bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

14 hours ago, Bob said:

This. It’s not worth being psychotic about when there is essentially a zero percent chance anything bad will happen to baby. BUT that’s me, and I guess I’m warped. It is a great way to create a rift with your family though

+++++ his family. The authority of a parent to decide what is best or what isn't best for his and her child is almost absolute. I am surprised that you are suddenly open to a collectivist approach to child rearing. Just do what the village says. It takes a village after all. 

• Haha 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

yikes! they didn't complete mine until I was shot

Mine too when i received my two shots. The way our system works, however, is they come to the pharmacy first and put in their insurance, etc. Then we give them their card to take to the clinic (which is located somewhere else) and then the immunizer verifies their card, administers shot, and then gives them the card back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Seriously????  😂  Seems like such a weird use of time.  

Exactly! It's like really?? You already got your first shot, why try to waste all this time and effort to "beat the system"? Why not just finish your series and be protected?

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Bob said:

Calm down. Parents get the say in everything, yes of course,  but grandparents also get to wonder where they went wrong raising their own kids that made them want to wrap their kids in bubble wrap. 

You are obviously not a golfer. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:47 AM, smltwnrckr said:

+++++ his family. The authority of a parent to decide what is best or what isn't best for his and her child is almost absolute. I am surprised that you are suddenly open to a collectivist approach to child rearing. Just do what the village says. It takes a village after all. 

Depends on the parents. Sometimes it’s hard to discern who are the parents and who are the kids. On top of that most families are dysfunctional in some respect. We don’t say anything to our daughter and husband about how they are raising their kids unless we see an obvious issue which is very infrequent. 

My wife refuses to go see our grand kids until the parents are vaccinated although we have both been vaccinated. They live in Logan, Utah and claim they are having trouble getting vaccinated which I question. They aren’t anti vaxers. 

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Depends on the parents. Sometimes it’s hard to discern who are the parents and who are the kids. On top of that most families are dysfunctional in some respect. We don’t say anything to our daughter and husband about how they are raising their kids unless we see an obvious issue which is very infrequent. 

My wife refuses to go see our grand kids until the parents are vaccinated although we have both been vaccinated. They live in Logan, Utah and claim they are having trouble getting vaccinated which I question. They aren’t anti vaxers. 

Call the Walgreens in Logan, the ones here are offering shots without appointments.  Then you can have that conversation and see if they’re full of shit.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

They aren’t having issues getting vaccinated.  They either haven’t prioritized it or don’t want it.  It’s pretty readily available here.  To each their own though...  what is the wife’s concern here since she’s vaccinated?  That’s the more puzzling question to me.

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Lol Ontario didn't have a strict lock down,  they had a dysfunctional one, with more outdoor gathering restrictions than indoor ones for religion... unlike Michigan,  which for 4 of their stages simply do not allow indoor gathering.  Furthermore. Canada's vaccination campaign has been a train wreck. 

Lmfao bob

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 5/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, NorCalCoug said:

They aren’t having issues getting vaccinated.  They either haven’t prioritized it or don’t want it.  It’s pretty readily available here.  To each their own though...  what is the wife’s concern here since she’s vaccinated?  That’s the more puzzling question to me.

My sister-in-law knows the Indian-American doctor featured on the news last week who returned to India after being fully vaccinated here (Pfizer) yet still contracted COVID and died.

AP ran a story yesterday on three Indian families, including a former diplomat who was fully vaccinated (A-Z) yet contracted COVID and died.

The vaccine does not provide unicorn immunity. It is simply another layer of protection. A 95% efficacy rate means there is still a measurable chance (+/-10%) that one or both soup and/or his wife could contract it if they were both exposed.

We have gone full retro in how we hang with family or friends who are fully vac'd - no masks, more physical contact than an orgy, etc. But while my two friends who are yet to get vaccinated still come over and kick it, they ain't allowed inside the house.

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

My sister-in-law knows the Indian-American doctor featured on the news last week who returned to India after being fully vaccinated here (Pfizer) yet still contracted COVID and died.

AP ran a story yesterday on three Indian families, including a former diplomat who was fully vaccinated (A-Z) yet contracted COVID and died.

The vaccine does not provide unicorn immunity. It is simply another layer of protection. A 95% efficacy rate means there is still a measurable chance (+/-10%) that one or both soup and/or his wife could contract it if they were both exposed.

We have gone full retro in how we hang with family or friends who are fully vac'd - no masks, more physical contact than an orgy, etc. But while my two friends who are yet to get vaccinated still come over and kick it, they ain't allowed inside the house.

No vaccine is 100%.  It’s silly to expect it to be.  Examples like the one you cite are bound to happen but need to be kept in perspective for how exceptional they are.  You get it, many out there don’t.

• Like 2

v0icAvfW.jpg

23 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Time to stay home and be overly/irrationally cautious because you might get smallpox!

They're pretty effective vaccines. The technology and science to create them so quickly and such a high efficacy rate is amazing. Shingles, tetanus/pertussis, and obviously flu have lower effective rates than these two. As long as the virus doesnt mutate crazy...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Time to stay home and be overly/irrationally cautious because you might get smallpox!

Nah, it was eradicated in 1977 after killing 500 million people over the previous century...with a vaccine that underwent way less testing than these ones.

• Cheers 4

First gym session with no mask in about a year last night.  Certainly a change in cardio performance.  I think it pushed my baseline higher.  I hate masks, but I may think about those cardio masks I used to laugh at folks that would wear them in the gym, looking like Bane.  I noticed improvements when I would run outdoors (no mask, obviously), but I wasn't going to contribute it to anything at that time.  Relatively nothing else has changed in my routine except no sauna, but deeper stretching, so if I have to blame something...  A positive out of a negative.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

First gym session with no mask in about a year last night.  Certainly a change in cardio performance.  I think it pushed my baseline higher.  I hate masks, but I may think about those cardio masks I used to laugh at folks that would wear them in the gym, looking like Bane.  I noticed improvements when I would run outdoors (no mask, obviously), but I wasn't going to contribute it to anything at that time.  Relatively nothing else has changed in my routine except no sauna, but deeper stretching, so if I have to blame something...  A positive out of 

Those altitude masks work for improving performance. They also suck to wear and you look like a moron. To each his own.

2 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

Those altitude masks work for improving performance. They also suck to wear and you look like a moron. To each his own.

sounds like my weight vest.

Pros: increases intensity, strength, cardio gains. good way to increase difficulty without increasing weight. makes even recovery tougher.

Cons: bounces a bit, makes my joints sore if I over-use it, makes me look like a terrorist

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:05 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Risk vs Reward.  Gain of function research in theory provides a lot of knowledge.  But yeah....I feel ya.  Anybody who thinks it is more likely than not that SARS2 came about either naturally from bats directly or from an intermediary species is looking like clown shoes right now.  This came from the lab.  That is where the logic points.

We just disagree on if gain of function should be allowed to be researched.  I think yes, but only in  the strictest environments and only for certain disease types.  

Point out one single benefit this knowledge added to our ability to combat this pandemic.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.