bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

What department did you work in? 

I deal with local governments, building and planning in Reno and Sparks about 7-8 times each year. Although it can sometimes be frustrating, usually it's a straight forward business transaction. The only times it's been frustrating is because I didn't have all my t's crossed and i's dotted.

When I have witnessed problems with public servants, it's always been the citizen who was at fault. It's not the public servant's problem that many folks don't have their shit together. The workers don't make the rules and policies, and they don't have the authority to give you a break even if they wanted to.

btw, those folks who "work in government" are our friends, neighbors, and Americans too.

I think an example of government inefficiency and incompetence is replacement of a section of the the areas Bay Bridge. After the earthquake, it took them over 25 years to get the job done. Compare that to 4 years to build the Golden Gate bridge.

110926run_defense710.jpg

49 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I couldn’t imagine it being that far back, had it done three weeks ago when I had type A flu and strep (obviously strep they swab the throat). 

Sneezed a couple of times after but it was no big deal.  

29 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I think an example of government inefficiency and incompetence is replacement of a section of the the areas Bay Bridge. After the earthquake, it took them over 25 years to get the job done. Compare that to 4 years to build the Golden Gate bridge.

Hard to compare the two because of government environmental regulations and OSHA which didn’t exist when the GG bridge was built.  I’m sure there were a myriad of other government road blocks for the Bay Bridge also. 

But you’re right anytime the government is involved it’s going to slow the process if not stop it for years. If it was up to the EPA nothing would get built.

3 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I couldn’t imagine it being that far back, had it done three weeks ago when I had type A flu and strep (obviously strep they swab the throat). 

Sneezed a couple of times after but it was no big deal.  

Swabbing for the flu and swabbing for COVID-19 are different. They have to go much deeper for COVID. They've actually experienced tons of negatives with swabs that came back positive with bronchoscopy cultures.

24 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I mean... repair/remodel jobs are often more expensive and time intensive than new construction. Also, they didn't, like, drive on the golden gate bridge during construction. Not a reasonable comparison.

• Cheers 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

38 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

The same government got that bridge reopened in 5-6 weeks after the quake. That's pretty freaking amazing if you ask me.

50 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

btw, it wasn't "replacement of a section", it is an entirely new structure.

And yes, politics played a very large role in why it took so long and cost so much. Not left v right politics, just different visions and what the local Bay area "people" wanted; you know, democracy. And it is those folks who are largely paying for it thru much higher toll fees.

The actual construction took about 11 years. Which seems like a very long time.

Good short history:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/316201-brief-history-64-billion-bay-bridge/

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Hopefully there is positive results from this. Key words are still "hospitalized patients". The Colorado board of pharmacy had to put a guideline out to stop prescribers from writing rxs for themselves and family members.

Holy crap the locusts are still loose!

Went to the store. No flour of any kind.  No sugar. No pasta of any kind. No canned chile and other prepared meals.

I really thought this would have slowed down by now.

One of the Final Five..........

Just now, mysfit said:

Went to the store. No flour of any kind.  No sugar. No pasta of any kind. No canned chile and other prepared meals.

I Henderson area of LV the stores aren't as nuts as they were 10 to 14 days ago.............but toilet paper, some cleaning items are hard to come by, and meat is suddenly expensive - Stores now putting limits on number of certain items that can be purchased 

Oh dear

The Dr who separated conjoined twins has died from coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/new-york-neurosurgeon-death-coronavirus-mcdonald-twins/index.html

I don't know if anyone followed the story but he was incredibly skilled.

When people shrug off the deaths of well it's just old people, that's a lot of skill that cannot be replaced and it's a lost resource for teaching.

One of the Final Five..........

12 minutes ago, mysfit said:

I like to bake bread.  I was starting to get low on bread flour as all of this started happening.  I have not been able to get any.  I went to the grocery store today and there was one bag of whole wheat flour (which I have plenty of).  I still have plenty of yeast.  I am sure people who have never baked a loaf of bread in their lives are sitting with a year supply.