bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

10 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

There are 8 billion people in this world. It might take a decade to provide vaccines to all who want them, if they’re given the choice. That’s why the pandemic will be with us for years. The delta variant didn’t come from Marjorie Taylor Greene’s stupid head.

If you want more people to get vaccinated, stop talking about it. Because you suck at persuading anyone and are being actively unhelpful. You, personally, are making things worse for giggles on the mwboard. At least bob only makes himself look bad.

btw one version of smallpox had a 30% kill rate 

"While an infection of the variola minor virus would lead to death with a probability of less than one percent, the case fatality rate of the variola major virus has been estimated to be around 30 percent. The specific way a smallpox infection would lead to a patient's death remains unclear."

https://ourworldindata.org/smallpox

18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Ok, give me the numbers and factor those things in. Abstract statements about other potential problems don’t do anything. The hospitals were never overrun on a wide scale when we didn’t have a vaccine, and the hospitalization numbers are greatly reduced now that we do. You cannot scare monger, now that things are getting better, people who weren’t that scared to begin with. They see those numbers too.

Hammer the point. The vaccines work. Get it. +++++ the masks. Go live your lives. That’s all anybody should have been saying for months now.

It will take some time to really understand the long term impact of covid on the body.   We don't know but we do know many who are not dying are seeing life long impact to their bodies.  I prefer to prevent problems not wait to react to them.  Btw I am not a close it all down type.  I do believe in smart interventions, like masks indoors, and as you say push the hell out of the vaccines.  It isn't fear mongering to be aware that more is going on here besides a death rate number

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-long-haulers-long-term-effects-of-covid19

Here is the list as of June 1, 2021  of hospitals who were postponing elective surgeries.  I suspect it is a lot longer now.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/patient-flow/8-hospitals-postponing-elective-procedures-amid-covid-19-resurgence.html

I also live on an island with only 24 total ICU beds, a critical doctor shortage, and is seeing the arrivals of thousands of tourists daily. Most of the ICU beds are full now and many with tourists who fell off cliffs and almost drowned.   No lung doctors exist on the island.   Honolulu had 6 hospitals diverting ambulances due to no staff to care for them last week.   It isn't about beds it is about staff to work the hospitals.

12 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Don't think the vast reach of this board really affects the worldwide numbers of those contemplating to vaccinate or not, so my posts, (while I appreciate your thoughts that I have the power to sway the masses :)) probably aren't really reaching that many who fall into the "Should I or shouldn't I" vaccinate !

As for your thirst for "giggles" ...might I suggest you hone in on my humorous & science related postings, that have the ability to amuse & create thought provoking dialog and ignore the posts that rankle your sensitivities & overall giddiness :banhammer:

You amuse me often. I love your science postings. I like your humor. I like your old Clinton pragmatist ways that don’t bend. But you’re not helpful here. And I think we can get Bob vaccinated. So if that’s one fewer vector for death and serious illness, how many people can that reach? But you can’t do it pointing out regular people at their last extremity of life with a chuckle. It doesn’t work. It seems like we’re the unreasonable ones.

• Cheers 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 minutes ago, Billings said:

btw one version of smallpox had a 30% kill rate 

"While an infection of the variola minor virus would lead to death with a probability of less than one percent, the case fatality rate of the variola major virus has been estimated to be around 30 percent. The specific way a smallpox infection would lead to a patient's death remains unclear."

https://ourworldindata.org/smallpox

Some outbreaks were worse than others. That goes for cholera, scarlet fever, typhus, yellow fever...the list goes on. The point being that a 30% mortality rate instead of a 60% mortality rate, doesn’t move the needle when talking about a disease with a 2.5% mortality rate at its worst without treatments. We don’t live in a country where any of those numbers are comparable to the present anymore. 

It’s not March 2020 anymore. As our situation has changed, our thinking must change. The vaccines are safe and they work. Hammer that and nothing else.

• Like 2

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

31 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You amuse me often. I love your science postings. I like your humor. I like your old Clinton pragmatist ways that don’t bend. But you’re not helpful here. And I think we can get Bob vaccinated. So if that’s one fewer vector for death and serious illness, how many people can that reach? But you can’t do it pointing out regular people at their last extremity of life with a chuckle. It doesn’t work. It seems like we’re the unreasonable ones.

I certainly agree the fear message is doing very little to move the vaccination needle....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

And I think we can get Bob vaccinated. 

You planning on kidnapping him and chaining him down?

Sounds like a good plan....unless you plan on releasing back into the wild afterwards.

• Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

14 minutes ago, RSF said:

You planning on kidnapping him and chaining him down?

Sounds like a good plan....unless you plan on releasing back into the wild afterwards.

I will convince him.

@Bob. Bob my man. Bobby. What’s happening? Anytime you want to talk about the vaccine, I’m here for it. I’ll never be for the gubmint mandating it. I’ll never be for vaccine passports or punitive measures against free Americans for making their own choice. I won’t be a pain in the ass to any store that requires a mask, but that part of my life is over unless something drastically changes. I’m done with it. You’re right, the CDC and the public health officials have lied and botched this beyond repair. I don’t trust them either because they’re just making it up. I’m on your side on all of that. You can trust me Bobby. In this one thread, Lawlor doesn’t troll and I don’t say things I don’t think are true. The vaccines are safe and they work. I have the numbers. And there could be no bigger win for our side than to get you vaccinated. Then we can stand up to those lying, prima Donna, micromanaging technocrats using this crisis to make everyone’s life’s worse; because we will have done everything possible. +++++ their mask mandates. +++++ their closure mandates they want to bring back. The unions, which I normally hate, are against them with us so they aren’t going to be able to demand vaccines from on high without screwing themselves politically. Get the stick, we win. It’s that simple. 

• Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

4 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I will convince him.

@Bob. Bob my man. Bobby. What’s happening? Anytime you want to talk about the vaccine, I’m here for it. I’ll never be for the gubmint mandating it. I’ll never be for vaccine passports or punitive measures against free Americans for making their own choice. I won’t be a pain in the ass to any store that requires a mask, but that part of my life is over unless something drastically changes. I’m done with it. You’re right, the CDC and the public health officials have lied and botched this beyond repair. I don’t trust them either because they’re just making it up. I’m on your side on all of that. You can trust me Bobby. In this one thread, Lawlor doesn’t troll and I don’t say things I don’t think are true. The vaccines are safe and they work. I have the numbers. And there could be no bigger win for our side than to get you vaccinated. Then we can stand up to those lying, prima Donna, micromanaging technocrats using this crisis to make everyone’s life’s worse; because we will have done everything possible. +++++ their mask mandates. +++++ their closure mandates they want to bring back. The unions, which I normally hate, are against them with us so they aren’t going to be able to demand vaccines from on high without screwing themselves politically. Get the stick, we win. It’s that simple. 

For god's sake man ....cut to the chase

@Bob Please get the vaccine, it's only a pain in the arm for a few hours.....that's a small price to pay to remain a member of Cult 45 and being able to see My Pillow guy help Make America Great Again - Plus if there's a shootin' coup attempt by the tRUMP ARMY, you surely don't want to miss it & the opportunity to follow General Flynn into battle 

Voting Donald Trump GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

The way to move the needle? Adjust the incentives. Disincentivize turning down the vaccine by making it inconvenient. Reward people for getting vaccinated.

EDIT: Wrong thread. Meant to post this in the one about getting the Bob's of the world vaccinated.

7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I will convince him.

Go bang your head.

• Haha 1

Currently, 39% of Americans say returning to their pre-coronavirus life right now poses a large or moderate risk to their health and well-being. This marks an 11-point increase from the end of last month, and a return to the levels of perceived risk from late May.

Americans growing more cautious.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/axios-ipsos-coronavirus-index

56 minutes ago, Billings said:

Currently, 39% of Americans say returning to their pre-coronavirus life right now poses a large or moderate risk to their health and well-being. This marks an 11-point increase from the end of last month, and a return to the levels of perceived risk from late May.

Probably a lot of recency bias there. But it is pretty sad still. The Spanish Flu eventually just became the flu. This will as well over time.

I wonder if people being overly cautious will result in weaker immune systems, thereby exacerbating the problem?

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Probably a lot of recency bias there. But it is pretty sad still. The Spanish Flu eventually just became the flu. This will as well over time.

I wonder if people being overly cautious will result in weaker immune systems, thereby exacerbating the problem?

The Spanish flu literally became the flu, though. It mutated into a less deadly variant that could multiply and spread without killing its hosts quickly. That seems like what we’re seeing, among the vaccinated at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billings said:

I’m not quite in that 39% yet, but the idea that I could spread delta to my kids has me concerned. I’m keeping an eye on cases/outcomes in young children and will act accordingly. 

I also want zero to do with anyone who’s willfully unvaccinated, but that was true before delta.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

You do know the early spanish flu bug was very mild a year before it started killing? Then it mutated to a milder form.  

not all viruses become less deadly and it is safe to say the delta variant is causing more severe illness than the alpha variant did. We seem to be going to wrong way for mutations.

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I’m not quite in that 39% yet, but the idea that I could spread delta to my kids has me concerned. I’m keeping an eye on cases/outcomes in young children and will act accordingly. 

I also want zero to do with anyone who’s willfully unvaccinated, but that was true before delta.

I am going out less. No longer eating indoors, and avoiding indoor contact with people.  25% of cases in hawaii are in kids under 18.

Florida setting new pandemic case records.  Spike is higher than it has ever been.  Way to go Desantis.  Hospitals are cancelling non-emergency surgeries all over again.  The non-vaccinated screwing everyone else around

"The Florida Hospital Association said Friday that statewide COVID-19 hospitalizations are nearing last year’s peak, and one of the state’s largest health care systems, AdventHealth’s Central Florida Division, this week advised it would no longer be conducting nonemergency surgeries in order to free up resources for COVID-19 patients."

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-health-business-arts-and-entertainment-florida-01fa89e1d9491ab075c5deb689af1ea8