bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

If you're triggered by someone wearing a mask in their car, you're a special kind of snowflake.

If you think I care one iota other than getting a chuckle out of the silliness of it, then you’re a special kind of stupid.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

If you think I care one iota other than getting a chuckle out of the silliness of it, then you’re a special kind of stupid.

I wasnt suggesting you were the snowflake, but the guy who spent the money and energy buying a bumper sticker and putting on his car and fretting about it. But maybe I was wrong, since you're getting defensive about it. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I wasnt suggesting you were the snowflake, but the guy who spent the money and energy buying a bumper sticker and putting on his car and fretting about it. But maybe I was wrong, since you're getting defensive about it. 

Who's defensive?  I'm not defensive.  You're the one who's defensive...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Yes. They stopped wearing masks and started resuming life as normal. Every single member of my wife's family she's spoken to in the last 4-5 months kept referring to the present (the then present, now the past) as "post-COVID." 

As Oldie stated, their leadership started holding massive political rallies and encouraging people to attend massive religious festival gatherings.

This included four members of my wife's family, three of which were hospitalized until last week, two of which required oxygen. 

Glad to hear they're doing better (off O2). My buddy's wife is from India (live in Germany now). And I asked a out her family today, and apparently the south hasn't been hit too hard luckily for them. But damn it's terrible what many in that country are going through.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

India was much more proactive in the first wave - a greater focus on testing (than we did), more severe lockdowns, and greater government-coordinated efforts at contact tracing and quarantining sick individuals. First wave-to-first wave, India did a much more effective job at handling the pandemic than our administration did. Full stop.

And California has the lowest positivity rate in the country and can safely reopen without killing off all the old folks, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. 

With regards to your third point, it's only partially valid because the sequencing-to-release cycle of forthcoming boosters will be much more rapid now than it was during the vaccines initial development cycles. And now that distribution channels are tried and proven, delivery through the last mile will be much ore efficient as well.

What we are seeing in India is a delayed reaction. Like California they were proactive early but you can’t keep people in their homes forever and when they came out it hit them like a tsunami, like it also did several months ago in California when they were gloating about how well they were doing.

The point is pandemic gonna pandemic. If you look at statistics for every state across the country the positive cases and deaths are all remarkably similar per capita (with a few outliers) even though each state in many cases had very different mandates. 

As far as California doing well now. that’s pretty much the case across the whole country. We’re also seeing much lower cases and deaths in Idaho. 

Well, in @smltwnrckr is a prophet part 2,386...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/liberals-covid-19-science-denial-lockdown/618780/

Sigh. I'm fully vaccinated. just the first shot protects me at 94%. I had the virus concurrently, so I'm protected that way too. I don't wear a mask outside. I don't have a problem shaking people's hands. Lockdown isn't a lifestyle, it's a set of measures designed to ameliorate deaths and damage to the economy over a finite span. 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 minutes ago, happycamper said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/liberals-covid-19-science-denial-lockdown/618780/

Sigh. I'm fully vaccinated. just the first shot protects me at 94%. I had the virus concurrently, so I'm protected that way too. I don't wear a mask outside. I don't have a problem shaking people's hands. Lockdown isn't a lifestyle, it's a set of measures designed to ameliorate deaths and damage to the economy over a finite span. 

Call me the Oracle of the MWC Board.

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
On 4/29/2021 at 5:53 PM, NorCalCoug said:

Saw this today 😂 

318D1F81-6C80-4080-803D-93CBB23B6E5E.jpeg

Good heavens....

That's one of the dumbest things to put on a car that I've seen.

Wear a mask wherever.... whatever floats your boat.  But to put that on your car!?!

38 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Agreed. We're seeing it here in Oregon, where we're in the midst of a spike ourselves. In Deschutes County, it's about as bad as it has been since this whole thing started. The governor just shut restaurants down to indoor dining, gyms are closed, etc. 

In one way I get it. We do have a hospital capacity issue, as we have more than 90% occupied of just 18 ICU beds locally, serving an area of more than 200,000 people. And with just 300 ICU beds statewide, Oregon has the fewest per capita of any state. But at the same time, we're getting to the point where nearly every adult who wants a vaccine can get one, and the most at-risk groups are around 80% vaccinated.

At some point, we have to trust the vaccines, and let the chips fall where they may. 

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Good heavens....

That's one of the dumbest things to put on a car that I've seen.

Wear a mask wherever.... whatever floats your boat.  But to put that on your car!?!

I bet the vast majority of those who are wearing a mask in the car by themselves are simply people who forgot to take their masks off when they drove off from the store, or wherever they were required to wear one. I've done that a few times myself. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Glad to hear they're doing better (off O2). My buddy's wife is from India (live in Germany now). And I asked a out her family today, and apparently the south hasn't been hit too hard luckily for them. But damn it's terrible what many in that country are going through.

Actually, while Delhi seems to be baring the brunt of this wave, B'lore has the highest per capita case count in the country right now and any "true" North Indian will tell you Mumbai (the worst-effected city so far) is in the south (IMO its in the Deccan, which again, any North Indian will tell you is in the south :ph34r:).

ETA: Thank you. :cheers:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

15 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

What we are seeing in India is a delayed reaction. Like California they were proactive early but you can’t keep people in their homes forever and when they came out it hit them like a tsunami, like it also did several months ago in California when they were gloating about how well they were doing.

The point is pandemic gonna pandemic. If you look at statistics for every state across the country the positive cases and deaths are all remarkably similar per capita (with a few outliers) even though each state in many cases had very different mandates. 

As far as California doing well now. that’s pretty much the case across the whole country. We’re also seeing much lower cases and deaths in Idaho. 

Everything in India is a delayed reaction. Yet causality still exists.

To your (still flawed) point, India did a far better job containing the pandemic early on for all the reasons previously explained. This is indisputable, even if one uses the historical figure that only 25% of all deaths in India are medically certified.

And no, country to your faulty assumption, an outbreak of this proportion wasn't inevitable, and the severity of it is directly correlated to the federal government's lack of coordination and planning (much like our first, second, and third waves here). But what do I know... I've only lived there for 6-7 years, read (admittedly shitty) Indian news over coffee every morning and my wife speaks with family in Delhi and B'lore every single day. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

As of yesterday, 56% of the population in SD is at least partially-vaccinated (40.4% fully vaccinated), including 80% of residents aged 60+. And I'm back to handshake-brohug embraces with friends who are vaccinated. 

Inside stores, masks are still required, but you see more and more people more relaxed in outdoor settings. We were walking in Normal Heights to a restaurant last weekend and neither my wife nor I had any inclination to wear a mask. I can't wait to burn these f*cking things, though I'm thinking our cup holders will still be used for hand sanitizer for the indefinite future.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

As of yesterday, 56% of the population in SD is at least partially-vaccinated (40.4% fully vaccinated), including 80% of residents aged 60+. And I'm back to handshake-brohug embraces with friends who are vaccinated. 

Inside stores, masks are still required, but you see more and more people more relaxed in outdoor settings. We were walking in Normal Heights to a restaurant last weekend and neither my wife nor I had any inclination to wear a mask. I can't wait to burn these f*cking things, though I'm thinking our cup holders will still be used for hand sanitizer for the indefinite future.

You see the phucking masks on the ground everywhere. C’mon people it’s not that hard to throw the damn things in the trash. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Call me the Oracle of the MWC Board.

I was going to say something about how calling yourself an oracle would be too off-brand, considering the self-deprecating nature of the name, "small town cracker," but then I realized - for the first time ever - that it reads "small town rocker." :facepalm:

So not only do I feel dumb as shit now for never having really "checked my work," so to speak, but my initial thought was incorrect - you could totally get away with rebranding yourself as "The Oracle" without the critical dependency on happy or anyone else.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You see the phucking masks on the ground everywhere. C’mon people it’s not that hard to throw the damn things in the trash. 

Ditto gloves. WTF is wrong with people that they can't be bothered to walk to a f*cking trash can? 

And while we're at it, the same goes with shopping carts... Maybe if that land manatee bothered walking her Rolling Basket of Fried Shit another 20' back to the cart return once it was unloaded instead of dumping it like a Trump umbrella at the top of a set of ramp stairs she wouldn't need that giant f*cking SUV to hail her ass back and forth to Starbucks. :foottap:

There. Now I feel better. Thanks, soup! :cheers:

6 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

6CC4E49F-ECCC-4639-BC79-692096F858FF.jpeg

Pretty damn impressive, considering we notably have 12% of the entire country's population but the 2nd-largest metropolitan population center and four of the top twenty.

55 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I was going to say something about how calling yourself an oracle would be too off-brand, considering the self-deprecating nature of the name, "small town cracker," but then I realized - for the first time ever - that it reads "small town rocker." :facepalm:

So not only do I feel dumb as shit now for never having really "checked my work," so to speak, but my initial thought was incorrect - you could totally get away with rebranding yourself as "The Oracle" without the critical dependency on happy or anyone else.

The self aggrandizement is strong in me.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I bet the vast majority of those who are wearing a mask in the car by themselves are simply people who forgot to take their masks off when they drove off from the store, or wherever they were required to wear one. I've done that a few times myself. 

FB_IMG_1608309242045_20201218_093427.jpg.54bf488b2215d1fb2208cd04fb12de32.jpg

• Haha 7