bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

On 2/28/2023 at 1:36 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

Might make sense why he is so prolific on against anything COVID since day 1.  He needs to vent, and maybe can't at home. 

Or, maybe she is the twitter account he never stops posting.  :ph34r:

Heh, makes sense. I don't go searching the stuff, but he is the most vehemently anti-vax person I know (in person or on the Internet) and his wife is vaccinated.  I'm just really curious how that home dynamic works.

On 2/28/2023 at 3:58 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Heh, makes sense. I don't go searching the stuff, but he is the most vehemently anti-vax person I know (in person or on the Internet) and his wife is vaccinated.  I'm just really curious how that home dynamic works.

My dad is a physician who is vaccinated and boosted, while my mom (former nurse) is vehemently anti-vax. 

edit: she's anti COVID vaccination, not vaccinations in general. 

On 2/28/2023 at 2:16 PM, retrofade said:

My dad is a physician who is vaccinated and boosted, while my mom (former nurse) is vehemently anti-vax. 

edit: she's anti COVID vaccination, not vaccinations in general. 

Does she consistently go online to look up more anti-vax propaganda and share it with anyone who will listen like Bob? If so, how does your dad feel about it?

On 2/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Does she consistently go online to look up more anti-vax propaganda and share it with anyone who will listen like Bob? If so, how does your dad feel about it?

I see her sharing crazy memes about it occasionally. It might be more than occasionally, but I'm very rarely on Facebook these days. 

My dad just shrugs and says that "it's her decision" as it pertains to being vaccinated. I've mentioned her sharing blatant disinformation, and he says that he doesn't agree with them and has asked her to stop, but she hasn't.

My sister is a nurse and she's anti COVID vaccine as well, but she's had to get it in order to keep her job because she doesn't have any legitimate exemptions. Lo and behold, she hasn't died from or had any adverse effects from it. 

• Like 1

One of the semi-hidden effects of the pandemic appears in significant excess cardiovascular mortalities.  This study covers the first two years w/its multiple waves and variants. 

Both disruptions to health care during the pandemic's first two years and the long term effects of Covid infections and their vascular indications appear to be at hand:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s44161-023-00220-2

On 8/29/2023 at 10:50 AM, bornontheblue said:

@Bob, there is a new variant out. Can you lead us in washing off our masks and putting them back on. 

Also have you got the new booster yet? 

I recently have had to go on Facebook for a softball team group, and I don't know if it was never a dropped topic, but I am already seeing people claiming calamity again.  May as well fire this bad boy back up!  

On 8/29/2023 at 11:53 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I recently have had to go on Facebook for a softball team group, and I don't know if it was never a dropped topic, but I am already seeing people claiming calamity again.  May as well fire this bad boy back up!  

From the very brief amount I have read about it the new variant will evade the current booster , but they still don't know how sick it will make people, or how fast it spreads. 

On 8/29/2023 at 12:12 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

It's starting to pop off a bit in my hospital.

Please tell more, as every canary in the coal mine is an asset.

I've been tracking the R0 derived from the wastewater data and it's been trending back to 1 in San Diego County for a few weeks now - from late May to present (link):

Screen-Shot-2023-08-29-at-1-38-10-PM.png

Similarly, the county health department data shows daily hospitalizations have continued to slowly trend downward even as confirmed case counts have increased - while case counts began increasing in mid-July, hospitalizations from late-July onward have continued to decline. This would seem to be an early indication - given the median time from symptom onset to hospitalization is 8-10 days - that there is no increase in clinical severity with this new strain:

Screen-Shot-2023-08-29-at-1-24-22-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2023-08-29-at-1-21-19-PM.png

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 8/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Please tell more, as every canary in the coal mine is an asset.

I've been tracking the R0 derived from the wastewater data and it's been trending back to 1 in San Diego County for a few weeks now - from late May to present (link):

Screen-Shot-2023-08-29-at-1-38-10-PM.png

Similarly, the county health department data shows daily hospitalizations have continued to slowly trend downward even as confirmed case counts have increased - while case counts began increasing in mid-July, hospitalizations from late-July onward have continued to decline. This would seem to be an early indication - given the median time from symptom onset to hospitalization is 8-10 days - that there is no increase in clinical severity with this new strain:

Screen-Shot-2023-08-29-at-1-24-22-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2023-08-29-at-1-21-19-PM.png

It's been pretty low key all summer, maybe 1 or so covid admission at a time in a 30+ bed PCU. Last few weeks it's been 3+. Acuity of the patients have been about the same as previous covid cases over the last 6 months or so.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 2:36 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

It's been pretty low key all summer, maybe 1 or so covid admission at a time in a 30+ bed PCU. Last few weeks it's been 3+. Acuity of the patients have been about the same as previous covid cases over the last 6 months or so.

Thanks for that. A friend of mine is an ICU nurse and since the vaccines have been available, has said that not one person to come into ICU due to COVID has been vaccinated. Is that your experience as well?

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg