bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

28 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

That is not great news from a vaccine perspective.  This may be something we learn to live with.

I'm not sure how significant this really is. 4 documented reinfections and only 1 symptomatic out of 32 million cases. With the amount of scrutiny Covid vaccines are getting, I'm not surprised that there are some unexplained illnesses that cause pauses in the study. I don't think they have even determined if the patient was in the placebo arm or vaccine arm.

47 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I'm not sure how significant this really is. 4 documented reinfections and only 1 symptomatic out of 32 million cases. With the amount of scrutiny Covid vaccines are getting, I'm not surprised that there are some unexplained illnesses that cause pauses in the study. I don't think they have even determined if the patient was in the placebo arm or vaccine arm.

That's pretty normal for any vaccine trial, isn't it? 

56 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I am definitely not a doctor but I thought the idea of a vaccine was to essentially give you a very minor case of the disease so your body builds immunity.  If you can be re-infected so quickly, I am not sure how anything we develop will be any better than the current flu shots.

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

"as I understand it"....pauses and holds are not that unusual. They're trying to check as much as they can.  Which is why they generally arent rushed to market.  But because we're all paying attention, everything is magnified.  And moreso because some unnamed people have a specific timeframe in mind.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I am definitely not a doctor but I thought the idea of a vaccine was to essentially give you a very minor case of the disease so your body builds immunity.  If you can be re-infected so quickly, I am not sure how anything we develop will be any better than the current flu shots.

I think most people would take 'as good as the flu shot'.  Because that would be pretty good.  A lot of people arent aware that the yearly flu shot is a guess at what strains are going to be active and are manufactured based on that.  The mix isnt always 100%.  regarding Covid, given how rare re-infections have been, I agree with others that it may not be much of a cause for concern.  At this time.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

50 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

From what I remember reading from early results from certain vacinnes they found they had 10x the anibodies generated from the vaccine versus actually getting the virus. Which would mean the vaccine would last quite a bit longer than getting the virus. Maybe long enough to wipe it out or we may have to get it every year. NBut that was just some preliminary studies and I may be completely wrong about that too.

1 hour ago, BYUcougfan said:

Not really to generate a mild case of the infection. Some vaccines use particles of the virus to generate an immune response to produce antibodies. But there are other mechanisms the body produces that produce some memory as well in addition to antibodies. I'm sure there are many previously covid infected people that have been reexposed and not reinfected even if they have no measurable antibodies. Flu vaccines may only be 50-70% effective in preventing infection but they also decrease severity of the disease if you are infected. Very worthwhile to get.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Hard to say because most vaccine trials aren't this scrutinized and the companies don't usually provide that information if they complete the trial. There are circumstances that vaccines and medicines in general are discontinued due to adverse affects and most people wouldn't even know unless you follow their stock prices.

It comes down to innate (simple immunity) vs acquired/adaptive (complex immunity). Non-specific vs specific. Vaccines stimulate the big guns of acquired immunity though protein recognition. At that point it becomes more convoluted due to cell-mediated vs humoral (antibody) mediated response. It's usually some combination of the two to create the memory T-cells to stop a full blown infection before it starts.

Sorry if the explanation was too jargon filled, tried to layman it a bit, but have had a few 🍻

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

It comes down to innate (simple immunity) vs acquired/adaptive (complex immunity). Non-specific vs specific. Vaccines stimulate the big guns of acquired immunity though protein recognition. At that point it becomes more convoluted due to cell-mediated vs humoral (antibody) mediated response. It's usually some combination of the two to create the memory T-cells to stop a full blown infection before it starts.

Sorry if the explanation was too jargon filled, tried to layman it a bit, but have had a few 🍻

No apologies. More of this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

16 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Don't get me started on major histocompatibility complex ;)

I write screeds on here about old bicycle races every year, don’t threaten me with a good time.

• Haha 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I write screeds on here about old bicycle races every year, don’t threaten me with a good time.

I believe you should drop everything, pack up the cats and move to Burgundy. Freelance report on the tour until a major outlet picks you up. Buy a 17th century farmhouse and have wine bread and cheese for lunch every day.  

It's entirely possible. Do it.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I believe you should drop everything, pack up the cats and move to Burgundy. Freelance report on the tour until a major outlet picks you up. Buy a 17th century farmhouse and have wine bread and cheese for lunch every day.  

It's entirely possible. Do it.

Ewww, cats and the French? This is the meanest thing anyone has said to me in weeks.

I assume these trials have measurable protocols they have to meet before they are allowed to be released to the public. A few unexplained negative side effect cases out of 30,000 positive effective trial vaccines would appear to be worth the risk given the consequences of no vaccine at all.