bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

I think I've read every post in this 531 page thread, going back to early March. With the exception of some teams and shit flare-ups, overall, this has been one of the best sources of discourse regarding all things Covid that I've found on the Internet. I allow myself 30-45 minutes of news per day and this thread has always made that rotation. 

• Like 5
  • Cheers 1

On 8/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, Bob said:

Times Square at noon today. This is effectively the cultural center of our country.  We've ruined our society. It was worth it, though!! The fear mongering was so thoroughly complete that NYC has effectively died. People are fleeing in droves. The pandemic's literally over in NYC, yet people are too scared to go about their lives. Truly sad

Efy6E1MWoAEWTF9?format=jpg&name=small

Think apartment rent will go down? Just looked a studio can go from $1700 to $4600. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Image may contain: 5 people, meme, text that says '45 OUT OF 50 US GOVERNORS DID NOT FORCE COVID-19 INFECTED PATIENTS INTO NURSING HOMES BUT 5 OF THEM DID Andrew Cuomo (NY) TomWolf Wolf (PA) Phil Murphy (NJ) Gavin Newsom (CA) Gretchen Whitmer (MI) THAT IS NEARLY 40% OF ALL COVID-19 DEATHS IN THE UNITED STATES'

Forcing COVID patients in to nursing homes was a bad idea and resulting in people dying. But California ranks 28th in deaths per capita, pretty silly to lump them in with New York and New Jersey. Pennsylvania also ranks outside the top 10 (14th), and Michigan ranks (9th). 

11 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I’d like to see some data on this before I get too excited.  What % of cases experience this after x # of weeks and how severe are the symptoms?  Is this a rare and unfortunate side effect for a very small minority or is there some more substance to the volumes?  This thing has become too politicized at this point.  It’s unfortunate.

v0icAvfW.jpg

26 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Forcing COVID patients in to nursing homes was a bad idea and resulting in people dying. But California ranks 28th in deaths per capita, pretty silly to lump them in with New York and New Jersey. Pennsylvania also ranks outside the top 10 (14th), and Michigan ranks (9th). 

Wait, are you saying my racist uncle's Facebook posts that look like they're a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy aren't a quality source of info? 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Been saying that from the beginning. Here we are.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

At least in the Northeastern States, it was because the hospitals and ERs were already over flooded--at the time there was literally nowhere else to go.  Those people would have likely died anyway. :(

21 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

Pretty much everyone said that.  Our solution ended up being the worst of both worlds. 

Disagree. People calling for an approach that took into account what people would do and would be willing to do, and who suggested the consequences of not taking that approach would put us into a situation like this, were few and far between on here in march. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.