bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

15 minutes ago, Bob said:

I listened to the whole thing. Rogan beat Sanjay like a rented mule.

Did you listen to the whole 3 hrs? The clip doesn't discuss the effectiveness of the medication, just CNN's reporting of it. Seems like the whole thing was just owning CNN for saying he took horse dewormer and Gupta agreeing they should not have called it that. I mean CNN pushing a narrative is hardly anything new.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob said:

k

Increases in COVID‑19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7.pdf

So why the mandates?

Unless you think like @SharkTanked, to preserve the medical capactity, then if that's the case we also need to make illegal anything else that one voluntarity does to put the capacity of our hospitals at risk, like drinking, smoking, riding motorcycles, swimming, lifting weights, going up and down stairs.

Several issues with this paper I will expand upon below.

Please understand, this reply is not intended for Bobo - who has repeatedly demonstrated his inability to ingest data outside his bias ad nauseum - but rather for those, who like myself, found the title and gist of the paper interesting enough to actually read it and inspect its findings.

I have both been published and taken part in more peer reviews and acceptance tests than I care to remember. Below is the result of a cursory peer review:

1. There are serious issues with their source data. The reference for their cross-country dataset is simply the www.ourworldindata.org coronavirus landing page, without any url listed to the actual data they reference, or any accompanying .csv file that can be independently inspected. This is not simply an APA citation failure; it is a failure by most standards. The data is available in a table in the supplementary document once you go to the publication's url, but there is no - absolutely zero - link to a landing page with the source data to verify it:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-10-15-56-AM.pn

2. This becomes an issue because without the actual data set, the following graph - which indicates median, interquartile, and variation of prevalence rates - does not dovetail with the findings:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-10-05-51-AM.pn

Notice that both the median and interquartile ranges for infection rates trend down as the vaccination rates increase. :waiting:

3. Another issue is that the paper is lacking any statistical analysis other than the resultant graphs. I mean, where the f*ck is the chi-square test? :blink: In the absence of such basic expected accompanying data that would mathematicaly validate any purported findings, it is difficult to IV&V any reported correlation.

This becomes paramount when in the absence of such data, the authors presents a graph like this:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-9-56-02-AM.png

At a glance, there is a weak, but present, positive correlation. However, not only do the authors fail to articulate what the correlation coefficient is anywhere in the paper, they fail to validate it though the presentation of even the most rudimentary statistical analysis. 

I honestly am surprised this was published in its current form, as it fails to meet the most basic requirements for being published in a scientific journal stateside. :shrug:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Rogan schools Sanjay Gupta about CNN lies about horse dewormer.

Fair enough, but maybe try watching the entire podcast? Ffs, what is it with the nuthuggery that they have to flagrape every 2nd-hand news source that validates their feels? I mean, there's like two minutes of Rogan podcast in that entire 12 minute video.

Btw, for there record, saying ivermectin is a horse dewormer is not a lie. It is used as a horse dewormer. But for CNN to conflate veterinary medicine with regular human medicine was not entirely honest, and Dr. Gupta agreed with Rogan. Not sure where the "gotcha" is? :shrug:

As par with almost every Rogan podcast, it is an honest discussion. And while the Good Doctor deserved to get shit for the broad silo of 'horse dewormer' into which CNN cast Rogan's own prescription, for the rest of it he has been schooling Rogan on the risk-v-reward proposition of vaccination versus infection.

At the one hour mark, Rogan starts failing in his pushback regarding the occurrence of myocarditis in kids...

There is published data regarding myocarditis rates clearly shows you are 16x more likely to get myocarditis from COVID than from the vaccine.

Rogan got buttstuck on a paper that compared occurrence rates of myocarditis cases that required medical attention in vaccinated boys a certain age range to COVID hospitalization rates among the same age group. Rogan - either by feels or by bullshit - seems unable to ingest this very simple point, one that Gupta tried several times (unsuccessfully) to impart:

An apples-to-apples comparison would be i) myocarditis rates among vaccinated vs. unvaccinated, and ii) hospitalization rates of vaccinated vs unvaccinated boys of the same age. Both of these have been studied and published.

In short - myocarditis rates are 16x higher in children with COVID as opposed to children who have been vaccinated (90+ per million vs. 5.8 per million), and children who are not vaccinated are 10x more likely to be hospitalized with COVID than children who are vaccinated.

mm7036e2_HospitalizationsChildren_IMAGE_

Maybe this is why the highest COVID hospitalization rates are in the states with the lowest vaccination rates (Link). :waiting: 

Anyway, as usual, I find there to be about a 9:1 signal-to-noise ratio in his podcast, with 90% good, open, honest discussion and 10% pssst... your bias is showing. But I'e always enjoyed listening to him and always ascribed that 10% of eyebrow-raising comments to simple bias that can color all our lenses from time to time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob said:

k

Increases in COVID‑19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7.pdf

So why the mandates?

Unless you think like @SharkTanked, to preserve the medical capactity, then if that's the case we also need to make illegal anything else that one voluntarity does to put the capacity of our hospitals at risk, like drinking, smoking, riding motorcycles, swimming, lifting weights, going up and down stairs.

When was the last time every bed in the hospital was filled with people dying of smoking related illnesses. or any of the other things you mentioned. NEVER 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Several issues with this paper I will expand upon below.

Please understand, this reply is not intended for Bobo - who has repeatedly demonstrated his inability to ingest data outside his bias ad nauseum - but rather for those, who like myself, found the title and gist of the paper interesting enough to actually read it and inspect its findings.

I have both been published and taken part in more peer reviews and acceptance tests than I care to remember. Below is the result of a cursory peer review:

1. There are serious issues with their source data. The reference for their cross-country dataset is simply the www.ourworldindata.org coronavirus landing page, without any url listed to the actual data they reference, or any accompanying .csv file that can be independently inspected. This is not simply an APA citation failure; it is a failure by most standards. The data is available in a table in the supplementary document once you go to the publication's url, but there is no - absolutely zero - link to a landing page with the source data to verify it:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-10-15-56-AM.pn

2. This becomes an issue because without the actual data set, the following graph - which indicates median, interquartile, and variation of prevalence rates - does not dovetail with the findings:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-10-05-51-AM.pn

Notice that both the median and interquartile ranges for infection rates trend down as the vaccination rates increase. :waiting:

3. Another issue is that the paper is lacking any statistical analysis other than the resultant graphs. I mean, where the f*ck is the chi-square test? :blink: In the absence of such basic expected accompanying data that would mathematicaly validate any purported findings, it is difficult to IV&V any reported correlation.

This becomes paramount when in the absence of such data, the authors presents a graph like this:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-9-56-02-AM.png

At a glance, there is a weak, but present, positive correlation. However, not only do the authors fail to articulate what the correlation coefficient is anywhere in the paper, they fail to validate it though the presentation of even the most rudimentary statistical analysis. 

I honestly am surprised this was published in its current form, as it fails to meet the most basic requirements for being published in a scientific journal stateside. :shrug:

I used to know what all that jargon meant when I took stats in college. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

When was the last time every bed in the hospital was filled with people dying of smoking related illnesses. or any of the other things you mentioned. NEVER 

Maybe there is an ER near Muscle Beach for all those who deadlift and give themselves a hernia?  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Btw, for there record, saying ivermectin is a horse dewormer is not a lie. It is used as a horse dewormer. But for CNN to conflate veterinary medicine with regular human medicine was not entirely honest, and Dr. Gupta agreed with Rogan. Not sure where the "gotcha" is? :shrug:

But when people are going to the feed store and specifically buying ivermectin marketed and prepared as horse dewormer  it is entirely accurate to say they are taking horse dewormer.

And I don't really think we disagree here but you wer the last person mentioning this thread. But I keep seeing people saying "its not horse dewormer just because that is one of the things it is used as" but when you are purchasing a package that has a horse on it meant to remove worms from said horse....you are buying horse dewormer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tspoke said:

But when people are going to the feed store and specifically buying ivermectin marketed and prepared as horse dewormer  it is entirely accurate to say they are taking horse dewormer.

And I don't really think we disagree here but you wer the last person mentioning this thread. But I keep seeing people saying "its not horse dewormer just because that is one of the things it is used as" but when you are purchasing a package that has a horse on it meant to remove worms from said horse....you are buying horse dewormer.

I agree with that. I think Rogan's point of contention was that there were CNN anchors saying he was taking horse dewormer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

I used to know what all that jargon meant when I took stats in college. 

Data makes me spill my milkshake, and stats are simply our toolkit to analyze it. However, it is entirely too easy to statistically cherry pick one tree at the expense of the forrest, which gives legs to the old Mark Twain quote about liars and statistics. I try to approach everything with a healthy skepticism, and when I see a paper that both glosses over presented data at odds with its own findings and fails to accurately provide source data, more red flags go up than at Mao's birthday in Beijing.

54 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I agree with that. I think Rogan's point of contention was that there were CNN anchors saying he was taking horse dewormer.

walter white GIF

I didn't watch the clip so yeah my bad. I was making the point in general but nevermind.

What's the benefit of ivermectin?  I'm not a doctor but I remember briefly going over antihelmenthe (sp?) treatments in my invertebrate biology class and it seems aside from it also being an anti inflammatory it would have little to no affect to a virus.

16 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

What's the benefit of ivermectin?  I'm not a doctor but I remember briefly going over antihelmenthe (sp?) treatments in my invertebrate biology class and it seems aside from it also being an anti inflammatory it would have little to no affect to a virus.

If a virus has worms...its very effective. :ph34r:

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Lol.

I mean, I feel bad for him and his wife as a parent's concern knows no bounds and I wish his child a full and speedy recovery, but lol.

The tweet about his kid was in 2015. So I am assuming the kid is fine. It was just showing his change in attitude from when it wa his kid to when it became political. 

I do feel bad for his wife though.