last year or so from reading this board I don’t know as much as I thought I knew, but what I liked about Obama is no matter how feel about his policies his character is at the highest level. He’s not perfect but he was genuine. In my opinion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

I’ve learned in the last year or so from reading this board I don’t know as much as I thought I knew, but what I liked about Obama is no matter how feel about his policies his character is at the highest level. He’s not perfect but he was genuine. In my opinion.

Trump is genuine too, a genuine asshole. There is no facade. Obama played the nice guy in public. Underneath he was as cut throat as Trump, maybe even moreso. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Didn’t he basically destabilize South America, and in a way partly responsible for the “emergency” at the border? Or am I off base here.

Yes. He had an amnesty, which short term helped illegal immigration, but had no framework in place to take advantage of it - so he poisoned the well of "amenesty" for no real gain.

16 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

He emptied out the nut houses too, thus giving rise to our homeless epidemic right now. He bankrupted us in pursuit of outspending the Soviets. 

He pulled Iran-Contra, too, among other things. 

He was awful. 

Not to mention his handling of the AIDS pandemic was criminal and he finalized the unholy union of business republicans and bible thumpers.

I don't get what people liked about him. 

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yes. He had an amnesty, which short term helped illegal immigration, but had no framework in place to take advantage of it - so he poisoned the well of "amenesty" for no real gain.

Not to mention his handling of the AIDS pandemic was criminal and he finalized the unholy union of business republicans and bible thumpers.

I don't get what people liked about him. 

I'll admit to being one of those who loved Reagan when I was younger. Mainly for three things, he was a great communicator, I always felt he had the best interest of the public in mind, and I was a young boy in Idaho where he was idolized. Over time, with both maturity and evolution world view, my opinion of him deteriorated significantly. 

• Like 2

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

20 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I'll admit to being one of those who loved Reagan when I was younger. Mainly for three things, he was a great communicator, I always felt he had the best interest of the public in mind, and I was a young boy in Idaho where he was idolized. Over time, with both maturity and evolution world view, my opinion of him deteriorated significantly. 

Same. He has those policies and moments that make you go "are you freaking kidding me!?" 

You look back at history and wonder how things would be different in certain close races. What if Ford had beat carter, what if Bush I had won the primary in 1980 (I mean, wasn't that close, I still think about it), what if McCain had won the primary in 2000. 

• Like 3

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Trump is genuine too, a genuine asshole. There is no facade. Obama played the nice guy in public. Underneath he was as cut throat as Trump, maybe even moreso. 

I have posted that for years, all Trump has done is tear down the facade of civility.

• Like 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

36 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I have posted that for years, all Trump has done is tear down the facade of civility.

Of himself?  Because I think we are witnessing a whole lot of civility in the wake of the virus.  And we saw it after 9/11, we see it immediately after tragedy.  I would counter that to the average American, the facade is thinking we are so disconnected and divided.  Soon as something terrible happens the fake toughness of "I'm a this" or "I'm a that" is gone for that window in time.  

• Like 2

As someone who hates shaking hands - hell yes let's do this.

“One of them is absolute compulsive hand-washing,” Fauci, a member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said Wednesday during a Wall Street Journal podcast.

“The other,” he added, “is you don't ever shake anybody's hands. I don't think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you.”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci-on-us-after-coronavirus-no-shaking-hands-ever-again

17 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

My young adult life was in the Reagan era. I never felt like he was that special or any different than most presidents. I saw him as the former movie star who some how became president. The old crowd at the time really loved him. I give him credit for wearing down the Russians sufficiently so that the Berlin Wall was finally toppled. And I do have his signature on my college diploma. 😀

He married Nancy in this little tiny place where Mrs. SGF and I were also married: Little Brown Church

The Little Brown Church has been there forever and those who frequent it these days aren't exactly known for their conservative political views. But then, Reagan was a Democrat at the time and had been president of the Screen Actor's Guild.

What I most recall about Reagan is how poorly he handled the People's Park thing in Berkeley when I was in junior high school. Contrary to the Occupy stuff which occurred in various places in California five years ago or so, he didn't just let the leftists have their demonstration and allow it to play out until the great majority of the protestors got bored and went home. Instead he called in the CHP and other state cops in riot gear to force them out even though there was no riot going on. I remember my folks, who were politically moderate, being unhappy because we'd all watched Mayor Daley's cops beat up a bunch of kids only a year before outside the Democratic convention and by then almost everyone was against the Vietnam War so protesting it wasn't exactly some radical act.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

He married Nancy in this little tiny place where Mrs. SGF and I were also married: Little Brown Church

The Little Brown Church has been there forever and those who frequent it these days aren't exactly known for their conservative political views. But then, Reagan was a Democrat at the time and had been president of the Screen Actor's Guild.

What I most recall about Reagan is how poorly he handled the People's Park thing in Berkeley when I was in junior high school. Contrary to the Occupy stuff which occurred in various places in California five years ago or so, he didn't just let the leftists have their demonstration and allow it to play out until the great majority of the protestors got bored and went home. Instead he called in the CHP and other state cops in riot gear to force them out even though there was no riot going on. I remember my folks, who were politically moderate, being unhappy because we'd all watched Mayor Daley's cops beat up a bunch of kids only a year before outside the Democratic convention and by then almost everyone was against the Vietnam War so protesting it wasn't exactly some radical act.

He has become almost God like to many conservatives. Having lived through his presidency I don’t see it. There were pros and cons with his policies like every president. I’m pretty much neutral on him. However, I’ll add I was pretty much apolitical at the time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I think any politician that makes it to the highest level did so at the expense of people along their way. Maybe this is my bias showing, but he didn’t spend much time climbing the ranks in order to get the presidency, so my thinking is he didn’t do the high level heinous shit a lot of politicians do. But maybe I just hope that’s the truth because I lean left.

I saw that Brad Pitt movie on Netflix about the general that was fired.. Not sure how true it was, but Obama seemed to do some Trump level petty stuff in his dealings with the Iraq War.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

He has become almost God like to many conservatives. Having lived through his presidency I don’t see it. There were pros and cons with his policies like every president. I’m pretty much neutral on him. However, I’ll add I was pretty much apolitical at the time. 

I was just a kid but did kick ass economy wise? 

I was 12-20 when Clinton was president and didn’t care about politics at all. But those were some great years, maybe just in a nostalgic way, so I think of him favorably.

12 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I was just a kid but did kick ass economy wise? 

I was 12-20 when Clinton was president and didn’t care about politics at all. But those were some great years, maybe just in a nostalgic way, so I think of him favorably.

I thought impeaching Clinton for getting a bj in the White House was dumb. And I understand people thought his lying about it was the reason for impeachment, which I didn’t think was that big a deal given what he lied about.  His countless visits to Epstein’s pedophile island was a much bigger deal IMO. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I thought impeaching Clinton for getting a bj in the White House was dumb. And I understand people thought his lying about it was the reason for impeachment, which I didn’t think was that big a deal given what he lied about.  His countless visits to Epstein’s pedophile farm was a much bigger deal IMO. 

Yeah he’s got some demons in the closet for sure. I just remember the internet going mainstream, stock market going crazy(probably because the internet right, which his VP invented).

No, I’m not serious about Al Gore and the internet lol.

3 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Yeah he’s got some demons in the closet for sure. I just remember the internet going mainstream, stock market going crazy(probably because the internet right, which his VP invented).

No, I’m not serious about Al Gore and the internet lol.

It was good times for the economy. His presidency was the last time our debt was near zero. Partly because the Republican Party controlled Congress and were more fiscally responsible then. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Don't forget Governor Reagan had put Ed Meese in charge of the government's responses at People's Park. That is the same Ed Meese who later was appointed President Reagan's Attorney General in the 1980s.

• Like 2

Almost thought about putting this in the Kushner/surveillance thread, but that would have been presumptive. Nonetheless, wtf? :mellow: In addition, there was a K9 in the back who stuck his/her head out the window right after I took this. 

As seen while returning from a grocery store in SD city limits, about 30 miles north of downtown:

wtf-IMG-1172.jpg

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Liberty University Police have issued arrest warrants for reporters from the NY Times and ProPublica for misdemeanor trespassing while interviewing people about Liberty reopening their campus.

Jerry Falwell Jr not liking the coverage and filing lawsuits is one thing. Seeking out arrest warrants is an entirely different move in my mind.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/492015-liberty-university-police-issue-arrest-warrants-for-nyt-propublica-reporters