bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

4 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

We should always err on the side of caution with kids, and we knew for sure masks weren’t hurting them. Even if they were only .1 percent effective it was worth it to me.

Um... masks absolutely were hurting them. Especially kids who were supposed to be developing language skills, let alone social skills. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 3/11/2022 at 12:01 PM, smltwnrckr said:

Um... masks absolutely were hurting them. Especially kids who were supposed to be developing language skills, let alone social skills. 

Its  a pandemic that will end up killing 1 million Americans. You can catch up with social and language skills, can’t get back a loved one that passes. I’ve had 4 kids in school through this thing, they ended up just fine. I’m sure some did struggle with the masks but I meant the masks didn’t hard the kids on a physical level like the virus does.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Its  a pandemic that will end up killing 1 million Americans. You can catch up with social and language skills, can’t get back a loved one that passes. I’ve had 4 kids in school through this thing, they ended up just fine. I’m sure some did struggle with the masks but I meant the masks didn’t hard the kids on a physical level like the virus does.

And there's very little data to suggest young kids without masks on would have contributed much if anything to that number. The unwillingness for people in power to make calculated risks that balance societal risks and social harm with epidemiological risk and harm has very much contributed to the effed up political situation we are in now. There has yet to be one reasonable argument I have seen for masking young children in school. None. If you have one, please send it my way.

At the risk of getting melodramatic and maybe even inappropriate... people are dying right now because the very interpersonal and social systems, norms, values and acts that they use to tell themselves and each other what it means to be a person are under immediate threat. That stuff matters, and the unwillingness to admit the very heavy toll the last 2 years has had on young people by taking much of that away from them when the data suggests that they of all people should and could have been spared as much as possible from the impact of the pandemic suggests something to me that I find very, very disturbing. 

• Like 6

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 3/11/2022 at 12:19 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Statistically children who fall behind developmentally or in school never catch up.

It was already a known issue in education prior to the pandemic.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2022 at 1:36 PM, IanforHeisman said:

I stand corrected then.  

It's also most dramatic in the children who can ill afford to be even further behind. It created an even larger education gap for lower income students who's parents don't have the resources or knowledge to compensate. So in reality we just guaranteed a generation of low income students will live and die in or near poverty.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:04 PM, HR_Poke said:

It's also most dramatic in the children who can ill afford to be even further behind. It created an even larger education gap for lower income students who's parents don't have the resources or knowledge to compensate. So in reality we just guaranteed a generation of low income students will live and die in or near poverty.

At the time and what was known, the only alternative to masks was to continue home schooling.. Which people seemed to be against overwhelmingly. I’m not sure what could have been done in order for everyone to be in agreement on.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:06 PM, IanforHeisman said:

At the time and what was known, the only alternative to masks was to continue home schooling.. Which people seemed to be against overwhelmingly. I’m not sure what could have been done in order for everyone to be in agreement on.

In the beginning probably not much. But it comes with a significant societal cost, and I haven't heard too many ideas on how to fix/resolve this aside from middle and upper income parents hiring tutors.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:28 AM, smltwnrckr said:

And there's very little data to suggest young kids without masks on would have contributed much if anything to that number. The unwillingness for people in power to make calculated risks that balance societal risks and social harm with epidemiological risk and harm has very much contributed to the effed up political situation we are in now. There has yet to be one reasonable argument I have seen for masking young children in school. None. If you have one, please send it my way.

At the risk of getting melodramatic and maybe even inappropriate... people are dying right now because the very interpersonal and social systems, norms, values and acts that they use to tell themselves and each other what it means to be a person are under immediate threat. That stuff matters, and the unwillingness to admit the very heavy toll the last 2 years has had on young people by taking much of that away from them when the data suggests that they of all people should and could have been spared as much as possible from the impact of the pandemic suggests something to me that I find very, very disturbing. 

I don't think Most kids were at risk.  Problem was, pre-vaccine, a huge chunk of American teachers are older and or high risk.   That has to be considered.  Once the vaccines hit and were shown to be effective then school should have stayed opened.

For sone schools that stayed open kids often just sat in a hall and had a book as there was no staff to teach anything anyway.  Hall was by office so they could be monitored.

On 3/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, Billings said:

I don't think Most kids were at risk.  Problem was, pre-vaccine, a huge chunk of American teachers are older and or high risk.   That has to be considered.  Once the vaccines hit and were shown to be effective then school should have stayed opened.

For sone schools that stayed open kids often just sat in a hall and had a book as there was no staff to teach anything anyway.  Hall was by office so they could be monitored.

The one that blows my mind is the VA school districts that were advocating remote learning for the entire school year even though the teachers were second in line for vaccinations.

On 3/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, HR_Poke said:

The one that blows my mind is the VA school districts that were advocating remote learning for the entire school year even though the teachers were second in line for vaccinations.

Yea.  Once the vaccines were widely available there is no reason for that

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 6:31 AM, grandjean87 said:

Cases rising again in a number of European countries. Hospitalizations appear to have started a slight rebound upwards in a few places:

no news of a new variant though.... Given the relaxation of the guidelines and rules there is no surprise we will se an increase in cases to some extent...

11 minutes ago, Billings said:

no news of a new variant though....

BA.2 mixed with BA.1, but BA.2 surpassing as far as I know.  @ScottGottlieb thinks the base case is a  rise, lower plateau, and summer decline. We here, are all about the return to total normality. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 3:03 PM, grandjean87 said:

BA.2 mixed with BA.1, but BA.2 surpassing as far as I know.  @ScottGottlieb thinks the base case is a  rise, lower plateau, and summer decline. We here, are all about the return to total normality. 

Sort of expected to see a surge with all the restrictions being totally lifted.    Hopefully a much lower plateau.

• Like 1