bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

My wife’s coworker came into work today not feeling well, sore throat. Her fiancé was sick too...later today he came up positive for Covid. She’s now getting tested, as if we don’t know what it will say. 

My wife wears PPE all day and is extremely careful. She even eats lunch in her car because she feels her coworkers were a bigger risk than her patients. so she feels confident she’ll be fine. but it’s scary stuff. 

I imagine that must be stressful. I hope your wife's coworker tests negative. 

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

16 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It has more to do with them not being legal citizens in the country, but whatever, they should be vaccinated to minimize the spread. And don’t worry the big portion of illegals are in Cali and will be vaccinated. 

I’m perfectly fine with prioritizing extremely scarce resources to legal residents initially.  In fact, it should be that way in the beginning.

v0icAvfW.jpg

18 minutes ago, Blue voodoo said:

Somehow I don’t trust a source that asks “Did Nancy Pelosi Steal the Election?” with Yes and No answer buttons on the first page. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-house-task-force-give-extra-covid-19-vaccine-away-to-anyone-who-wants-it

Senior officials working with the White House coronavirus task force and Operation Warp Speed are pushing for states to begin handing out some of their excess COVID-19 vaccine doses to whoever wants it, according to four individuals familiar with the matter.

The plan is already in motion, with federal officials already talking to states about it. If further enacted, the shift in distribution could upend months of debate and strategizing about who should get the vaccine first. But officials argue that this first-come, first-served approach may be one of the only ways to ensure that millions of vaccine doses don’t expire on the shelf. So far, 24 million doses have been allocated to states, with roughly 28 percent of those doses administered...

President Donald Trump at one point said there would be 100 million doses prepared by the end of 2020. More recently, officials said they would have 20 million doses administered by then. That didn’t happen. In mid-December states began to report a range of issues—deliveries of doses delayed, vaccination reporting systems shutting down. And as the New Year rolled by, the administration had still not reached its target.

While administration officials, citing everything from production and quality control sluggishness to allocation scheduling conflicts, have admitted there was a slight lag in getting the first batches out to states, they have repeatedly told their local counterparts that distribution would soon get back on track. Internally, though, federal officials in recent days have begun to worry that there are issues at every step in the supply chain that could further slow the vaccination rate. A surprising number of healthcare and frontline workers haven’t shown up for their vaccinations or are refusing to get them. (According to a Los Angeles Times report, one hospital in northern California has vaccinated less than half of its staff.) Refrigerators have broken, spoiling dozens of doses. And states have struggled to find enough individuals to administer the vaccines.

Some good news. Medical professionals, what are the barriers to training people to administer the vaccine? It’s just a shot in the muscle of the arm, right? It seems like this is something we could get volunteers to do with some quick training.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

26 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-house-task-force-give-extra-covid-19-vaccine-away-to-anyone-who-wants-it

Senior officials working with the White House coronavirus task force and Operation Warp Speed are pushing for states to begin handing out some of their excess COVID-19 vaccine doses to whoever wants it, according to four individuals familiar with the matter.

The plan is already in motion, with federal officials already talking to states about it. If further enacted, the shift in distribution could upend months of debate and strategizing about who should get the vaccine first. But officials argue that this first-come, first-served approach may be one of the only ways to ensure that millions of vaccine doses don’t expire on the shelf. So far, 24 million doses have been allocated to states, with roughly 28 percent of those doses administered...

President Donald Trump at one point said there would be 100 million doses prepared by the end of 2020. More recently, officials said they would have 20 million doses administered by then. That didn’t happen. In mid-December states began to report a range of issues—deliveries of doses delayed, vaccination reporting systems shutting down. And as the New Year rolled by, the administration had still not reached its target.

While administration officials, citing everything from production and quality control sluggishness to allocation scheduling conflicts, have admitted there was a slight lag in getting the first batches out to states, they have repeatedly told their local counterparts that distribution would soon get back on track. Internally, though, federal officials in recent days have begun to worry that there are issues at every step in the supply chain that could further slow the vaccination rate. A surprising number of healthcare and frontline workers haven’t shown up for their vaccinations or are refusing to get them. (According to a Los Angeles Times report, one hospital in northern California has vaccinated less than half of its staff.) Refrigerators have broken, spoiling dozens of doses. And states have struggled to find enough individuals to administer the vaccines.

Some good news. Medical professionals, what are the barriers to training people to administer the vaccine? It’s just a shot in the muscle of the arm, right? It seems like this is something we could get volunteers to do with some quick training.

I know in Oregon they’re enlisting dentists. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I imagine that must be stressful. I hope your wife's coworker tests negative. 

No results yet, but she’s got it. Terrible headache today, apparently, and just feels like crap. My wife will get tested Thursday or Friday, but she feels feels pretty confident she’ll be OK.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Tonight on the local PBS station they said that dentists are going to be enlisted to help administer the vaccine. 

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

18 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Tonight on the local PBS station they said that dentists are going to be enlisted to help administer the vaccine. 

California following Oregon’s lead again!

• Like 1

Well finally got set up for my first Covid vaccine for tomorrow.  Finally get to set up some international trips for this year. We were definitely going though withdrawals. (maybe something permanent after the way this country has been acting today...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stealthlobo said:

Well finally got set up for my first Covid vaccine for tomorrow.  Finally get to set up some international trips for this year. We were definitely going though withdrawals. (maybe something permanent after the way this country has been acting today...)

You’re likely to be met with don’t bring your shit to our country. 

2 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Got my second shot today and like you, I miss traveling. I’m hoping to go to Mexico next month. What is really pissing me off today is that it’s likely that NM schools may not be open in person until next August, supposedly because there isn’t an FDA approved vaccine for kids. This is ludicrous and not backed by science at all. As far as I am concerned, kids should be back 2 weeks after seniors and teachers are able to get vaccinated. Even if there were a vaccine available, I doubt that the take rate for kids would be 40 percent or less with all the antivaxxers around. I really hate the way the NM governor/administrators are handling this. I’ve written more antidepressant scripts this year than my last 5 years combined.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Got my second shot today and like you, I miss traveling. I’m hoping to go to Mexico next month. What is really pissing me off today is that it’s likely that NM schools may not be open in person until next August, supposedly because there isn’t an FDA approved vaccine for kids. This is ludicrous and not backed by science at all. As far as I am concerned, kids should be back 2 weeks after seniors and teachers are able to get vaccinated. Even if there were a vaccine available, I doubt that the take rate for kids would be 40 percent or less with all the antivaxxers around. I really hate the way the NM governor/administrators are handling this. I’ve written more antidepressant scripts this year than my last 5 years combined.

Damn. Can't imagine that. Don't have kids luckily so I haven't even had to think of schools/teachers/etc.

Had to cancel Ghana, Puerto Vallarta, and Philippines last year. But so happy to hopefully start planning a Colombia trip in May. We live to travel so getting vaccinated ASAP was our personal goal.

3 minutes ago, Maji said:

Unless we're projected to get more to vaccinate on schedule is this the wisest course? I know one dose does offer some protection, but for how long? I'd like to see a detailed cost/benefit analysis of this.

6.2 millions doses.

1 death with an undetermined connection.

anyways...

Wife's hospital is allowing spouses to sign up for vaccines.  I get my 1st dose Wednesday.  Being a fat over-50 guy, I'm up on the list anyways, but I've seen the lines for the vaccines at the places that have been distributing it.  This way works for me.  :P

5 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Guess this might explain how despite being almost a year into the pandemic and almost 90M infections worldwide that confirmed reinfections are extremely rare. Good news if true.   

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/01/06/1015822/covid-19-immunity-likely-lasts-for-years/

Cautious optimism.  Gonna be a LOT of studies done in this arena, so ultimately we're going to have some good baseline info.  I've been thinking that at the end of the day, a Covid vaccine could join influenza on the take-it-yearly list.  If not, great.  If so, not a big deal going forward.

• Like 2

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.