bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

It is just going to get worse as some states refuse to implement stay at home orders.  What the states that are aggressively trying to slow the outbreak must require people who enter those states from states without stay at home orders to be inspected for illness at the point of entry and then be required to isolate themselves for 14 days before traveling in the state.  This is what Hawaii has done and it is what other states must due to protect themselves from additional infection.

It would be nice if we had a united policy in this country but our country should really be called the Disunited States of America.  

p.s.: has anybody else heard about some of the New York hospitals already being overrun by virus patients?

19 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

It is just going to get worse as some states refuse to implement stay at home orders.  What the states that are aggressively trying to slow the outbreak must require people who enter those states from states without stay at home orders to be inspected for illness at the point of entry and then be required to isolate themselves for 14 days before traveling in the state.  This is what Hawaii has done and it is what other states must due to protect themselves from additional infection.

It would be nice if we had a united policy in this country but our country should really be called the Disunited States of America.  

p.s.: has anybody else heard about some of the New York hospitals already being overrun by virus patients?

BTW only the states can call that order on health.  President can't do that.

Reuters reports the hospitalization rate dropped in New York today

5 minutes ago, Billings said:

BTW only the states can call that order on health.  President can't do that.

Reuters reports the hospitalization rate dropped in New York today

According to the Reuters story new cases still rose by 5,000 in the past 24 hours.  

The New York Times reports that over the past 24 hours 13 people died of coronavirus at Elmhurst Hospital.  Some of them died in the emergency room waiting for a bed.  It is expected that all of the more that 1,800 intensive care units in the city will be full by Friday. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

According to the Reuters story new cases still rose by 5,000 in the past 24 hours.  

The New York Times reports that over the past 24 hours 13 people died of coronavirus at Elmhurst Hospital.  Some of them died in the emergency room waiting for a bed.  It is expected that all of the more that 1,800 intensive care units in the city will be full by Friday. 

Saw the new cases but must be fewer needing hospitalization at this point.  

Ugly in that waiting room.  Demand will be uneven across the states and cities hospitals

22 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

Smaller city hospitals in some areas are already full.

In southwest Georgia, Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany has filled all of its ICU beds in 4 different units, is trying to open temporary ICU units, is discharging patients to make space and announced today it is transferring patients to other hospitals in the state. The hospital is a 691 total beds at all care levels facility.

7 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Smaller city hospitals in some areas are already full.

In southwest Georgia, Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany has filled all of its ICU beds in 4 different units, is trying to open temporary ICU units, is discharging patients to make space and announced today it is transferring patients to other hospitals in the state. The hospital is a 691 total beds at all care levels facility.

This is the first I have heard of Albany.  That many cases requiring hospitalization in that area should be a warning to other similar areas.  

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

I mean, you'd have a legitimate point if either @TheSanDiegan or I had said any of that. But, I guess you're the prophet, and you know what the final death toll will be when all is said and done. All hail to the mighty Bob the Clairvoyant. 

My wager still stands. Loser has to permanently ban himself from this board 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

My wager still stands. Loser has to permanently ban himself from this board 

You have some serious empathy issues if you're once again making light of the potential deaths of Americans.

Are you going to wish COVID-19 on me again as well?

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

Really man? 

First, in the '60s we had nationwide riots, cities burning, massive protests, assassination of political and social leaders, 3rd party candidates winning entire swaths of the country, and militant groups lynching people and openly calling for civil exclusion. Do you really think we're worse off than that?

Secondly, do you think that a blue state is just a bunch of blue ants and a red state is a bunch of red ants? There are more republicans in California than there are in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and Nebraska... combined. What do you do about that? Do you partition neighborhoods? Furthermore, what happens to all of the stuff in a "divorce"? What happens to the US pacific fleet? Nukes? Highways? Bridges? Dams? Water rights? How does going international with that divide get easier? What happens to the US economy when there's no way to ship westward? What happens to the US vision of itself when we are no longer "sea to shining sea"?

Thirdly, what do you think happens to the rural states without being connected to the cities? Our economy is resource extraction, agriculture, and tourism. That isn't a first world economy. That's a third world economy. We have a first world standard of living because we are better united. The US is more - FAR more - than the sum of our parts. That's... kind of the point.

Fourth, what happens when there is an international disagreement? If California wants to tax any imports? If there is a water rights issue? If West Coastia will accept Mexican labor but not American labor? That shit gets settled in a war. Unless you are completely out of your head, you have to know that any war is worse than about 1000 years running of the current situation.

Fifth, do you have any experience with divorces? Based on your comments, I'm guessing "nope". What do you do with the kids (citizenship)? For that matter, what do you think divorce is? When you divorce someone they don't die. They're still there and you still have to deal with them and in this case, you can't even move. Getting divorced makes you deal with your ex MORE in a lot of cases, and you just gave up a lot of leverage. Do you really want to have to deal with Amazon and Boeing and Microsoft and Google and all of the 67 Fortune 500 companies in West Coastia but without the power of regulating them? 

Sixth, what kind of "nastiness" are you seeing that warrants divorce? Dude, we all live together and want a lot of the same stuff. Hell, talk to individual people and they tend to agree on what problems are a lot more than opposing congresspeople do. I have no idea what kind of nonsense you're consuming when you think that your neighbors, preachers, clients, and customers are so "nasty" you want to divorce them. You sound like you've been listening to some real nonsense. 

Hey listen there are lots of complications. I’m not saying states are gonna break away tomorrow or in the next 20 years, but we are definitely headed that direction . 

I have been reading these posts for quite a few days. I understand both sides. This is an emotional topic! However you feel, it is real. My wife goes in for a test tomorrow. Her doctor is extremely concerned because of her symptoms and her preexisting lupus. Everyone can have their opinions, but let's be good to each other. I can assure you the symptoms are no joke. Also, we could use a little MWC magical thoughts/ prayers from all of you.

• Like 11
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, phxpoke said:

I have been reading these posts for quite a few days. I understand both sides. This is an emotional topic! However you feel, it is real. My wife goes in for a test tomorrow. Her doctor is extremely concerned because of her symptoms and her preexisting lupus. Everyone can have their opinions, but let's be good to each other. I can assure you the symptoms are no joke. Also, we could use a little MWC magical thoughts/ prayers from all of you.

Prayers poke.  I know what it’s like to be worried about your spouse. 

14 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You have some serious empathy issues if you're once again making light of the potential deaths of Americans.

Are you going to wish COVID-19 on me again as well?

I am in no way making light of people who will be impacted by this. I am certainly making light if fools like you who get a thrill out of the hysteria. Wager still stands 

Just now, bornontheblue said:

I am in no way making light of people who will be impacted by this. I am certainly making light if fools like you who get a thrill out of the hysteria. Wager still stands 

Just curious have you done the math?   The wager is how many people versus our population?  

6 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Somebody could use a step back from the interwebs.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, phxpoke said:

Good luck poke. I’m all in on the prayers for your family.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, phxpoke said:

I hope everything goes okay with your wife tomorrow man. Prayers. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg