bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

On 9/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, RSF said:

My wife's elderly aunt tested positive this week.  She's not feeling great but is at home in part because the local medical facilities are small and the town is pretty isolated.

Month later, aunt is better but still not 100%.  She lives in an apartment off my MILs house, and they're treating it like solitary confinement - she'll bring a tray of food, knock on the door then shuffle off, then the aunt peeks out, takes the tray and disappears.  And to protect US, the mom in law has told us to stay home for Thanksgiving.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Have had two of my techs with it......one came back to work after 20 days,  the other will be back monday. Both ...both have said it kicked their asses. Not like the flu....the common denominator is that both have told me they lost sense of smell/taste and their bodies feel like they've been in a car wreck.

Glad they weren't put on ventilators, extended hospital stay. 

I will share this one bit of info. The tech who was out for twenty days, religiously wears a mask, washes his hands constantly and carries a handi-wipe, he wipes every surface with it....I'm talking about EVERY thing he us about to touch. 

Covid kicked his ass and he's making sure it doesn't again.......all of us at work are not laughing at his precautions. ...it's +++++ing real.

Calm your tits . I never said it’s not real. I never said people haven’t been seriously affected by this. I’m just saying some people I know were minimally affected. 

I know 5 people that have tested positive. 1 died after 8 days he was in the ICU for 3 days, another was in ICU for two weeks but she’s recovered, 2 had very mild symptoms, another was fairly sick and had to make one emergency room visit, but recovered quickly. 

This virus is strange.

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

Calm your tits . I never said it’s not real. I never said people haven’t been seriously affected by this. I’m just saying some people I know were minimally affected. 

You are right. My Father is 87 in a Memory Care Facility. He tested positive several times over 10 days and never had any symptoms. On the other hand, my SIL’s mother in her 60’s got it way back at the start In March, was hospitalized, and still isn’t back to normal. Apparently they call it “Long Haul Syndrome.” Very strange how it affects people so differently. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

I know several people who have had it.

Early April a good friend had his parents visit and after they went home they tested positive. Friend and wife are mid 40’s and tested negative. Their 6 year old son with significant health issues tested positive. Kid was asymptomatic and parents never contracted it despite being with the kid 24/7. Friends mom who got it has emphysema, diabetes plus more issues. She was sick for a few days but recovered fine. Her husband in good shape was in bed for a week but also recovered.

My daughter 18 year old friend got it on visit to BSU this summer, asymptomatic and gave it to her mom here who was the same. Dad never caught it.

My Dads neighbors in their seventies caught it and were sick for a week. Neighbors mom who is 92 caught it and had mild flu symptoms. Nobody I know has been hospitalized or had lingering symptoms.

I have 5 nephews/nieces, a sister in law, and several friends that have gotten it.  No major illness for any of them thankfully....  mostly cold/flu symptoms and recovery after a few days but a few of the younger ones were completely asymptomatic.

Up until about a month or so ago I didn’t know of a single first hand case....  then it seemed like tons of folks I knew got it all around the same time.

• Like 1

v0icAvfW.jpg

My ex-girlfriend got it 2 weeks after we broke up.  Dodged a bullet there. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

At the very beginning of the pandemic there was a small sample indication that blood type might play a role in the risk and severity of infection. Then all went pretty quiet about this possible connection.

Now it looks like there is mounting evidence that Type O has lower risk. 

https://www.hematology.org/newsroom/press-releases/2020/possible-link-between-blood-type-and-covid-19

10 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

My tech's dad got it, he died. The HR manager and her husband got it, he died. The greeter and his wife got it, both died. My intern's boyfriend and boyfriend's dad got it, the boyfriend was hospitalized, his dad died.

That's terrible man

10 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

My tech's dad got it, he died. The HR manager and her husband got it, he died. The greeter and his wife got it, both died. My intern's boyfriend and boyfriend's dad got it, the boyfriend was hospitalized, his dad died.

This is why herd immunity won't work. Totally stupid idea to begin with.  This administration has zero plan and zero clue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Lol. Herd immunity works for every other relatively benign virus, but not this one. +++++ing stupid

Curious, is that the plan Trump came up with after eight months? Serious question.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Lol. Herd immunity works for every other relatively benign virus, but not this one. +++++ing stupid

Where has it worked to ignore a virus?  Cold,  flu,  measles,  mumps, smallpox,  polio?  Herd immunity is for vaccinations,  not just doing nothing and allowing everyone to fall ill. 

• Cheers 1
Posted Image

27 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Where has it worked to ignore a virus?  Cold,  flu,  measles,  mumps, smallpox,  polio?  Herd immunity is for vaccinations,  not just doing nothing and allowing everyone to fall ill. 

Yeah, without the vaccine, there are a lot of population areas that will never reach the right % numbers to be immune, because the demographics of the herd are always changing.

3 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

Yeah, without the vaccine, there are a lot of population areas that will never reach the right % numbers to be immune, because the demographics of the herd are always changing.

Even with a vaccine I’m not sure as I doubt more than half the people will get it. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

11 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

Plus many viruses mutate every year.   That is why you need an annual flu shot.  I don't think we know how much covid will mutate but they are just assuming it will be like chicken pox.

Posted Image

5 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

What do you recommend?  Containment is no longer an option.

Contract Tracing.  Use Apps (like in South Korea) if necessary.  You would obviously need an opt out option for people who wanted their privacy.

Then once the Contact Tracers have data, you rigorously enforce the closings of things that are causing outbreaks. (We know that two are bars and big gatherings of people/superspreader  events, are a couple, yet a lot of places don't have bans on big gatherings of people yet.)

Once you have data, that will also allow things that aren't causing outbreaks to open up more.  Some things that they thought would cause outbreaks (like gyms) haven't been linked to a lot of super spreading events for example.

• Like 2