bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

On 10/14/2022 at 10:36 AM, retrofade said:

It looks like COVID finally caught up with us. My son is feeling miserable so I ran out and got some tests. Just a faint line for positive, but it's there. Gonna have to isolate him from everyone else, as we're all feeling fine. 

Damnit. 

Hope it's a well and soon recovery. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 6:36 AM, retrofade said:

It looks like COVID finally caught up with us. My son is feeling miserable so I ran out and got some tests. Just a faint line for positive, but it's there. Gonna have to isolate him from everyone else, as we're all feeling fine. 

Damnit. 

Both my sons at 33 went through it.   They recovered quickly.  I hope the same for yours.

I am still a covid virgin.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:23 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Hang in there - Hope it's a mild case 

On 10/14/2022 at 5:57 PM, grandjean87 said:

Hope it's a well and soon recovery. 

On 10/14/2022 at 6:03 PM, Billings said:

Both my sons at 33 went through it.   They recovered quickly.  I hope the same for yours.

I am still a covid virgin.

Yeah, he's 11, so he should be good. My 15 year old has gotten it twice. He said the first time he wanted to die, but the second time he was fine after two days. 

My wife started showing symptoms this evening, she hasn't taken a test yet and will probably wait for the morning. I have some mild symptoms, but I was already fighting off a mild cold, so it might just still be the remnants of that. Our 11 year old daughter is perfectly fine though, so here's to hoping she stays that way. My son is on cold medicine right now as well to help with his cough, and man oh man is the kid loopy now. He's cackling at everything he watches on his iPad. 

Now we've got the family quarantined in different rooms... wife in the master, kids in their rooms, and I'm in the guest room. 😂 

Here's to hoping that it's mild for him, and everyone else if we do indeed have the misfortune of getting it as well. I'm honestly just shocked that it's taken ~2.5 years at this point. 

• Like 3

The Boston University strain just taught everyone how to make a bioweapon. Why they would do this I don't know. I am at a loss as to why they would do this and publicize it. What the +++++ is going on at Boston University?

I hope it's a hoax.

On 10/17/2022 at 8:24 PM, CV147 said:

The Boston University strain just taught everyone how to make a bioweapon. Why they would do this I don't know. I am at a loss as to why they would do this and publicize it. What the +++++ is going on at Boston University?

I hope it's a hoax.

They were studying the spike protein from omicron and its role in infection. Still not peer reviewed but here’s the paper:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.10.13.512134v1.full

Sounds like a lot of less-reputable ‘news’ sources twisted that to say the researchers made a more deadly virus, which they didn’t. It was actually less deadly to the mice than the original strain. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:30 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

They were studying the spike protein from omicron and its role in infection. Still not peer reviewed but here’s the paper:

Sounds like a lot of less-reputable ‘news’ sources twisted that to say the researchers made a more deadly virus, which they didn’t. It was actually less deadly to the mice than the original strain. 

Yeah the conspiracy dolts have been all over this. 

On 10/18/2022 at 11:46 AM, bornontheblue said:

That test was for a specific point in time. 

Everybody has had covid by now, unless you live in isolation in a Himalayan cave. 

I'll push back on this. From Day One, my wife and I have been the insulation to protect both my parents - on their late 70s, one with diabetes, the other is immunocompromised - as well as my now-centenarian grandparent.

If either of us lived in isolation, than sure, I would assume it was likely one of us had contracted it but was simply asymptomatic, just as half of people who contract it are.

However, with five people in our bubble, had either my wife or I contracted it, the probability all five of us - three of whom are at very high risk for severe complications - all being asymptomatic is less than it would be if all five of us were healthy, which would be 3.125%.

Thus, probabilistically-speaking, it is a near-mathematical certainty that we are yet to get our COVID cherry popped. :shrug:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 10/17/2022 at 9:30 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

On 10/18/2022 at 8:56 AM, bornontheblue said:

Yeah the conspiracy dolts have been all over this. 

I didn't read the whole paper, but from what I picked up in the intro, it does indeed sound like they made a more deadly virus, as they made a chimera recombinant strain that incorporated the Yermomicron spike protein into the legacy ancestral strain (that had a greater clinical severity than Yermomicron). From the paper:

We generated chimeric recombinant SARS-CoV-2 encoding the S gene of Omicron in the backbone of an ancestral SARS-CoV-2 isolate and compared this virus with the naturally circulating Omicron variant. The Omicron S-bearing virus robustly escapes vaccine-induced humoral immunity, mainly due to mutations in the receptor-binding motif (RBM), yet unlike naturally occurring Omicron, efficiently replicates in cell lines and primary-like distal lung cells. In K18-hACE2 mice, while Omicron causes mild, non-fatal infection, the Omicron S-carrying virus inflicts severe disease with a mortality rate of 80%. This indicates that while the vaccine escape of Omicron is defined by mutations in S, major determinants of viral pathogenicity reside outside of S.

Like I said, I didn't read beyond the intro (no time with my NLCS pregame about to start :)), but if someone can post a spoiler in this general direction I'd be much obliged.

Anyway, I'm sure someone (or someones) has already considered this alteration if not already attempted it. 

On 10/18/2022 at 3:58 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

I didn't read the whole paper, but from what I picked up in the intro, it does indeed sound like they made a more deadly virus, as they made a chimera recombinant strain that incorporated the Yermomicron spike protein into the legacy ancestral strain (that had a greater clinical severity than Yermomicron). From the paper:

Like I said, I didn't read beyond the intro (no time with my NLCS pregame about to start :)), but if someone can post a spoiler in this general direction I'd be much obliged.

Anyway, I'm sure someone (or someones) has already considered this alteration if not already attempted it. 

original SARS-CoV-2 kills 100% of these mice.

Omicron kills 0% of these mice.

They took the spike protein from SARS-CoV-2 and put it on Omicron - that new virus killed 80% of these mice.  So less deadly than original virus, but more deadly than omicron.  This type of research will help design the next generation of vaccines. 

Since SARS-CoV-2 causes fatal infection in K18-hACE2 mice3,40,41, we leveraged this situation to compare the animal survival after viral infection. In agreement with the results of body-weight loss and clinical score, WT and Omi-S caused mortality rates of 100% (6/6) and 80% (8/10), respectively. In contrast, all animals infected with Omicron survived (Fig. 3c).

The lab is one of 10 BSL4 research labs in the USA with extensive security.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emerging_Infectious_Diseases_Laboratories

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 10/18/2022 at 4:15 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

They took the spike protein from SARS-CoV-2 and put it on Omicron - that new virus killed 80% of these mice.  So less deadly than original virus, but more deadly than omicron.  This type of research will help design the next generation of vaccines. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emerging_Infectious_Diseases_Laboratories

Thank you kind sir. :cheers:

On 10/18/2022 at 5:15 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah, this research has not lead to any gain of function and was all done in a BSL4 lab.  Not even remotely similar to the wild disregard shown at the WIV in Wuhan, where gain of function research on corona viruses was absolutely taking place and in a BSL2 lab.

Only scandal here is misusing grant money it appears.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/10/19/covid-deaths-us-race/?fbclid=IwAR1lo8lGDniY3uMkw-7jhDAuqbhRs7bcqodAxw_s8EM7zF3QT7BHKmSkN6Q

The nature of the virus makes the elderly and people with underlying health conditions — including hypertension, diabetes and obesity, all of which beset Black people at higher rates and earlier in life than White people — particularly vulnerable to severe illness and death.

That wasn’t Skill.

The virus also attacks unvaccinated adults — who polls show are more likely to be Republicans — with a ferocity that puts them at a much higher risk of infection and death.

That was Skill.

He joined the choir of critics opposing vaccination requirements, his rants in front of the television eventually wearing on Hollie, who, even if she agreed, grew tired of listening and declared their home “covid-talk free.”

So, she said, Skill commiserated with like-minded people in Facebook groups and on Parler and Rumble, the largely unmoderated social networking platforms popular with conservatives.

“We’re Republicans, and 100 percent believe that it’s each individual’s choice — their freedom” when it comes to getting a coronavirus shot, Hollie said in January. “We decided to err on the side of not doing it and accept the consequences. And now, here we are in the middle of planning the funeral.”

image.png

image.png

image.png

On 10/18/2022 at 4:53 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

I'll push back on this. From Day One, my wife and I have been the insulation to protect both my parents - on their late 70s, one with diabetes, the other is immunocompromised - as well as my now-centenarian grandparent.

If either of us lived in isolation, than sure, I would assume it was likely one of us had contracted it but was simply asymptomatic, just as half of people who contract it are.

However, with five people in our bubble, had either my wife or I contracted it, the probability all five of us - three of whom are at very high risk for severe complications - all being asymptomatic is less than it would be if all five of us were healthy, which would be 3.125%.

Thus, probabilistically-speaking, it is a near-mathematical certainty that we are yet to get our COVID cherry popped. :shrug:

Even if that is true, and your group are Covid virgins,  there is a 100% chance that you will all get some variant of the virus.