bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

Went up to the mountains over the weekend, and the local radio station up there (with its national fox broadcast) refers to the boosters as "so-called boosters."

• Facepalm 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:50 PM, gold-n-brown said:

Got my booster Friday as well along with my first shingles shot.  Both shoulders super sore.

Got those exact two shots Thursday late afternoon - Both shoulders were sore after for about 3 days but nothing other of note 

First ever shingles vac 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Not just the at risk are getting sick. Check the ICUs, the majority have a risk factor but there are plenty of reasonably healthy people are really sick and will die unnecessarily. 

Same thing as with the flu, pneumonia, etc.     Sometimes otherwise healthy people have heart attacks, too.    The fact is the risk to people without underlying conditions is extremely low.    Stop fear-mongering.

• OG R-Tard 1

21 minutes ago, x97 said:

Same thing as with the flu, pneumonia, etc.     Sometimes otherwise healthy people have heart attacks, too.    The fact is the risk to people without underlying conditions is extremely low.    Stop fear-mongering.

You gonna drop your car and homeowners insurance?

The risk of something happening is extremely low.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

28 minutes ago, x97 said:

If there was a vaccine for heart attacks, you can bet I'd be first in line. Again you're conflating. Not fear mongering at all. You do you. Timely but I've had 2 patients today tell me they've lost healthy unvaccinated siblings last month. They're are pretty bitter about the situation.

Let me know the next time we have Crisis standards of care for the hospital for flu or pneumonia or heart attacks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, x97 said:

Name last time we burned/buried our medical system resources with a flu or Heart attacks?  Fear mongering is a real thing here but so is being dismissive of the problem by always talking flu.  Covid basically killed a population equal to the city of Denver.  Sure the studies are not complete on the long haulers, but their numbers and problems are significant and many were perfectly healthy prior to covid.  They will be a drain on our medical system and in $$ spent for care for years.

• Like 2
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

6 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

If there was a vaccine for heart attacks, you can bet I'd be first in line. Again you're conflating. Not fear mongering at all. You do you. Timely but I've had 2 patients today tell me they've lost healthy unvaccinated siblings last month. They're are pretty bitter about the situation.

Let me know the next time we have Crisis standards of care for the hospital for flu or pneumonia or heart attacks.

Once again, we have facts and data....not random "bitter siblings".

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Billings said:

Name last time we burned/buried our medical system resources with a flu or Heart attacks?  Fear mongering is a real thing here but so is being dismissive of the problem by always talking flu.  Covid basically killed a population equal to the city of Denver.  Sure the studies are not complete on the long haulers, but their numbers and problems are significant and many were perfectly healthy prior to covid.  They will be a drain on our medical system and in $$ spent for care for years.

Here you go.....fear mongering.    Our medical system is not "buried" or anything close to that.     You fools have been saying this for 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 4
  • OG R-Tard 1

14 hours ago, x97 said:

Here you go.....fear mongering.    Our medical system is not "buried" or anything close to that.     You fools have been saying this for 2 years.

Ok you got me. I'm only wasting my time seeing all these patients in the hospital for some reason having to have tubes shoved down their throat to be able to breath, several who were healthy except pregnant. They'll be fine, it's just the flu. It's a myth that there are 60 federal and military nurses rotating through my hospital every 2 weeks because we don't have staff. It's just lazy of us not to schedule any surgery or outpatient procedures that might require hospitalizations. It's absolutely a lie that people are spending a day or more in the ER because we have no beds to admit them. It's just patient dumping when the 2 closest hospitals close down their labor delivery units and transfer their patients to us. And it's just the state government wanting to avoid malpractice lawsuits by declaring official Crisis Standards of Care because of insufficient staff to take care of the patients. Wait that last one was true.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Ok you got me. I'm only wasting my time seeing all these patients in the hospital for some reason having to have tubes shoved down their throat to be able to breath, several who were healthy except pregnant. They'll be fine, it's just the flu. It's a myth that there are 60 federal and military nurses rotating through my hospital every 2 weeks because we don't have staff. It's just lazy of us not to schedule any surgery or outpatient procedures that might require hospitalizations. It's absolutely a lie that people are spending a day or more in the ER because we have no beds to admit them. It's just patient dumping when the 2 closest hospitals close down their labor delivery units and transfer their patients to us. And it's just the state government wanting to avoid malpractice lawsuits by declaring official Crisis Standards of Care because of insufficient staff to take care of the patients. Wait that last one was true.

Don't bother feeding the troll. You have enough to worry about. I think we've read enough of his racist rants to know where he is coming from. Take care man. Sheesh. 

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Don't bother feeding the troll. You have enough to worry about. I think we've read enough of his racist rants to know where he is coming from. Take care man. Sheesh. 

I know.  But it's really crazy. I know more people with recent infections and reinfections this go around than a year ago. Eventually enough of the unvaxxed will get sick and have some natural immunity that it eventually burns out to be an endemic bug. Plenty of new treatments coming too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I know.  But it's really crazy. I know more people with recent infections and reinfections this go around than a year ago. Eventually enough of the unvaxxed will get sick and have some natural immunity that it eventually burns out to be an endemic bug. Plenty of new treatments coming too.

Yeah. I think the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter by the day, even as cases rise at the moment. Those new anti-virals will make a huge difference, I suspect. And for the reasons you mention I'm hopeful that this spike won't be as severe, at least in terms of hospitalizations and death, as what we saw over the summer or last winter.

I can't imagine being in health care and dealing with this day in and day out for nearly two years. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yeah. I think the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter by the day, even as cases rise at the moment. Those new anti-virals will make a huge difference, I suspect. And for the reasons you mention I'm hopeful that this spike won't be as severe, at least in terms of hospitalizations and death, as what we saw over the summer or last winter.

I can't imagine being in health care and dealing with this day in and day out for nearly two years. 

I count myself lucky that I'm not an intensivist or med/surg nurse or respiratory therapist. I know quite a few are having PTSD issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

I count myself lucky that I'm not an intensivist or med/surg nurse or respiratory therapist. I know quite a few are having PTSD issues.

No doubt. PTSD and burnout in that type of health care is one of the major issues we will have to confront on the back side of the pandemic. Not that it's the same. But in my wife's little corner of health care, dentistry, burnout is off the charts, too. They've had to take extraordinary steps to keep the office open — being that their job is literally to stick their faces in people's mouths and create aerosols. Massive shortage of dental assistants and hygienists now, with many choosing to either retire early or change careers. I can only imagine it is orders of magnitude worse for those dealing directly with Covid patients.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

No doubt. PTSD and burnout in that type of health care is one of the major issues we will have to confront on the back side of the pandemic. Not that it's the same. But in my wife's little corner of health care, dentistry, burnout is off the charts, too. They've had to take extraordinary steps to keep the office open — being that their job is literally to stick their faces in people's mouths and create aerosols. Massive shortage in and dental assistants and hygienists now, with many choosing to either retire early or change careers. I can only imagine it is orders of magnitude worse for those dealing directly with Covid patients.

I wouldn't discount it. I was getting my teeth cleaned the other day and I was thinking, this must suck for them. Anxiety and fear of catching it is bad enough for doctors/nurses much less aerosolizing oral secretions as part of the job.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I wouldn't discount it. I was getting my teeth cleaned the other day and I was thinking, this must suck for them. Anxiety and fear of catching it is bad enough for doctors/nurses much less aerosolizing oral secretions as part of the job.

My MIL actually got COVID from going to a dentist appointment. She had a filling come loose and didn't have much of a choice, and then ended up getting COVID and accidentally spreading it to my BIL as well. 

54 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Outside of PTSD issues a lot of them are moving to traveling nurses.  They are making 200K+ going to covid hotspots.  My wifes hospital group just banned internal letters of recommendation for nurses wanting to become traveling nurses.  Not sure thats the best way to go about retention but they feel it's necessary.  Also gave all their nursing staff a $15k bonus if they sign long term contracts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

hope they're doing ok.

Oh yeah, that was in Jan/Feb if I'm remembering right. They've also both been vaccinated since then. We were worried about my MIL when when got it because she's a Type 1 diabetic, but she came though it okay fortunately.