bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

6 hours ago, Orygun said:

Ok, but we DO need everyone vaxxed. This is undisputed science.  Do you disagree with vaccine science and it’s impact on the pandemic?

Science doesn't determine what we need as a society. In the response where you suggested I was anti-vax, the post you responded to stated the vaccine "offers substantial protection against severe illness and death" which means we can move on whether everyone gets vaxxed or not

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Last week or two weeks ago when they started to see less Omicron in waste water, the people working on that were saying probably in the next week or two would start to see the numbers slowly start to come down. 

But his waste water thing, is a thing of the future?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

There was a story i was reading last night where a doctor was saying that the next variant could be more contiagous than what we have seen from Omicron but they say the key is how potent it is. 

I think i was reading a story from Britain, will try to find it, where they were saying because it so closely resembles Omicron that it is being missed as something different when tests are done where doctors are just putting down Omicron without looking at the whole thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Last week or two weeks ago when they started to see less Omicron in waste water, the people working on that were saying probably in the next week or two would start to see the numbers slowly start to come down. 

But his waste water thing, is a thing of the future?

They started monitoring the wastewater flow for virus loads at the UCSD campus early in the pandemic. At least here it’s now being done regionally. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

9 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

There was a story i was reading last night where a doctor was saying that the next variant could be more contiagous than what we have seen from Omicron but they say the key is how potent it is. 

I think i was reading a story from Britain, will try to find it, where they were saying because it so closely resembles Omicron that it is being missed as something different when tests are done where doctors are just putting down Omicron without looking at the whole thing.

Routine tests conducted by doctors can’t identify virus strains. It requires genetic sequencing. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

c1c329d2-82d4-4303-ad8c-d4978a1149ce_750

No one is asking you to wear your low IQ ID...

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I was reading an antivax handout in the waiting area of a detail shop yesterday. It's crazy the stuff that's out there. It was professional looking and several pages long about scientific evidence that millions of people have died from Covid vaccines and therapeutics. Amazing. Lucky for them that there are people to take care of them when they get sick. Seriously, why would you come to the hospital if you think you're going to die from the treatment.

15 minutes ago, Bob said:

hmm wonder why all these people are wearing masks? hmmm. Could have something to do with bacteria, which covid isn't

Bob Cry, the Anti-Science Guy. :waiting:

From 2006:

Results: The results indicate that the penetration of virions through the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)-certified N95 respirators can exceed an expected level of 5%. As anticipated, the tested surgical masks showed a much higher particle penetration because they are known to be less efficient than the N95 respirators. The 2 surgical masks, which originated from the same manufacturer, showed tremendously different penetration levels of the MS2 virions: 20.5% and 84.5%, respectively, at an inhalation flow rate of 85 L/min."

Link

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

45 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Bob Cry, the Anti-Science Guy. :waiting:

From 2006:

Link

It's interesting how Covid has changed even physician behavior on masks.  I wear one of those kn95 masks in the office and wherever they are required. I feel unprotected now wearing a regular surgical mask because they fit so much more loosely. I have partners who wear a regular n95 underneath their surgical masks in surgery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

It's interesting how Covid has changed even physician behavior on masks.  I wear one of those kn95 masks in the office and wherever they are required. I feel unprotected now wearing a regular surgical mask because they fit so much more loosely. I have partners who wear a regular n95 underneath their surgical masks in surgery.

That's been our standard load out for much of the pandemic.

I would also argue process is every bit as important as equipment. We ride our N95s until something breaks (usually either a nose bar or elastic strap) but have a strict protocol governing their use - never pull the mask over your head (pull the straps instead), always use hand sanitizer immediately before putting the mask on or taking it off, wash face before going somewhere where a mask will be worn, store them in sealed ziplock bags in the car to protect against contamination, etc. And I'm always clean shaven if I'm going to be wearing a mask.

Details matter.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

Ironically, maybe this probably helps DeSantis in his quest for ‘24?  @scounty this is the type of stuff that leaves me SMH on the states vs. federal battles.  It’s beyond stupid. On top of that governor’s anti-vax virtue signaling and his steal the steal posturing, I hope you find a better guy to back. 

Haven't followed it that closely. Just what I see and hear from time to time. He isn't anti vax, as his initial rollout of the vax was specifically targeted to those in the targeted age range that were at high risk in a state with a large retiree population. He's specifically anti vax mandate. What is the initial reporting on the vaccines and how it deals with Omni? I've seen that Israel has numbers through the roof and that the vax may not work on Omni either? I don't know, the science aspect of it is way outside my ability to understand. Too much info out there going either way. Personally, I just avoid large crowds and hope I don't catch it as mitigation efforts seem to be useless at this point.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2022/01/24/florida-officials-fume-at-biden-for-limiting-monoclonal-antibody-use/

I'm pretty set on DeSantis unless a non politician I like runs. Just as long as Trump doesn't, which I'm not confident in.

What pisses me off the most about this entire ordeal, outside of the fact I lost 5 friends from Delta, is that the Chinese government will just wash their hands of it and call it good because they know they run the world economy to a large degree and nobody will push back on them. Particularly if it was lab generated, which Faucis own e mails early on might suggest they knew all along.

• Confused 1