bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

21 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

The pandemic is coming to an end. I think Covid will flare up the occasional hot spots thanks to all the @Bob , but we are near the end 

It’s so strange from my POV. Case rates are plummeting, except where I live, it seems. We’re at the back end of our worst spike of the pandemic.

41 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

This thread should be sent to the national archives to document how the country dealt with the pandemic.

I agree there would be some archive value, but we’ve been vaccinated more than the general population. Unfortunately, there are a lot more Bobs out there than on here. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

This thread should be sent to the national archives to document how the country dealt with the pandemic.

Yes, no joke. I really think this thread is historically significant.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 hours ago, NVGiant said:

It’s so strange from my POV. Case rates are plummeting, except where I live, it seems. We’re at the back end of our worst spike of the pandemic.

Oregon was one of those outliers that missed the worst of the pandemic. 

10 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Honestly, this is exactly what I was thinking. This thread is over 700 pages that dealt with the unknown beginnings, scientific speculations, personal tragedies, political fallout, and humanity perseverance. I'd like to get a hardcopy for my bookshelf and throw in a few side chapters of the professional and collegiate sports threads on how they dealt with the pandemic.      

• Like 2

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

20 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

The pandemic is coming to an end. I think Covid will flare up the occasional hot spots thanks to all the @Bob , but we are near the end 

We had our opportunity to reach herd immunity but it won’t happen due to vaccine hesitation. So now we’re going to have to live with seasonal flare ups of COVID similar to influenza. Moving forward, it likely won’t be as deadly unless a nasty variant takes hold.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I was DMing with @halfmanhalfbroncothis morning. Traveling back to Boise in a couple weeks for the first time in a year and a half. Will be the first time for my 10 month old. I’m going to take some heat from family and friends for my stance that anyone who isn’t vaccinated needs to wear masks and wash their hands around my little daughter but I’m just trying to be a dad and protect her. You’d think people would respect that but I’m already taking flak. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 6
  • Facepalm 1

57 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

We had our opportunity to reach herd immunity but it won’t happen due to vaccine hesitation. So now we’re going to have to live with seasonal flare ups of COVID similar to influenza. Moving forward, it likely won’t be as deadly unless a nasty variant takes hold.

We really didn’t...  not when there are countries like India with a quarter of the world’s population and a 10%-15% vaccination rate. 

v0icAvfW.jpg

5 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

We really didn’t...  not when there are countries like India with a quarter of the world’s population and a 10%-15% vaccination rate. 

We could have in the industrialized world while gradually bringing the third world into the fold, similar to smallpox. It was such an amazing thing how people got behind the smallpox vaxx campaign without politicizing it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

We could have in the industrialized world while gradually bringing the third world into the fold, similar to smallpox. It was such an amazing thing how people got behind the smallpox vaxx campaign without politicizing it. 

Now that the adult population is mostly vaccinated here - wonder if vaccine inventories aren’t better served going to some of these countries instead of our 12+ age group. 

v0icAvfW.jpg

8 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Now that the adult population is mostly vaccinated here - wonder if vaccine inventories aren’t better served going to some of these countries instead of our 12+ age group. 

“Mostly” is not an accurate description. We’re still under 50% for even one dose of the adult population.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

California is among the most vaccinated states and it is only a bit above 50% fully vaccinated adults. 

6 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

“Mostly” is not an accurate description. We’re still under 50% for even one dose of the adult population.

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

California is among the most vaccinated states and it is only a bit above 50% fully vaccinated adults. 

I worded it poorly...  we’re getting to the point where most adults that want or are going to get the vaccine will have done so.  Obviously not there yet but not far off.  Vaccine inventories at that point are better served going to other countries that are behind instead of focusing on a <18 segment that doesn’t contract or spread the virus as much as adults.

• Like 1

v0icAvfW.jpg

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

I worded it poorly...  we’re getting to the point where most adults that want or are going to get the vaccine will have done so.  Obviously not there yet but not far off.  Vaccine inventories at that point are better served going to other countries that are behind instead of focusing on a <18 segment that doesn’t contract or spread the virus as much as adults.

I agree with that vaccine that (unfortunately) won’t get used here should be sent to where people want it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I was DMing with @halfmanhalfbroncothis morning. Traveling back to Boise in a couple weeks for the first time in a year and a half. Will be the first time for my 10 month old. I’m going to take some heat from family and friends for my stance that anyone who isn’t vaccinated needs to wear masks and wash their hands around my little daughter but I’m just trying to be a dad and protect her. You’d think people would respect that but I’m already taking flak. 

Dude, you got to shut that shit down right now and enforce boundaries with a vengeance. Not just with covid, but that is a good opportunity to flex your authority as a dad. 

Make it clear what the rules are and follow through. If anyone gives you shit for it, make it clear that they're just pissing in the wind and you as the parents get to decide what you want, how you want, when you want and you dont owe anyone anything in terms of explanations or access to the kid. let them think you're weird control freaks and if they want to see the kid, they have to bow down to your nutty demands. 

Both my wife and I have families with boundaries issues in certain areas. We saw it early with the baby. Best decision we ever had was to be hard asses about little routine things in ways that define and reinforce boundaries with our parents and others. Most of it was around routines like nap, bed, eating, travel times, schedules, stuff like that. Some safety things too. We were like, this is how we do it so this is how it's done. You dont like it, theres the door. No budging. Ever. It was hard at first, because we would occassionally get comments from the peanut gallery. And sometimes I felt a little silly holding the line on something that really wasnt a big deal just to reinforce who was boss. But think of it as training... for when the kid is 4 and starts pushing boundaries too.

It wasnt long before our families deferred to us on things they didnt even have to. Now theres no tension kts just the norm that they ask me or the wife and keep any comments to themselves.

There is nothing I hate more than people who think they know best how people should raise their kids. And it can be crazier among families where dynamics are already weird, and sometimes every decision is read as commentary on the way they all raise or raised their kids. I have friends who didnt or dont do that, and they have parents and/or siblings who will do things or let their kid do things they my friends forbade (smoking, letting the small baby sleep with blankets, etc) because that's how they raised their kids so it's good enough. Like it was a statement. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.