bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Will you get a booster every six months for the rest of your life?

If need be.  I get a flu shot every year, too (got that today, too).  So what.  It's only a big deal if you make it one.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

42 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Interesting bit about both positive and negative effects of residual Neanderthal DNA on Covid.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/neanderthal-genes-may-influence-covid-19-severity

Neanderthals.

Good God...the potential smartass comments...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, grandjean87 said:

Not good for now:

Can expected news really be bad news? This is going to be a seasonal virus. People can accept that and act accordingly (got my booster last week) or go away, IMO. If this winter we see the same sequence of coverage and reaction as we did with the first surge, I'm gonna flip my lid.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

28 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Can expected news really be bad news? This is going to be a seasonal virus. People can accept that and act accordingly (got my booster last week) or go away, IMO. If this winter we see the same sequence of coverage and reaction as we did with the first surge, I'm gonna flip my lid.

I don’t know about that expected thing.  And, I don’t think Topol’s tweet was well nuanced.   There was and is hope and positing (by some smart folks) that the combination of vaccination levels, including kids albeit lower, and convalescent immunities with a large plurality of the nation having recovered from prior infection that the winter surge would be fractional to the ‘20-‘21 Winter.  The Delta wave still looks more regional with many states trending down while growing in some of the more populated parts of the country.

I still think this winter will be muted compared to the last.  The roll out of the antivirals plus 3rd doses (2nd for JNJ) should make a big difference on what matters (serious cases and mortalities).

I’m in Idaho policy and behaviors are what they will be no matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandjean87 said:

I don’t know about that expected thing.  And, I don’t think Topol’s tweet was well nuanced.   There was and is hope and positing (by some smart folks) that the combination of vaccination levels, including kids albeit lower, and convalescent immunities with a large plurality of the nation having recovered from prior infection that the winter surge would be fractional to the ‘20-‘21 Winter.  The Delta wave still looks more regional with many states trending down while growing in some of the more populated parts of the country.

I still think this winter will be muted compared to the last.  The roll out of the antivirals plus 3rd doses (2nd for JNJ) should make a big difference on what matters (serious cases and mortalities).

I’m in Idaho policy and behaviors are what they will be no matter.

My hopes as well.  Hawaii s heavy vaccinated with Vac requirements to enter restaurants, bars, and big events, masking indoors still mandatory, that should make this a milder surge.  (there is no winter in hawaii yet the virus comes and goes). With a wife with lung issues I am very happy to not be living in Wyo, Montana, or Idaho right now

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

42EB89C2-7486-4B40-A07C-DCCDCC19975F.jpeg

Our vaccinated rate being hospitalized has been ticking up lately.  Still significantly less than unvaccinated for sure.  But a little concerning that we are up to 18% of covid hospitalizations being vaccinated....

On 11/18/2021 at 1:44 PM, NMpackalum said:

Funny, this is what I was thinking about the unvaxxed Covid deniers. In a year or two, those who were so worked up about liberty and freedom from tyranny will look back and shake their heads and wonder why they chose this as the hill they wanted to die on.

Assuming they don't, you know, actually die on that hill.

3 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Our vaccinated rate being hospitalized has been ticking up lately.  Still significantly less than unvaccinated for sure.  But a little concerning that we are up to 18% of covid hospitalizations being vaccinated....

The virus is gonna infect until it burns out. The more vaccinated, the better chance it burns out, but in the meantime, if all that is left is vaccinated with weakened vax, it is gonna hit them. Those with underlying conditions are still in harms way even if vaxxed. At least until this burns out. They need to still be taking extra precautions. And yes, some of those will end up hospitalized. 

But the vaccinations have still boosted the mortality rate significantly. When this is all done in a year or two, the numbers will bare this out. Despite the political message du jour. It is hard to prove a negative so people can spin it how they want.

Exhibit A: Bob and that one guy he follows on Twitter.

On 11/18/2021 at 2:44 PM, NMpackalum said:

Funny, this is what I was thinking about the unvaxxed Covid deniers. In a year or two, those who were so worked up about liberty and freedom from tyranny will look back and shake their heads and wonder why they chose this as the hill they wanted to die on.

Vermont's leads nation in new COVID cases and vaccination rate (news10.com)

Now what?

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

The virus is gonna infect until it burns out. The more vaccinated, the better chance it burns out, but in the meantime, if all that is left is vaccinated with weakened vax, it is gonna hit them. Those with underlying conditions are still in harms way even if vaxxed. At least until this burns out. They need to still be taking extra precautions. And yes, some of those will end up hospitalized. 

But the vaccinations have still boosted the mortality rate significantly. When this is all done in a year or two, the numbers will bare this out. Despite the political message du jour. It is hard to prove a negative so people can spin it how they want.

I've got some news for you.   Covid is here to stay.....just like the flu.    Different variants, different strains.    It will always be around.   Like the flu, however, it will become so widespread that the entire population will have developed a basic level of immunity and against the various strains and the mortality rates will go way down.    These mandates, masking........and other bullshit will eventually die in time.........just like they did with the lockdowns and all the other garbage they were doing in the beginning.     Go live your life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Unfortunately the boosters aren't as popular as the initial Vax in CO. I think its going to continue going up as everyone's vaccination wears off. 

Just now, x97 said:

I've got some news for you.   Covid is here to stay.....just like the flu.    Different variants, different strains.    It will always be around.   Like the flu, however, it will become so widespread that the entire population will have developed a basic level of immunity and against the various strains and the mortality rates will go way down.    These mandates, masking........and other bullshit will eventually die in time.........just like they did with the lockdowns and all the other garbage they were doing in the beginning.     Go live your life.

I agree with this. I just see vaccinations as a key to speeding up the basic immunity without breaking the healthcare system.

By saying it will burn out, I mean more that it will become endemic and not cause a strain to the healthcare system.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Unfortunately the boosters aren't as popular as the initial Vax in CO. I think its going to continue going up as everyone's vaccination wears off. 

If immunity wears off that much after a few months that's just another sign that this will never be defeated.......Biden's lies claiming he would defeat Covid notwithstanding.    People aren't going to get vaxed every 3 or 4 months.      Live your life.