bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

47 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

It’s scaring the shit out of the markets.  Too early to tell, but this could be where the lethality also takes a dip.  Or, not and that’s going to replicate the effects of the Delta wave. 

It's scaring the shit out of scientists too. We really should have been inocculating the 3rd world long before we were worried about giving boosters in Europe and the US.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

It's scaring the shit out of scientists too. We really should have been inocculating the 3rd world long before we were worried about giving boosters in Europe and the US.

Distribution, man.  I mean we have enough resources to feed, clothe, and provide basic housing, and better sanitation for the planet, but that hasn't happened.   Getting the globe vaccinated was always going to be a few years.  Hoping a couple or more new vaccines suitable for underdeveloped nations' distribution are ready by '22 (Novavax, ImmunityBio, others.) with decent efficacy against severe disease.  

2 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

It’s scaring the shit out of the markets.  Too early to tell, but this could be where the lethality also takes a dip.  Or, not and that’s going to replicate the effects of the Delta wave. 

Well, gas prices will come down if this holds.  Hope we see the mutation that weakens the virus.   That happens more than the other way around but not always.

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

But then Africa, despite a low vaccination rate, has seen lower covid numbers and is doing better than most.    

https://theconversation.com/the-impact-of-covid-19-has-been-lower-in-africa-we-explore-the-reasons-164955

• Haha 1

AP Story

"Early evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection compared to other highly transmissible variants, the WHO said. That means people who contracted COVID-19 and recovered could be subject to catching it again."

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-new-variant-southern-africa-33fa0983af6c9f961a186f4f4bb1147d

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Billings said:

AP Story

"Early evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection compared to other highly transmissible variants, the WHO said. That means people who contracted COVID-19 and recovered could be subject to catching it again."

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-new-variant-southern-africa-33fa0983af6c9f961a186f4f4bb1147d

Well let’s hope the increased transmissibility comes with lower risk for death/severe symptoms. If it does, this will be a net positive. Also, it’s good timing that the antiviral pills will be approved very soon. 

4 hours ago, Mano said:

The father of one of my son's friends died of covid on Wednesday. He was in his late 50's, very overweight and had other health issues in the past, yet refused to be vaccinated. It is tragic, he leaves behind 15 and 18 year old sons, their Mother had passed away several years ago. The crowd he runs with argued against vaccination due to the politics, but also were using the argument that getting the vaccination would be showing a lack of faith in God. I am deeply saddened for his kids.

sounds like the worlds collective iq improved overnite wednesday...lol

Big numbers of covid positives on 2 flights from South Africa to the Netherlands.  Yea this one is already in the US

https://indianewsrepublic.com/dozens-of-covid-19-cases-in-flight-from-south-africa-dutch-officials-say/558910/

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

Man, I hope the fears of this variant are Unrealized. If this variant is more deadly than Delta , society will not be able to handle it 

No evidence of deadlier.  It seems Delta had burned through South Africa so the O might not be as contagious as feared due to all those spike mutations.  

I think it’s just a short time to watch and see. We’ll know more soon, but I fully expect that those w/immunity via convalescent status and/or vaccination will have fair protection from severe disease even for Omicron. 

10 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

No evidence of deadlier.  It seems Delta had burned through South Africa so the O might not be as contagious as feared due to all those spike mutations.  

I think it’s just a short time to watch and see. We’ll know more soon, but I fully expect that those w/immunity via convalescent status and/or vaccination will have fair protection from severe disease even for Omicron. 

Gdam  I’m so tired of this virus @grandjean87

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Gdam  I’m so tired of this virus @grandjean87

I am, too. 

No surge in hospitalizations in South Africa is yet occurring.  A few well travelers have been identified so like the rest of the main strains, there will be a wide range of outcomes and most will be asymptomatic to mild. This may be the start of the endemic phase depending on how it goes and is eventually categorized. 

We now have more therapeutics, more convalescent patients, and plenty of vaccines (USA).  It’s too early to tell what Omicron will do, but I don’t think it’s going to be as deadly here as our Delta wave.  The global challenge is to get the less developed world immunized to high levels, get those newer vaccines out there, and have widespread distribution of effective therapeutics. Eventually, we’ll have a pan-coronavirus vaccine.

Back here in SW Idaho, we are who we are.   I just do my friendly thing to all I meet wherever.  Cast as much sunshine as I can.  

• Like 1