bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

17 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Lots of lessons could be learned by our politicians reading that article. A lot of what is said is intuitive especially the part about indoor spread being far more severe than outdoor spread. 

Also, when does the media ever spread good news? Good news doesn’t sell. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Lots of lessons could be learned by our politicians reading that article. A lot of what is said is intuitive especially the part about indoor spread being far more severe than outdoor spread. 

Also, when does the media ever spread good news? Good news doesn’t sell. 

The government needs form and invest in some sort of permanent pandemic team that can study the pandemic and critique the federal and state responses and develop some sort of general response plan, both from a public health standpoint and economic response standpoint. The response sucked this time, and it sucked because the federal government, 50 states, DC, and five territories had to make things up as they went along. 

I ended up getting the first dose of the Moderna vax over the weekend. I'm ambivalent about it for the following reasons.

Both my wife and I qualified for a couple of vax clinics in our community on Friday and Saturday because under the status of educators. My wife signed up quick when she found out, mainly because she had a very, very bad health incident a couple years ago and the doctor said to be safe she should consider that she has an underlying condition. They still don't know whether she may have some immune system issues, so she signed up to get the shot on Friday. 

I opted not to sign up, not because I'm anti vax. I am just not in a high-risk category, I am able to work remotely and I wanted to wait until there was more supply before I took a shot from maybe someone who needs one right now. I figure there will be supply by April that makes me feel like anyone who really needs it had gotten it by then. But my wife has a lot of anxiety about health issues right now, due to her own health scare, and she was pretty annoyed about my initial decision. So she went to get the shot on Friday, and she also talked to a couple educator friends who did so as well. One of the friends explicitly said a bunch (not sure what percent. this is obviously anecdotal) of his teacher colleagues at local school districts are refusing to sign up for this clinic because they're anti-vax. I guess the lines were long at the clinic, but there were multiple appointments available all day, all the way until the last ones at around 7 pm. My wife also heard multiple people complaining about the wait, saying that they only get paid until 3 pm and that they were leaving at 3 whether they got the shot or not. 

So on Saturday, the second day of the clinic, I said +++++ it... I'm gonna keep an eye on available appointments and if there are still a ton available late in the day, I'll go get it. So that's what I did. I had the needle in my arm at about 6:30 pm, and there were still quite a few people there with no indication that they were running out of doses. So on one hand, I still feel like I took a dose that someone who needed it more could have taken. On the other hand, one more person with the dose in them is one step closer to herd immunity.

So as of today, my parents and mother in law got both shots. My sister who is a teacher got her first, and my wife and I each got our first. I am a little surprised at how much my arm is sore still. Other than that, I feel fine. 

• Like 5

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:15 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

I had said a week or so ago that intuitively, at a glance, I think we've removed enough 'susceptible' people from the population to be able to return back to quasi-normal by September. It would appear the data is beginning to bare that possibility out:

Screen-Shot-2021-02-26-at-2-10-24-PM.png

We should have the susceptible vaccinated by the end of this month - and death rates should plummet (I wonder how much that 65% is over 65).  I would assume older people are less anti-vax than younger ones, especially in this case. In my opinion we should be 100% open by June 1st with mask usage in a lot of high-density settings still.  Then 100% back to normal (not just a semblance) by September.

57 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I ended up getting the first dose of the Moderna vax over the weekend. I'm ambivalent about it for the following reasons.

Both my wife and I qualified for a couple of vax clinics in our community on Friday and Saturday because under the status of educators. My wife signed up quick when she found out, mainly because she had a very, very bad health incident a couple years ago and the doctor said to be safe she should consider that she has an underlying condition. They still don't know whether she may have some immune system issues, so she signed up to get the shot on Friday. 

I opted not to sign up, not because I'm anti vax. I am just not in a high-risk category, I am able to work remotely and I wanted to wait until there was more supply before I took a shot from maybe someone who needs one right now. I figure there will be supply by April that makes me feel like anyone who really needs it had gotten it by then. But my wife has a lot of anxiety about health issues right now, due to her own health scare, and she was pretty annoyed about my initial decision. So she went to get the shot on Friday, and she also talked to a couple educator friends who did so as well. One of the friends explicitly said a bunch (not sure what percent. this is obviously anecdotal) of his teacher colleagues at local school districts are refusing to sign up for this clinic because they're anti-vax. I guess the lines were long at the clinic, but there were multiple appointments available all day, all the way until the last ones at around 7 pm. My wife also heard multiple people complaining about the wait, saying that they only get paid until 3 pm and that they were leaving at 3 whether they got the shot or not. 

So on Saturday, the second day of the clinic, I said +++++ it... I'm gonna keep an eye on available appointments and if there are still a ton available late in the day, I'll go get it. So that's what I did. I had the needle in my arm at about 6:30 pm, and there were still quite a few people there with no indication that they were running out of doses. So on one hand, I still feel like I took a dose that someone who needed it more could have taken. On the other hand, one more person with the dose in them is one step closer to herd immunity.

So as of today, my parents and mother in law got both shots. My sister who is a teacher got her first, and my wife and I each got our first. I am a little surprised at how much my arm is sore still. Other than that, I feel fine. 

It’s the other hand. I encourage anyone who can get the vaccine ASAP to take it. It’s admirable to want to put those more vulnerable first, but it’s been a few months. We’re at the point where doses have been destroyed rather than given to anyone. We’ll all be doing more good for everyone the sooner it’s in our arms. Being a healthy person that is no longer a potential vector for spreading the disease puts a lot of people out of harms way.

• Like 4

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I find it strange that educators and a lot of medical personnel refuse to get the vaccine. 

• Like 1

Things I'm looking forward to this year:

• Going to Padre games
  • Letting guests use the bathroom inside the house
  • Eating at a f*cking restaurant all the f*cking restaurants
  • Hanging out with more than 1-2 friends at a time
  • Not having to dress like a low rent dime store wanna superhero every time I want to go into the store
  • Flying somewhere anywhere
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

My wife and I took my grandmother to get her second shot on the 26th, we're scheduled for our second shot on the 10th, and my parents had their second shot two Fridays back.

Out two families should meet halfway to have a shindig or something. I'll bring the wine, weed, whiskey, and cigars.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I find it strange that educators and a lot of medical personnel refuse to get the vaccine. 

me too. 

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Well it depends how you define “a lot”. Also, all medical personnel are not created equal; I imagine vaccine refusal rates vary wildly by profession. Just a wild guess, but the refusal rates are probably lower among epidemiologists then they are CNAs. And I imagine there is a wide range among all the other professions that fall somewhere in between. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Always plan for the full stadiums.  Adjust as necessary, but we should always plan to go back to normal.  

I think we'll have full stadiums for sure next fall.  Whether or not people will show up is another question.  Most west coast schools had attendance issues before Covid. I'm wondering if we'll see a new norm of even emptier stadiums.  Or maybe people will trend the other direction and want to make up for the lost year and everywhere will be packed? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I think we'll have full stadiums for sure next fall.  Whether or not people will show up is another question.  Most west coast schools had attendance issues before Covid. I'm wondering if we'll see a new norm of even emptier stadiums.  Or maybe people will trend the other direction and want to make up for the lost year and everywhere will be packed? 

I am going to guess there are three prevailing ideologies that will manifest next year.  

One, people who still have concerns of spread and don't go

Two, people who realize just how much time and money they saved watching from home and shedding tix

Three, people chomping at the bit and about to go full send on tix and tailgating

Probably more, but those are the ones I am watching for

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob said:

You're going to be a case study in some textbook 100 years from now.

Said the history lesson in 21st century neofascism.

Yes, what the hell am I thinking, all wanting to return to normal and shit... :rolleyes:

BTW, we care for a grandparent in her late 90s, dumbass. I know eugenicists like you want to kill grandma, so go kill your own, you bootlicking f*cktard. 

:idiot:

• Cheers 2
  • Confused 1

Now that we are winding down. Did we blow this thing out of proportion? I don’t know of one person personally who died let alone was hospitalized. It was extremely mild and most kids didn’t even show signs of it when they got it. At least from what I’ve seen around me. 

It get the danger was how contagious it was and we should have acted with restrictions in location with flare ups so we didn’t overwhelm the ICU’s with the high risk population. The big cities probably did things ok, except with school. It was pretty obvious from the beginning this didn’t impact kids much.

NY was a F up from the beginning. Horrible Democrat leadership. Which we all can agree on.

Knock on wood I’ll probably be dead in a week from Covid and spaztecs can say I told you so. 

• Like 1

The Masters 5k road race All American.