bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

31 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Hey man, hang in there. Hopefully this ends soon. You've been through some rough shit before, you're a survivor regardless.

We fight.  We endeavor to persevere.  We hold our loved ones close and we move on and rebuild.  I am strong man, a capable man.  A lucky man.  As hard as things may seeme, I am going to give an outpouring of love.  We are +++++ing legion and this virus will not, can not, stop our love.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Hey, don't mess with my dig at Republicans! Besides, plenty think the government caused the crash last time, too, and those happen to be the same ones who chose not to participate that time around. But let's not go down that well-traveled road.

I have a question for you as a thoughtful conservative. Would you agree that greater oversight of $500B of taxpayer money is worth arguing over? Or is that Democrats putting politics over people?

I’ve argued from the beginning a bill getting money out to individuals and small businesses should have been passed immediately. People living paycheck to paycheck need that money ASAP.  Quibbling over the rest should take place after that. 

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Hey, don't mess with my dig at Republicans! Besides, plenty think the government caused the crash last time, too, and those happen to be same ones were the ones who chose not to participate that time around. But let's not go down that well-traveled road.

I have a question for you as a thoughtful conservative. Would you agree that greater oversight of $500B of taxpayer money is worth arguing over? Or is that Democrats putting politics over people?

Not really. But I’ve been an early chicken little on this issue, and I don’t think either side of the aisle truly grasps what’s about to be going on here. This is just our first 2.5 trillion dollar bailout. We’re gonna need another in a month. And another a few months after that. This is a $10 trillion dollar problem, at least. With government there will always be graft and waste, especially a (necessarily) rushed enormous spending bill like this one. Quibbling so that some bureaucrats might be able to save a few million here and there is is pretty small potatoes compared to what we’re up against.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

27 minutes ago, retrofade said:

We've crossed the 50,000 cases threshold now.

VJSbvFy.png

Shit.  Italy death count back up after 2 days with decreasing numbers.  So much for that.  Just horrific circumstances for the Italians right now...

Just now, sjsbuff said:

Shit.  Italy death count back up after 2 days with decreasing numbers.  So much for that.  Just horrific circumstances for the Italians right now...

infection rates in Italy are still declining though in Italy

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Not really. But I’ve been an early chicken little on this issue, and I don’t think either side of the aisle truly grasps what’s about to be going on here. This is just our first 2.5 trillion dollar bailout. We’re gonna need another in a month. And another a few months after that. This is a $10 trillion dollar problem, at least. With government there will always be graft and waste, especially a (necessarily) rushed enormous spending bill like this one. Quibbling so that some bureaucrats might be able to save a few million here and there is is pretty small potatoes compared to what we’re up against.

I agree that if we really do have a 12-18 month issue here, this will only be the tip of the iceberg. I think the US can mostly weather another 10 tril on the old credit card but I hope all this world instability and financial pressure doesn't lead to war.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Oversight is good, and as a conservative, I am surprised you wouldn't actually agree with that. Not that it will root out all fraud and waste, but waiting a day to get improved oversight and worker protections is not going to do much harm. At least not as much harm as a total giveaway where the only oversight is the Trump administration. Only the sycophants would think that is a good idea.

And yes, this is likely a bigger problem than one stimulus. Even more reason to make sure proper oversight is in place, or have we learned nothing from our giveaways of the past.

19 minutes ago, happycamper said:

lol you can walk from Laramie to Casper and be socially distant. what a stupid metric

It measures how much travel distance has changed.  It is pretty dumb, especially for rural states like Wyoming.  If you have a ranch you’re traveling probably hasn’t changed much. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

People do not understand what is about to happen.  I was a hard skeptic, thinking this was just another Asian nothing burger.  People have no idea.  This virus has shown the ability to mutate like a Mother +++++er.  It went from animal to animal, animal to human, human to human, split genome with two strands, in three damn months.  Those are huge, huge mutations.  This is a slippery mother +++++er.  There are now some of the smartest in the world saying a third strand is already developing.   We can not stop this.  We can not.  We are in the middle of the fight of our generational life.  This is our World War.  And it has a very strong chance of doing more death than either war.  This bastard is a +++++ing genetically mutating son of a bitch, reaching a critical mutation on average every 30 days.  We have never seen a virus so slippery, ever.  

Those who think Trump could have mitigated this are lying to themselves.  There was no chance.  We are not South Korea, and even South Korea is now bracing for second and third waves.  China is saying they are focusing on China first for the second wave.  This is just beginning. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I agree that if we really do have a 12-18 month issue here, this will only be the tip of the iceberg. I think the US can mostly weather another 10 tril on the old credit card but I hope all this world instability and financial pressure doesn't lead to war.

It will.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, mugtang said:

It measures how much travel distance has changed.  It is pretty dumb, especially for rural states like Wyoming.  If you have a ranch you’re traveling probably hasn’t changed much. 

looking at the comments in that twitter thread... lol. Pretty much every 2nd person is chiming in with that same thought.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Oversight is good, and as a conservative, I am surprised you wouldn't actually agree with that. Not that it will root out all fraud and waste, but waiting a day to get improved oversight and worker protections is not going to do much harm. At least not as much harm as a total giveaway where the only oversight is the Trump administration. Only the sycophants would think that is a good idea.

And yes, this is likely a bigger problem than one stimulus. Even more reason to make sure proper oversight is in place, or have we learned nothing from our giveaways of the past.

There’s a time for fiscal conservatism. When the enemy is already in the streets, in the hospitals, in our lungs; it is not that time. This is not like previous bailouts, which sought to get people back to work. This is to keep people from working as much as possible until there is a line we can hold. There needs to be an America left in 2022 worth conserving.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Disagree x1,000,000. Playing politics has no place at a time like this. 

They're "politicians", it's part of their job description. 

Did you feel it was one sided? It wasn't.

It worked exactly how it's supposed to work.

15 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

Spain is still on the deaths and infections doubling every 2-3 days trajectory as well. 

• Sad 1