bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

I was reading an article in the Deseret News this morning about COVID increases in Utah.  I also took a look a the comment section and one poster had and interesting comment.  It was his/her opinion that people across the country have weighed the risk of COVID to them against the risk of losing other things in their life like relationships, careers, lifestyle , etc. and are now acting accordingly.

39 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I was reading an article in the Deseret News this morning about COVID increases in Utah.  I also took a look a the comment section and one poster had and interesting comment.  It was his/her opinion that people across the country have weighed the risk of COVID to them against the risk of losing other things in their life like relationships, careers, lifestyle , etc. and are now acting accordingly.

can you not still do all of those things relationships, careers, lifestyle safely by wearing a mask, social distancing and washing your hands?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

can you not still do all of those things relationships, careers, lifestyle safely by wearing a mask, social distancing and washing your hands?

I think COVID fatigue has set in. I think most people have assessed the risk to themselves as very low, and are going to live their lives. 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

I think COVID fatigue has set in. I think most people have assessed the risk to themselves as very low, and are going to live their lives. 

Maybe I'm a hermit ....but I really dont know what more I would be doing to "live my life". My wife and I still do our dinner date night. We have always preferred quiet local places as opposed to Texas Roadhouse type places. We do are hikes. We still go in to work. We took our daughter back to school in Oregon...turned the road trip into a vacation through Yellowstone. I really don't know what changes with fatigue. Wash my hands less...use less sanitizer?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I understand that, but some of us don't have that luxury.  You're putting our lives and other innocent lives at risk.

I can't imagine someone saying, I have Ebola fatigue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coalman29 said:

Maybe I'm a hermit ....but I really dont know what more I would be doing to "live my life". My wife and I still do our dinner date night. We have always preferred quiet local places as opposed to Texas Roadhouse type places. We do are hikes. We still go in to work. We took our daughter back to school in Oregon...turned the road trip into a vacation through Yellowstone. I really don't know what changes with fatigue. Wash my hands less...use less sanitizer?

No attending concerts and games, church, many states with closed schools, some jobs gone (hospitality for example).  Besides the schools and if you lost your job, it isn't the biggest deal.  A lot of folks forgot leagues shut down, theaters shut down, concerts were canceled and people were taking less vacations, and restaurants were closing before mandates and restrictions were put in place.  Lift all those restrictions, and companies won't have government to blame anymore, just their fear of litigation which closed them up before.  

15 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I understand that, but some of us don't have that luxury.  You're putting our lives and other innocent lives at risk.

I can't imagine someone saying, I have Ebola fatigue.

Let’s  use a responsible comparison please. Ebola was a death sentence, the changes for survival with  Covid even if you have other conditions is pretty good. 

28 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Masks aren’t some miracle solution here.  Most people are wearing masks and guess what...  cases are skyrocketing. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

Let’s  use a responsible comparison please. Ebola was a death sentence, the changes for survival with  Covid even if you have other conditions is pretty good. 

fair enough,

I edited that Ebola comment out initially, but apparently it didn't save.

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

How about AIDS fatigue? We can skip the condoms....people are still getting AIDS so they probably don't work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Masks aren’t some miracle solution here.  Most people are wearing masks and guess what...  cases are skyrocketing. 

lets not rehash this again and again, science has proven masks are very effective (not 100%) if both parties wear them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I think this is largely true. In a weird way, all the strife over the spring and summer (protests, riots, etc) were both exacerbated by and I think a kind of pressure valve for the the restless energy that eventually convinces people to stop staying indoors. Everyone is focused on the election now, I think the Holidays may buy some more time with people doing some traveling but also only to see family... but people won't listen to the state to lock down nearly as much in 2021 as they did this year. Enforcing restrictions beyond banning very large gatherings is going to be impossible, no matter the numbers... even for people who believe the epidemiologists. 

• Cheers 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Name a single person who has called them a miracle.  

the issue I see is that people wear masks into a restaurant, sit 6 feet from another table, spend 90 minutes mask-less enjoying their food/drink in the establishment in a poorly ventialted area, put on their mask to leave the restaurant or use the restroom. And then they Catch COVID and claim, "Hey I wore my mask at the restaurant and still caught COVID"

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

lets not rehash this again and again, science has proven masks are very effective (not 100%) if both parties wear them.

I don't know how the wearing of masks as a preventer of air-borne diseases became political. Like everything else lately, apparently it's a left vs right issue. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

5 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I wear masks, have no problem doing so...  but fact is most people are wearing masks and this disease is still spreading like crazy.  I’m not naive enough to think it’s some miracle solution here.  Most people I know who contracted Covid are avid mask wearers.  But hey, you do you.

• Like 2

v0icAvfW.jpg