bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

There's already asset sales going on big time and many more will probably happen before the end of December anticipating that there will be higher tax burdens/less favorable tax situations under a Biden Administration. Art, for example, is being unloaded like crazy right now. So you're probably right that this has something to do with it as well. I think it's a variety of issues coming to a head, many of which you and I have both touched on. 

I know you have knowledge about crypto. I bought a bitcoin when it was 6300. Do you think Corona is going to affect it's acceptance and price? I see that Paypal bought a couple of crypto platforms.

4 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Let’s see if cases actually drop after the mandate.  If they do they will be the first in the country.

Just because they mandate it doesn't mean people do it, it doesn't mean businesses enforce it, it doesn't mean people make an effort to distance, etc.

4 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

so we've reached this point in my state 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/health/utah-hospitals-care-rationing-covid/index.html

note: we are also the youngest state in the nation

Was going to mention this. 

We're getting to the point where they're going to start having to make decisions on who gets the care vs who gets booted because of age or because of severe condition unlikely to survive.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

A new study by economists at the University of Kansas has found that counties in the state where residents are obliged to wear masks in public have seen about half as many new coronavirus infections as counties that do not have a mask mandate in force.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/26/world/covid-19-coronavirus-updates/kansas-counties-with-mask-mandates-had-half-the-rate-of-new-infections-a-study-finds

• Haha 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

A new study by economists at the University of Kansas has found that counties in the state where residents are obliged to wear masks in public have seen about half as many new coronavirus infections as counties that do not have a mask mandate in force.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/26/world/covid-19-coronavirus-updates/kansas-counties-with-mask-mandates-had-half-the-rate-of-new-infections-a-study-finds

I wouldn't take much stock in this study. NM has a statewide mask mandate and you have Grant County with an incidence of 9.5/100k and next door Luna County leading the State at 140/100k. Both demographically similar. Other mask studies are stronger I think.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Just because they mandate it doesn't mean people do it, it doesn't mean businesses enforce it, it doesn't mean people make an effort to distance, etc.

This is for sure.  I went to a place in Davis County this morning to get a tonneau cover for my new truck.  None of the staff or the customers were wearing masks...except me.  It is not like I am this huge mask zealot, but it still struck me as odd that so many people were just not having it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billings said:

Starting to look like there is no such thing as herd immunity and you can get this over and over.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54696873

Yeah I read that today. Antibodies start to decline pretty quick. Often times though vaccination apparently provides better immunity. Let’s hope so. At least those of us that plan to get it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Yeah I read that today. Antibodies start to decline pretty quick. Often times though vaccination apparently provides better immunity. Let’s hope so. At least those of us that plan to get it. 

I am thinking maybe two shots a year for the foreseeable future or a virus mutation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stealthlobo said:

I definitely see this at least for the first couple years

Off topic but I got a shingles vaccination yesterday. Worse after effects than most shots in my experience.  

43 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Off topic but I got a shingles vaccination yesterday. Worse after effects than most shots in my experience.  

I am due for that one.  I hear the 2nd shot is the one that gets you

Saw where getting a flu shot might help ease or stave off covid by boosting antibodies 

Did get a flue shot a week ago 

A Flu Shot Might Reduce Coronavirus Infections, Early Research Suggests
Hospital workers who got vaccinated were significantly less likely to develop COVID than those who did not

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/

U.S. health officials are urging Americans to get their flu shots this year in the hopes of thwarting a winter “twindemic”—a situation in which both influenza and COVID-19 spread and sicken the public. But a new study suggests that there could be another key reason to get a flu jab this year: it might reduce your risk of COVID-19. The research, released as a preprint that has not yet been peer-reviewed, indicates that a flu vaccine against the influenza virus may also trigger the body to produce broad infection-fighting molecules that combat the pandemic-causing coronavirus.

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Ya Shingrix is known to have a lot harsher side effects compared to your basic flu or tetanus shots.  Much more pain/soreness, and a lot of people feel like shit for up to a week afterwards.