bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

I’m watching this townhall on Fox News and every time a question is asked Mike Pence’s first response to every question is “that’s a great question”.  There’s being a politician and then there’s going over the top. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I figured that’s where it was going to end up.  As long as we can avoid a fight over the wish list she presented I think this gets done soon. 

Pelosi's proposal is purely a negotiation tactic, I bet. It put the threat of setting the process on fire on the table. Assuming that is the case, it's a good play. When Moscow Mitch is telling the world the Dems' problem with the bill is over solar panels, the Dems had to exert some counter pressure. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I think what you’re going to see is the most susceptible to death older crowd will shelter in place for longer periods. The younger work force will want to get back to work and hopefully will wait until hospitals can handle the demand. 

This is what ultimately has to happen.

• Like 1

It would be nice if we had effective treatments 

But a month is not possible. We might have the rough and dirty donor plasma with antibodies in a month.

There are so many tests that need to be done, and yes NEED is the operative word. It takes time. You don't want something with unintended complications ro reactions.

So no, there isn't going to be some magic silver bullet. You don't think the Chinese have been working on this?

Supportive treatment, adequate PPE and testing, testing testing.

One of the Final Five..........

7 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I bet. That is a brutally stressful situation. We've lost my wife's income. But we are older than you and have accrued plenty of savings, and we live frugally under normal circumstances, so we are in decent shape financially. I know it's hard, but keep your head up. You're a good man for doing that for your family. And god willing, you will all make it through this and closer than every before. I know some people don't want to hear this sort of thing, but my prayers are with you.

I did the math and I can support the three of us with the unlimited OT being offered me, while working from home in my pajamas with my cat.  I know how hard it is for me and my heart is breaking, because I know there are so many so much worse off.  Households like mine but with a young man who maybe made one more poor life decision than I did, and is not afforded that opportunity.  I consider myself lucky, I can hold it down for the people I love.  It will take it's toll on me, but we will come out of this for the better and closer than ever.  My dad brought me breakfast at my desk as I was getting ready to clock out from my 7PM to 10 AM shift.  My sister drew me a hot both.  Yeah, Imma hold it down for them.  They are doing what they can to hold it down for me.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Governor Cuomo's press conference today was dire.  They need 140k hospital beds, 40k ICU beds.  

they have 53k and 3k.

What they really need are ventilators

They need 30k. FEMA sent them 400....

26 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And the WHO.  They bungled this thing as well.  As did all of the West.  I disagree, after reading everything I have read.  It appears that the virus was likely spreading here in the USA in late January, and we just did not know it.  You are wrong.  With the way things were set up, the way our country is dispersed and the freedom of movement we enjoy with such a large population of such a wide land mass.  There was not stopping this hurricane of shit.

My mid seventies sister in law living in NorCal had the classic Cvirus symptoms in mid to late January and the last couple of months had a really rough time although never hospitalized. Her doctors couldn’t give her a good answer as to what was going on. Her docs did put her on oxygen at home. She is now just beginning to feel better. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I'm not mocking the scenario. I'm arguing my point that it's unreasonable to stop society for this illness. Life won't be worth living for anyone if we listen to some 'experts' and stay home for months 

Yeah sorry Bill, my biweekly Taco John's trip is way more important than you not dying from a treatable accident because the hospitals are overrun 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

My mid seventies sister in law living in NorCal had the classic Cvirus symptoms in mid to late January and the last couple of months had a really rough time although never hospitalized. Her doctors couldn’t give her a good answer as to what was going on. Her docs did put her on oxygen at home. She is now just beginning to feel better. 

Yea but flu is rough this year as well.  maybe but maybe not

Just now, happycamper said:

Yeah sorry Bill, my biweekly Taco John's trip is way more important than you not dying from a treatable accident because the hospitals are overrun 

Those Potato Oles ARE pretty tasty. 

I have to say, Mnuchin has been something of a bright spot in all of this. He's been in the trenches doing the heavy lifting and getting it done.

Pence also outperformed my expectations

• Like 4

Just now, mysfit said:

I have to say, Mnuchin has been something of a bright spot in all of this. He's been in the trenches doing the heavy lifting and getting it done.

Pence also outperformed my expectations

Agreed on both points. 

3 minutes ago, Billings said:

People are dying on the floor in hospitals. They are taking grandma off ventilators to give it to someone younger. This has the potential to get bad here too.

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I did the math and I can support the three of us with the unlimited OT being offered me, while working from home in my pajamas with my cat.  I know how hard it is for me and my heart is breaking, because I know there are so many so much worse off.  Households like mine but with a young man who maybe made one more poor life decision than I did, and is not afforded that opportunity.  I consider myself lucky, I can hold it down for the people I love.  It will take it's toll on me, but we will come out of this for the better and closer than ever.  My dad brought me breakfast at my desk as I was getting ready to clock out from my 7PM to 10 AM shift.  My sister drew me a hot both.  Yeah, Imma hold it down for them.  They are doing what they can to hold it down for me.

You're a real hero, man. 

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You're a real hero, man. 

I do not know about that.  But I have a good moral compase and a strong protective instinct.  The real heroes are those doing their utmost to bring us all food, water, supplies.  The gas station clerk.  The truck driver.  I am just an overwhlemed youngish man dedicated to his family who got lucky instead of catching felonies as a kid.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Pelosi's proposal is purely a negotiation tactic, I bet. It put the threat of setting the process on fire on the table. Assuming that is the case, it's a good play. When Moscow Mitch is telling the world the Dems' problem with the bill is over solar panels, the Dems had to exert some counter pressure. 

Disagree x1,000,000. Playing politics has no place at a time like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

We put dollar figures kn human lives all the time.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.