bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

Pfizer and BioNTech have started clinical trials on an Omicron vaccine with 1,400 volunteers with Pfizer saying the expect it to be ready for general public in March.

Covid: Pfizer and BioNTech launch clinical study of vaccine targeting omicron (cnbc.com)

Also there are reports there are not one but two sub variants with Omicron right now which are still being studied 

4 hours ago, AztecAlien said:

I speak, read and write English just fine Mr. overuse of ellipsis and lol guy...lol. And you're probably the last person who should be criticizing someone's ability to speak or read English...lol. Also, this is entirely different English than your other post...lol. I stated that I am in agreement with SOME of the things Maher is saying...lol. Nevertheless, I only bash people who deserve it regardless of their political preference or affiliation...lol. Now buzz off...lol.  

ok boomer...lol

3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Do you write English?

no i type it...lol

11 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Looks like my my time has come. I have commenced a heavy regimen of horse tranquilizers. If my takes seem unusually strange in the next few days, just remember I was a pretty weird guy before Covid brain.

Take care Lawlor!

• Like 3

CNN: During Omicron, disease severity appears to be lower than during other periods of high transmission, according to CDC study.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/health/omicron-milder-disease-cdc/index.html

Looks like we dont need all the hand wringing and qualifying anymore whenever someone points out that omicron is less severe in terms.of illness. 

I think (read: hope) one upside of this variant is that enough people will get it and basically have a cold that there will be a break in the terror many associate with it and there will be more of an appetite for people.tondtart being more afraid of many of the restrictions than covid itself.

Will there be a study by the CDC that quantifies the impact those restrictions had during the surge? How many of those many many ER visits were people who couldn't get rapid tests wanting a test, or who tested positive but basically had a moderate cold.or mild flu in terms of symptoms?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

If that’s the case I’m gonna milk it so I can watch the in peace and quiet.

12 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Here’s to a speedy recovery. My prediction is you’ll start feeling better before the Bengals punch their ticket to the Super Bowl. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY7UpcIlBXK/?utm_medium=copy_link

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

ha ha. Sure, buddy

So, we agree. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

CNN: During Omicron, disease severity appears to be lower than during other periods of high transmission, according to CDC study.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/health/omicron-milder-disease-cdc/index.html

Looks like we dont need all the hand wringing and qualifying anymore whenever someone points out that omicron is less severe in terms.of illness. 

I think (read: hope) one upside of this variant is that enough people will get it and basically have a cold that there will be a break in the terror many associate with it and there will be more of an appetite for people.tondtart being more afraid of many of the restrictions than covid itself.

Will there be a study by the CDC that quantifies the impact those restrictions had during the surge? How many of those many many ER visits were people who couldn't get rapid tests wanting a test, or who tested positive but basically had a moderate cold.or mild flu in terms of symptoms?

When you say “restrictions”, what are you referring to outside of college campuses? The indoor mask stuff? Masks at k-12 schools? 

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

When you say “restrictions”, what are you referring to outside of college campuses? The indoor mask stuff? Masks at k-12 schools? 

Well, I work on a college campus and have a preschool age child so those are the ones that matter most at the moment to me. His preschool closed for two weeks after a bunch of kids got it (all mild, all of their families got it with mild symptoms too). I don't have a problem with that one closure, but now they are talking about a requirement than any of the kids gets above a 99 temperature, who is vaccinated, and who is not positive for covid, stays home for a minimum of 5 days. There are also additional restrictions for unvaxxed kids. These will be the most severe restrictions of the pandemic at this preschool, which has been levelheaded thus far without any issues until this one omicron breakout. So my educated guess is that they're now implementing the strictest rules by the state/CDC for one or more of a handful of reasons. That's bonkers, especially at this point. 

But the quarantine requirements need to be revised or even potentially removed sooner than later to reflect the lower level of severity. Because much (not all, and it is hard to quantify, but it was MUCH) of the omicron crisis has had to do with staffing shortages, lack of tests, and people with mild and moderate symptoms overwhelming hospitals to get tested or after positive tests. And that is all related to a 10-day quarantine period, which reflects the characteristics of the virus pre-vaccine. 

And yet, countdown to people saying that we need to keep our guard up lest the we get another variant that is more severe. 

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

And yet, countdown to people saying that we need to keep our guard up lest the we get another variant that is more severe. 

No, we just need everyone vaccinated.  The scotus decision gutting OSHA’s power certainly didn’t help.  

1 minute ago, Orygun said:

No, we just need everyone vaccinated.  The scotus decision gutting OSHA’s power certainly didn’t help.  

No we don't. The vaccine still offers substantial protection against severe illness and death. 

Field hospitals for the unvaxxed, COVID boosters in flu shots. The rest of us can get sniffles when we get COVID. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Well, I work on a college campus and have a preschool age child so those are the ones that matter most at the moment to me. His preschool closed for two weeks after a bunch of kids got it (all mild, all of their families got it with mild symptoms too). I don't have a problem with that one closure, but now they are talking about a requirement than any of the kids gets above a 99 temperature, who is vaccinated, and who is not positive for covid, stays home for a minimum of 5 days. There are also additional restrictions for unvaxxed kids. These will be the most severe restrictions of the pandemic at this preschool, which has been levelheaded thus far without any issues until this one omicron breakout. So my educated guess is that they're now implementing the strictest rules by the state/CDC for one or more of a handful of reasons. That's bonkers, especially at this point. 

But the quarantine requirements need to be revised or even potentially removed sooner than later to reflect the lower level of severity. Because much (not all, and it is hard to quantify, but it was MUCH) of the omicron crisis has had to do with staffing shortages, lack of tests, and people with mild and moderate symptoms overwhelming hospitals to get tested or after positive tests. And that is all related to a 10-day quarantine period, which reflects the characteristics of the virus pre-vaccine. 

Well I have a kid in kindergarten, so this stuff is top of mind to me as well. Personally I think a reasonable end-game for quarantines until COVID is officially endemic, when it comes to kids, is 3 days from the onset of symptoms. And for a fever I would want it to be over 100.4 before it’s considered a symptom. No symptoms, no quarantine. But I also support keeping masks on (indoors only) through the end of this school year.

11 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well I have a kid in kindergarten, so this stuff is top of mind to me as well. Personally I think a reasonable end-game for quarantines until COVID is officially endemic, when it comes to kids, is 3 days from the onset of symptoms. And for a fever I would want it to be over 100.4 before it’s considered a symptom. No symptoms, no quarantine. But I also support keeping masks on (indoors only) through the end of this school year.

I don't have a problem with those assuming they go away when endemic. And while I don't think masks are the devil, I do want to see a clear commitment at schools and other institutions with children that at some point, even when COVID is still here, masks are done. They do have negative impacts on learning and on children's social development. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I don't have a problem with those assuming they go away when endemic. And while I don't think masks are the devil, I do want to see a clear commitment at schools and other institutions with children that at some point, even when COVID is still here, masks are done. They do have negative impacts on learning and on children's social development. 

I imagine the appetite for any COVID protocols will be gone by the time the next school year comes around in August.

Also, I believe a school calling a parent to pick up an obviously sick child will soon be viewed as a school making a “political statement”, and parents will now be outraged at school employees telling them what to do with their own children.