bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

19 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

You compared to bee stings. Not the flu.

630 American Covid deaths in kids.

<30 by bee stings in kids.

The 2019-20 flu season saw 496 deaths in kids under 18.

The 2017-18 flu season (on of the worst recently) saw 526 deaths in kids under 18.

So Covid is comparable to the Flu for kids under 18.  I'll agree with that.  But it's still 20x more deadly than bee stings.

1 hour ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

You alluded to having mental health issues before, now you have just confirmed it. You literally proved my point earlier about leftists now loving big Pharma. This world has gone completely mad. 

don't use other posters heartfelt admissions against them. have fun being a shitstain in a week.

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Absolutely. Your opinion of me or what I write means absolutely nothing to me whatsoever. Literally nothing.

#notcaring

• Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I have addressed this so many times before, pay attention young Jedi. I am my own biggest fan.

I like your style.

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

You alluded to having mental health issues before, now you have just confirmed it. You literally proved my point earlier about leftists now loving big Pharma. This world has gone completely mad. 

I dont like your style anymore.

Also, please dont give any of my posts any thumbs up. It makes it less clear that I am giving my own posts a thumbs up. I want everyone to see that. 

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Vaccines working SO WELL! and a mask mandate to boot. Whew, so glad they have these measures in place to StOp ThE SpReAd!!!!

Vaccines do work well, Mr. Bob. Not interested in the mask debate . Here’s a repeat graphic. This is data that sadly mirrors the many dead I now know of now after the Delta wave hit SW Idaho.  Guys in their 40s and 50s.  Older folks, but not elderly.  Relatives of relatives, spouses of friends, siblings of friends, relatives of former students, etc.  It was a brutal late summer and fall here for the unvaxxed.

512A9DBA-8505-412C-88E6-6EAF709421A5.png.3f2234e2f918a875fc7a44a9d9b6cdee.png

3 hours ago, AztecSU said:

I didnt do that. But you must be pretty young or else you would be more familiar with kook lefties who are not that small a part of the party. You are in denial and you, like some on the right here, want the two side to be monoliths. 

Dude, you are completely missing the mark in terms of the point I am trying to make to you. 

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I dont like your style anymore.

Also, please dont give any of my posts any thumbs up. It makes it less clear that I am giving my own posts a thumbs up. I want everyone to see that. 

I don’t think you would ever have liked his style.  You two are about as different as two posters could be.  You are a deep social thinker prone to manifesto level posts w/originality.   Let’s just say Spy doesn’t do that.

Note:

@thespywhozaggedme and I are old message board “friends” from the Blue Turf Board.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Vaccines do work well, Mr. Bob. Not interested in the mask debate . Here’s a repeat graphic. This is data that sadly mirrors the many dead I now know of now after the Delta wave hit SW Idaho.  Guys in their 40s and 50s.  Older folks, but not elderly.  Relatives of relatives, spouses of friends, siblings of friends, relatives of former students, etc.  It was a brutal late summer and fall here for the unvaxxed.

512A9DBA-8505-412C-88E6-6EAF709421A5.png.3f2234e2f918a875fc7a44a9d9b6cdee.png

You can be damn sure Bob won’t address this.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Not sure I agree with all the conclusions here. For instance, this doesn’t fully explain why countries with a stronger safety net are seeing more anti-vax sentiment, too. Regardless, I found this to be an interesting essay…

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Not sure I agree with all the conclusions here. For instance, this doesn’t fully explain why countries with a stronger safety net are seeing more anti-vax sentiment, too. Regardless, I found this to be an interesting essay…

It's a strange brew that I can't quite get a handle on.  Suicide rates in the USA are up well from 6 decades back when virtually everyone got the polio vax.  Durkheim's anomie, I don't think explains much, but maybe on the margin?  It's probably just the root sin of pride for most.

54 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

It's a strange brew that I can't quite get a handle on.  Suicide rates in the USA are up well from 6 decades back when virtually everyone got the polio vax.  Durkheim's anomie, I don't think explains much, but maybe on the margin?  It's probably just the root sin of pride for most.

Probably explains at least some, as you say. I don’t know if you can just boil it down to pride. Are people more prideful now than they were in the 1950s? And if they are, why? Are we back to Durkheim’s anomie?

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

My wife and I had a lengthy discussion about this very thing yesterday. Tech advancements, information availability, and other resultant factors have changed our culture and lifestyles to be more isolated. Now we're not even going in to a work place anymore. People are losing connections to the systems that allow the world to go 'round so we take their functioning for granted. So much more...

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Probably explains at least some, as you say. I don’t know if you can just boil it down to pride. Are people more prideful now than they were in the 1950s? And if they are, why? Are we back to Durkheim’s anomie?

I was mostly responding to the article which I read once and quickly possibly missing some deeper points. 

I know a lot of non-vaxxers for Covid. They are an eclectic group.  A couple, limited examples:

One young woman in her mid-20s is a married mom.  She has a good business, but is not highly educated.  HS diploma from an alternative HS. Got pregnant as a teen using meth which made her horny and promiscuous, but she was a young victim of sexual abuse well before. She’s enamored with the Q promotions of Save the Children. I think the anti-vaccine conspiracies ring something true to her. I know others similar.

Another mom in her late 30s is an anti-vax nurse from a conservative, Evangelical tribe.  She is Dunning-Kruger to the max as are others in her family. She thinks her knowledge is superior. That’s pride. 

Both think they know what they really don’t know. That’s a big problem and it comes in others forms regarding vaccination. You know all the political divide stuff. The article fleshed out the class divide w/an example or two. 

No, I don’t think anomie is an answer, but tenuous social cohesion and loss of communal responsibilities contribute.  I still can’t nail it down, but I see pride in that not knowing what you think you know thing that is pervasive.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

I was mostly responding to the article which I read once and quickly possibly missing some deeper points. 

I know a lot of non-vaxxers for Covid. They are an eclectic group.  A couple, limited examples:

One young woman in her mid-20s is a married mom.  She has a good business, but is not highly educated.  HS diploma from an alternative HS. Got pregnant as a teen using meth which made her horny and promiscuous, but she was a young victim of sexual abuse well before. She’s enamored with the Q promotions of Save the Children. I think the anti-vaccine conspiracies ring something true to her. I know others similar.

Another mom in her late 30s is an anti-vax nurse from a conservative, Evangelical tribe.  She is Dunning-Kruger to the max as are others in her family. She thinks her knowledge is superior. That’s pride. 

Both think they know what they really don’t know. That’s a big problem and it comes in others forms regarding vaccination. You know all the political divide stuff. The article fleshed out the class divide w/an example or two. 

No, I don’t think anomie is an answer, but tenuous social cohesion and loss of communal responsibilities contribute.  I still can’t nail it down, but I see pride in that not knowing what you think you know thing that is pervasive.  

Interesting. What frustrates me the most is seeing people previously apolitical that have morphed in to these hardcore partisans because COVID inconvenienced them. Like, “I used to not care about politics, but I found masks annoying, so now I am staunchly pro-anything Trump says”. Like my niece (through marriage) followed this progression EXACTLY. She’s even apparently called COVID the “China virus” online. I’m like, dude, YOU’RE FILIPINO. There are like 20 states you could visit where people would guess you were Chinese. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Interesting. What frustrates me the most is seeing people previously apolitical that have morphed in to these hardcore partisans because COVID inconvenienced them. Like, “I used to not care about politics, but I found masks annoying, so now I am staunchly pro-anything Trump says”. Like my niece (through marriage) followed this progression EXACTLY. She’s even apparently called COVID the “China virus” online. I’m like, dude, YOU’RE FILIPINO. There are like 20 states you could visit where people would guess you were Chinese. 

This old student of mine Mary Jane, who loved her Mary Jane, used to call this other student (a friend), a “chink”.  He was a Filipino.  I told her to get her ethnic slurs right, but she just kept calling her friend a chink. Lol.  Probably still in their mid-40s. 

Like the first example I mentioned, I think there is a lot of emotional undercurrent to the politicalization on Covid and the vaccines.  This time it’s personal. 

3 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

This old student of mine Mary Jane, who loved her Mary Jane, used to call this other student (a friend), a “chink”.  He was a Filipino.  I told her to get her ethnic slurs right, but she just kept calling her friend a chink. Lol.  Probably still in their mid-40s. 

Like the first example I mentioned, I think there is a lot of emotional undercurrent to the politicalization on Covid and the vaccines.  This time it’s personal. 

True story, that me and my friends still bring up occasionally. I moved up to SJ with 3 friends, so we all obviously hung out a lot. This one guy we met became kind of a member of our group. His cousin ended up moving to SJ from Atlanta. He’s a black guy too, so this isn’t me trying to make fun of ignorant rednecks. His first weekend here we all go to a party together, including my gf at the time (wife now) and a couple of her friends. I get a drink with him and am introducing myself and mention that I came her with my gf. He says, in his (especially at the time) thick accent “o yea, that Chinese chick you was with earlier”. Now, my gf’s friends literally were Chinese, so I’m like no she’s not Chinese. I point over to my gf and say, “THAT’S my gf”. He gives me this confused look and says, “yea, the Chinese chick”. At this point me and my friends (and his cousin) just start dying laughing because, I mean, cmon, Filipino people are really easy to tell apart from Chinese people. Especially considering my wife is on the darker side for a Filipina. We were telling him how obviously my gf looked different then her friends, and he literally is responding like The Office “it’s the same picture” meme. He became a very good friend of mine, and to this day when I hang out with him I occasionally refer to my wife as “that Chinese chick”. 

Not to mention it took him like a phuckin year for him to stop introducing me at parties as “The Messican one”. I’m half Puerto Rican and a quarter “Hispano” (from New Mexico), not Mexican at all. But he’s from, as Paulie from the Sopranos would say, Elvis Country, so I guess I can’t hold it against him haha. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2