bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

40 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Today was my first day of hybrid learning in the classroom and I'm exhausted. Hybrid learning is an entirely different beast from the standard distance learning we've been doing or the traditional face-to-face learning. Our classes are broken up into Cohorts A&B with each class consisting of 9-13 students per cohort. Periods 1-7 Cohort A meet in class with me Monday & Thursday with Periods 1-7 Cohort B meeting on Tuesday & Friday. On Wednesday, everyone is asynchronous learning from home so the school can be cleaned and fumigated. When the students arrive on campus we have to take their temps at the door before allowing them in the classroom and all of the seats are spread out. I have never done this amount of multitasking before in my life with trying to manage the students in the classroom along with checking the Zoom lobby and chat room with my other students online for every class.

I have 160 students total with about 80 of them returning to the classroom, the rest are choosing to stay online. I have 6 special ed. students that push-in to one of my classes 4 days a week which complete negates the reason for cohorts in the first place. I'm glad that I get to see my students, but I'm frustrated and tired.    

thanks for what you are doing!

hopefully after health care workers they get the vaccinations to teachers next

• Cheers 1

No worse than the flu.....

The Texas doctor captured in a photo cradling a distraught Covid-19 patient on Thanksgiving has spoken of the sad isolation of his elderly patients and pleaded with people to "do the basic things" to avoid infection and stay out of hospital.

Hospitalizations from Covid-19 reached another record high across the US Monday, with officials across several states expressing concern that health care facilities would be overwhelmed.
Dr. Joseph Varon, chief of staff at United Memorial Medical Center in Houston, said on Monday that he had worked for 256 days nonstop in the pandemic so far and was frustrated by the increasing numbers of people being hospitalized.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

18 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

that would kill all California sports me thinks, except the 49ers who are temporarily setting up shop in Phoenix

At this point people will just roll their eyes at a stay at home order. People are saying f**k it , I'm just going to live my life. All this would do is make the Governor look like a fool, and Californians hate him. 

How would you enforce this if a large percentage of the population just ignore the order. You can't arrest everybody 

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

At this point people will just roll their eyes at a stay at home order. People are saying f**k it , I'm just going to live my life. All this would do is make the Governor look like a fool, and Californians hate him. 

How would you enforce this if a large percentage of the population just ignore the order. You can't arrest everybody 

not those who are concerned about the greater good, believe science and care about there fellow man. Its like some people believe that Newsom is just trying to f_ck with people

On 11/27/2020 at 6:43 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Well, looks like my daughter and I were exposed, so it’s off to get tested tomorrow morning.

Hope you tested negative! 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

18 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

not those who are concerned about the greater good, believe science and care about there fellow man. Its like some people believe that Newsom is just trying to f_ck with people

People are burned out on COVID and are not nearly as willing to lock down as they were back in the spring. 

9 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

People are burned out on COVID and are not nearly as willing to lock down as they were back in the spring. 

this isn't meant for you personally, but we're all burned out on it.

I'm sure 75 years ago people were burned out with WWII too. The vaccine will start to distribute in 10 short days, the end is in sight. We just need to hang on and do what we can to prevent more sickening, suffering and loss of human life. If you care about the economy lets not cripple it by families having financial health burdens they can't endure.

22 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Hope you tested negative! 

We all ended up positive unfortunately, although my daughter has been completely asymptomatic. I have had extremely mild symptoms so far, but my wife has been hit harder. Thankfully not anything to be hospitalized for as of right now. She’s also started to noticeably improve after a very rough weekend. So, fingers crossed.

• Like 7
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

We all ended up positive unfortunately, although my daughter has been completely asymptomatic. I have had extremely mild symptoms so far, but my wife has been hit harder. Thankfully not anything to be hospitalized for as of right now. She’s also started to noticeably improve after a very rough weekend. So, fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for you guys. 

• Cheers 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

16 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

this isn't meant for you personally, but we're all burned out on it.

I'm sure 75 years ago people were burned out with WWII too. The vaccine will start to distribute in 10 short days, the end is in sight. We just need to hang on and do what we can to prevent more sickening, suffering and loss of human life. If you care about the economy lets not cripple it by families having financial health burdens they can't endure.

I agree with you. We need to all do our part to slow this thing down as much as possible. I agree with social distancing. not traveling, wearing masks, washing hands frequently etc. 

I also see what is going on around me. I was the only one in my office to not have anybody over for Thanksgiving, or travel to a family gathering. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Hang in there

• Cheers 2

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

I agree with you. We need to all do our part to slow this thing down as much as possible. I agree with social distancing. not traveling, wearing masks, washing hands frequently etc. 

I also see what is going on around me. I was the only one in my office to not have anybody over for Thanksgiving, or travel to a family gathering. 

Rely on yourself to avoid Covid, don’t expect the government to do it for you. Stay at home except for necessities. Use pick up services at the grocery store. Don’t go out to restaurants. If you go out for a walk distance yourself from others. It’s hard, but avoid family gatherings. It’s pretty much common sense. 

The only caveat is where your work demands you be in contact with others. Wearing a mask and distancing is your only protection and that’s no guarantee. Those that have to do so have my respect. 

The FDA and CDC need to work 24/7 to get a vaccine approved and distributed. 

19 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

Today was my first day of hybrid learning in the classroom and I'm exhausted. Hybrid learning is an entirely different beast from the standard distance learning we've been doing or the traditional face-to-face learning. Our classes are broken up into Cohorts A&B with each class consisting of 9-13 students per cohort. Periods 1-7 Cohort A meet in class with me Monday & Thursday with Periods 1-7 Cohort B meeting on Tuesday & Friday. On Wednesday, everyone is asynchronous learning from home so the school can be cleaned and fumigated. When the students arrive on campus we have to take their temps at the door before allowing them in the classroom and all of the seats are spread out. I have never done this amount of multitasking before in my life with trying to manage the students in the classroom along with checking the Zoom lobby and chat room with my other students online for every class.

I have 160 students total with about 80 of them returning to the classroom, the rest are choosing to stay online. I have 6 special ed. students that push-in to one of my classes 4 days a week which complete negates the reason for cohorts in the first place. I'm glad that I get to see my students, but I'm frustrated and tired.    

Kudos to you for your dedication to your profession of educating the young. There is a marked difference between private and public schools in Boise. Several neighbors have their kids in private schools and they are attending school every day for a normal school day.

The public schools are operating similar to yours. I’m not sure how much difference it has made in regard to spreading Covid. I can’t imagine the private schools going full time if Covid was a huge issue. 

1 minute ago, grandjean87 said:

Elementary schools in the larger Boise area district are full on traditional w/full classes attending daily.  Secondary is modified with A/B days. 

Elementary schools in Washoe County are traditional full day.

Today is the last day of A/B hybrid for middle and high schools; full distance learning until further notice. :(

20 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I’ve said this many times, but I picked a good year to retire. I know it’s a lot deal with.  My wife has a full class of 1st graders now, and it’s easier on her than the modified.  She didn’t have to do synchronous days, but when A/B days were in place, after a full day she would spend the evening evaluation on-line assignments and communicating w/parents. 

My niece teaches HS, w/multi-preps. Exhausted. 

Best wishes and I’m sure you will find some efficiencies in due time.  Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This seems logical.

Glad you are retired, friend.

It was time.  I have enjoyed reconnecting w/former students especially ones now in their  mid-years w/families, businesses, successes and struggles.  Had a great exchange yesterday. 

I’m still open to a return in 2021 or 2022 for a year or two. Would have to be the right job and not full-time. 

• Like 1