bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Did they know it would end up like the flu vaccine? The vaccines were developed and tested before the alpha and beta variants became widespread, let alone delta and omicron. In some alternate reality where the mutations were more minor maybe the vaccine does end up being more of a thing where you get it and it’s over? I suppose they could have been better about saying, “this all has an asterisk and a variant can quickly change how effective the vaccines are”, but I feel like the threat of mutations was talked about by public health officials pretty early on. 

I agree there was talk early on about the initial virus and the worry of mutations.  The current SARS-CoV-2 was labeled "Novel" which means it had never before been seen in humans.  Corona Viruses themselves are not new.  They've been around for a long time so scientists have had experience in studying them and they have seen mutations before.  Until we get more people vaccinated and stop the spread we will see new strains/mutations.  The original FDA approved Covid vaccines help fight off the original strains of SARS-CoV-2 but now Moderna and Pfizer are making a vaccine that will work on Delta and Omicron.  But by then another strain will show up.  And, no matter how good we may get in the U.S. in making the vaccines available other countries are struggling to get any vaccine.  That's why we keep seeing variants start in other countries.  We Americans are too global.  We travel everywhere and there is just no way to stop something new from coming in.

And, getting the Flu Vaccine doesn't mean that you won't get the Flu.  Every year scientists "make their best guess" as to what types of Flu strains we will see.  Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they don't.  

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

Im vaxxed and boosted, and was in close proximity with 3 infected people with one routinely  coughing and sneezing in my face at a distance of 6-12 inches, and have tested negative 6 days straight. I’m not confident horse dewormer would have had the same effect.

Sheep!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

36 minutes ago, Bob said:

Clear messaging? lmfao. How much more clear could Fauci, CDC, Biden, Pfizer have been when they said you will not get sick, will not pass the virus along, these vaccines are great against variants, etc. They way oversold... or lied. you pick. And then vaccine mandates, vax passports and all the authoritarian bullshit was based on this false premise.

You still pretend there’s been this massive government conspiracy to mildly inconvenience you with wearing a mask in crowded spaces. And that makes it hard to have an honest discussion about these things, because I know you aren’t stupid enough to believe that. 

Either be for or against the lies Bob, don’t play both sides. You can’t praise Trump and disavow Fauci for his supposed lies at the same time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

There has never been an anti-vax industrial complex like this one before. 

All my criticism of the CDC and other “official” voices aside, we saw hesitant people respond to new information and events by getting vaccinated.  What impacted the most were the large numbers of anti-vaxxers and those who mirrored their behavior including for kids.

Image share in social media by a woman with a 5 year old and one in the oven.  She really believes this crap. Like it’s real. She’s joined by millions:

image.png.2fc0575b245cda76ce9e38c9bd5d3816.png . 

The anti-vax movement had been growing well before Covid came around so this isn't a new thing, but what we saw was CDC and other talking heads scaring the shit out of people which lead to people getting vaccinated more than I think they would have at the start. Not with information or anything else because they really didn't have any so it was let's scare the shit out of people. There were quite a few people that wanted to wait and see how the vaccines would go and any side effects which is normal. 

But the whole anti-vax movement was going well before Covid was even thought of

4 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

There has never been an anti-vax industrial complex like this one before. 

All my criticism of the CDC and other “official” voices aside, we saw hesitant people respond to new information and events by getting vaccinated.  What impacted the most were the large numbers of anti-vaxxers and those who mirrored their behavior including for kids.

Image share in social media by a woman with a 5 year old and one in the oven.  She really believes this crap. Like it’s real. She’s joined by millions:

image.png.2fc0575b245cda76ce9e38c9bd5d3816.png . 

Also, are you aware of the origin of that image? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Did they know it would end up like the flu vaccine? The vaccines were developed and tested before the alpha and beta variants became widespread, let alone delta and omicron. In some alternate reality where the mutations were more minor maybe the vaccine does end up being more of a thing where you get it and it’s over? I suppose they could have been better about saying, “this all has an asterisk and a variant can quickly change how effective the vaccines are”, but I feel like the threat of mutations was talked about by public health officials pretty early on. 

watching a lot of shows the only time they talked about mutations was saying the mutations were so small the vaccine would still work because most of the mutations didn't effect the vaccine and that was pretty much it. But most of what was going on that i saw on the news channels and reading stories was once the vaccines are out and people start getting vaccinated Covid would pretty much not be a problem anymore. 

But i also believe if there was a message at the beginning you may still get Covid but this is why we are doing it, it may have helped steer things a different way a bit

3 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Im vaxxed and boosted, and was in close proximity with 3 infected people including one who routinely coughed and sneezed in my face at a distance of 6-12 inches, and have tested negative 6 days straight. I’m not confident horse dewormer would have had the same effect.

And that is good news, there are also people who have been vaxxed and booster and have tested positive as well. Every body is a little bit different, viruses work different, vacicine, medicine etc all work a little different as well. I mean that is what the confusing part for our bodies is nothing is 100% certain with how things react. But I am glad to hear you and your family are doing better as well.

As for horse dewormer stopping Covid, yea not sure on that. Just know a couple of people now who were given it for a short time and helped their symptoms but only a small dose prescribed by a doctor. 

3 hours ago, SpaceForced said:

I agree there was talk early on about the initial virus and the worry of mutations.  The current SARS-CoV-2 was labeled "Novel" which means it had never before been seen in humans.  Corona Viruses themselves are not new.  They've been around for a long time so scientists have had experience in studying them and they have seen mutations before.  Until we get more people vaccinated and stop the spread we will see new strains/mutations.  The original FDA approved Covid vaccines help fight off the original strains of SARS-CoV-2 but now Moderna and Pfizer are making a vaccine that will work on Delta and Omicron.  But by then another strain will show up.  And, no matter how good we may get in the U.S. in making the vaccines available other countries are struggling to get any vaccine.  That's why we keep seeing variants start in other countries.  We Americans are too global.  We travel everywhere and there is just no way to stop something new from coming in.

And, getting the Flu Vaccine doesn't mean that you won't get the Flu.  Every year scientists "make their best guess" as to what types of Flu strains we will see.  Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they don't.  

And now the Flu is starting to go around at the same time which I people at work are starting to get and testing for Covid just to be safe

21 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

The anti-vax movement had been growing well before Covid came around so this isn't a new thing, but what we saw was CDC and other talking heads scaring the shit out of people which lead to people getting vaccinated more than I think they would have at the start. Not with information or anything else because they really didn't have any so it was let's scare the shit out of people. There were quite a few people that wanted to wait and see how the vaccines would go and any side effects which is normal. 

But the whole anti-vax movement was going well before Covid was even thought of

I live in Idaho. People have been moving here for “medical freedom” for a good while. The Covid anti-vax phenomenon is fundamentally different that what was going on before. Not even close to the same.  Just look at child vaccination rates pre-Covid.  Look at the still high % of unvaxxed or not fully vaxxed,  whichever way that is construed, despite the mountain of evidence of protection against severe disease and death. 

I think all the dead bodies and debilitation have been more than enough justification for a little scare so that would be about the last thing for which I’d criticize the CDC.  

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Not from the origin off the top of my head. I’ve seen many more of the same vein. 

Comes from the far right recruiting people for Jan 6th insurrection. 

On Copium Memes and Media Martyrdom | by Jamie Cohen | Medium

• Cheers 1
  • Facepalm 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Comes from the far right recruiting people for Jan 6th insurrection. 

On Copium Memes and Media Martyrdom | by Jamie Cohen | Medium

So....Trump's supporters are lizards?

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Who’s the froggy guy?

Based on Pepe. Representation of far right guys (self identification)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

until we committed seppuku, just like they wanted. Remember the propaganda videos (how could you forget). People spontaneously dropping like flies from covid. People getting welded inside their apts?

Yeah...seppuku is Japanese....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, HR_Poke said:

You know what they say....  People in glass houses sink ships.....

Is a bear Catholic?

Does the Pope shit in the woods?