bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

My 80 year old brother in law just got Covid. Doesn’t know how it happened. He’s rarely around people, vaccinated including two boosters, and wears a mask and social distances whenever he’s out.

He’s developed a cough and is very tired but otherwise ok. He had afib problems with his lungs before he got the virus. With these new variants it doesn’t appear you have any protection no matter what you do. 

On 5/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, soupslam1 said:

My 80 year old brother in law just got Covid. Doesn’t know how it happened. He’s rarely around people, vaccinated including two boosters, and wears a mask and social distances whenever he’s out.

He’s developed a cough and is very tired but otherwise ok. He had afib problems with his lungs before he got the virus. With these new variants it doesn’t appear you have any protection no matter what you do. 

How long after he got his last booster did he become infected just out of curiosity?  

On 5/12/2022 at 10:12 PM, soupslam1 said:

I pray for a speedy recovery. At that age and with those underlying issues, that's scary stuff.

• Like 2

Evidently not a whole lot of concern. 

https://katu.com/amp/news/nation-world/first-year-of-pandemic-saw-more-deaths-from-alcohol-than-covid-study-finds

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/more-americans-65-and-under-died-from-alcohol-related-causes-than-covid-19-in-2020-study-finds/

The NYT also has an article but you need a subscription to read it. 

Where is America at when you throw drugs into the mix? 

Eric Clapton, who last summer declared that he reserved the right to cancel performances at venues where audience members were required to show proof of Covid vaccination, has indeed canceled two shows, but for another reason: Clapton just tested positive for the coronavirus.

The announcement of the show cancelations in Zurich and Milan was made on Clapton’s official Facebook page last night.

“Eric Clapton is unfortunately suffering from Covid having tested positive shortly after the second concert at the Royal Albert Hall,” the post reads.  He has been told by his medical advisors that if he were to resume traveling and performing too soon, it could substantially delay his full recovery. Eric is also anxious to avoid passing on any infection to any of his band, crew, Promoters, their staff and of course the fans.”

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/17/2022 at 8:41 PM, SharkTanked said:

Ain't that the shit? Fake news or real?

Depends...

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:42 AM, alum93 said:

How long after he got his last booster did he become infected just out of curiosity?  

Not exactly sure, but probably in the last two months as he got his first booster about 8 months ago when my wife and I got ours. 

On 5/20/2022 at 4:50 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Well I'm dispensing a lot of paxlovid rxs last couple days. My gf also said 70% of her patients today had positive covid tests. Symptoms mostly are just a worse common cold, but fingers crossed...

Any patients get the Paxalovid boomerang? 

On 5/20/2022 at 6:18 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Well I've only recently started dispensing the medication this week. How long after is the "boomerang" supposably take effect?

I’ve only read about anecdotes.  A few days after completing the 5-day course rebound of symptoms is what I’ve seen.  You companion w/ritonavir?

On 5/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, grandjean87 said:

I’ve only read about anecdotes.  A few days after completing the 5-day course rebound of symptoms is what I’ve seen.  You companion w/ritonavir?

Interesting. I'll keep an eye out. Because it's experimental, I have very strict requirements in order to dispense it. If a provider tries anything "off-label", I'm required to deny filling the Rx.

It's given only this way right now, with a little bit lower dose for patients with kidney insufficiency:

20220520_183507.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Well I'm dispensing a lot of paxlovid rxs last couple days. My gf also said 70% of her patients today had positive covid tests. Symptoms mostly are just a worse common cold, but fingers crossed...

70% is a big number

On 5/20/2022 at 7:07 PM, Stealthlobo said:

When I talked to her she had only seen  approx 20 patients, she said 14 were covid positive though.

Vaxxed or unvaxxed ? Just curious if the vaxxed have sx bad enough to come to the ER. I’ve been picking up way more influenza than Covid recently. Or if this is a local thing.

On 5/22/2022 at 10:40 AM, NMpackalum said:

Vaxxed or unvaxxed ? Just curious if the vaxxed have sx bad enough to come to the ER. I’ve been picking up way more influenza than Covid recently. Or if this is a local thing.

She says it's pretty mixed, but if they are vaccinated, they have not received a mixture. But you also have to remember this is an urban ER, and most patients are whiney with minimal symptoms. Most just feel meh, take a at home covid test that shows up positive, then make a bee-line to the ER.