bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

4 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

We are doing this, for the most part, to save or lessen the impact on the elderly.  Has anyone asked them?  I think the vast majority of them would rather take their chances with Covid-19 if it meant they could pass something they recognize as the U.S.A down to their grandkids.

And I'm not willing to have my parents suffer just so me and my children can have more stuff.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

Louisiana looks to be getting hit hard with serious/critical cases.

Orleans and Jefferson Parish are the major affected areas according to the Governor.  That's NOLA proper.  I cannot imagine that city abiding by a shelter-in-place.  Too poor, too much family to visit, too "I don't give a damn".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billings said:

America is Humbled

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51981627

interesting read

Can't wait for Hannity's inevitable diatribe against non-Trumpers and how American Exceptionalism allowed the prez to handle this pandemic better than anybody.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Popped a 103 fever over the weekend with sinus related symptoms. All good now so I didn't go to doc. Wife had it a week before me. I will be getting tested next week thru work, so we will see if I had the plague or not.

Stay safe out there peeps!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You sound like Dan Patrick, Texas' Lieutenant Governor, who went on TV last night and said almost the exact same thing. 

Further, it's not just the elderly that are being impacted. As has been told to you on many occasions, this is about lessening the impact on our hospital system, which doesn't have the capacity to handle the influx of patients that would result. Well, unless your solution is to just let them die without treatment. Additionally, the elderly aren't the only ones that are being hospitalized with serious cases of this, they just are the ones who are dying at the highest rate.

Come on Retro, you know what he’s trying to say. I think it’s a valid question. What is the country going to be like when we come out the other side? The economy is going to take years to recover, the suffering will be felt by the majority of Americans for a long damn time. I’m  for saving every life we can and I know doing so is going to put us deeper in the economic hole. But I’m also worried about what this country becomes when this is over. That discussion needs to be had now, otherwise we may never have another opportunity to have it.

4 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Popped a 103 fever over the weekend with sinus related symptoms. All good now so I didn't go to doc. Wife had it a week before me. I will be getting tested next week thru work, so we will see if I had the plague or not.

Stay safe out there peeps!

Glad you recovered.  Hopefully it wasn’t corona. Well maybe we should hope it was so now you’re immune :hmmm:

• Cheers 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

As humbled as she makes the U.S. out to be, she was pretty fricking smug about it.

The American Exceptionalism thing is such a crock that I can't blame anyone in Canada or three dozen or so other countries where the standard of living is just as good as it is here, if not better, when they tacitly point out that concept's absurdity.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

The American Exceptionalism thing is such a crock that I can't blame anyone in Canada or four or five dozen other countries where the standard of living is just as good as it is here if not better when they tacitly point out that concept's absurdity.

Our exceptionalism died when W invaded Iraq.  It was on life support before then. W just pulled the plug.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

And I'm not willing to have my parents suffer just so me and my children can have more stuff.

This is not about having more stuff.  This is about us having jobs and not having a shell of a country.  FYI, your parents are likely going to get this, as are you and I.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

We are doing this, for the most part, to save or lessen the impact on the elderly.  Has anyone asked them?  I think the vast majority of them would rather take their chances with Covid-19 if it meant they could pass something they recognize as the U.S.A down to their grandkids.

I don't know. The idea of a "Logan's Run" type society or a place like Elsewhere in "The Giver" just seem so unAmerican to me.

27 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

And for his press conferences of misinformation.  

And for his refusal to take charge and manage this

Instead saying he isn't a shipping clerk and each state needs to get their own supplies

One of the Final Five..........

Bottomline, the country as is, is not working all that well for a lot of people.

No health care, food insecurity, one paycheck away from disaster, not making a living wage....income disparity 

Yes this is going to suck but I'd like to see us come out the other side with something more equitable and much less tilted towards big business and the ultra rich.

This sucks but it's also an opportunity 

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

2 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

a couple of news items I didn't see mentioned here

- NY experimenting with 2 people using a single ventilator machine

- 12 year died in Los Angeles from the virus today

I heard the first, not the 2nd

A 12yo died yesterday in Panama from the cvirus

44 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You sound like Dan Patrick, Texas' Lieutenant Governor, who went on TV last night and said almost the exact same thing. 

Further, it's not just the elderly that are being impacted. As has been told to you on many occasions, this is about lessening the impact on our hospital system, which doesn't have the capacity to handle the influx of patients that would result. Well, unless your solution is to just let them die without treatment. Additionally, the elderly aren't the only ones that are being hospitalized with serious cases of this, they just are the ones who are dying at the highest rate.

I doubt there is just one voice with this perspective.  Everyone who seems vested in this being the worst catastrophe ever always makes it into a false choice.  We don't have to choose between all or nothing.

• Cheers 1