bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

43 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

If Americans will mask, social distance, close schools, etc. we may have the same type of milder flu season. They are attributing flu cases being down in the Southern Hemisphere to people there following coronavirus restrictions.

But if too many Americans refuse to follow coronavirus restrictions it could get bad in the US.

From that article:

Americans have NEVER had any sort of restrictions in the past for flu season.  There are a lot of folks taking precautions right now across the board.  Just like the Southern Hemisphere, I suspect our flu season will be very mild.

v0icAvfW.jpg

4 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Americans have NEVER had any sort of restrictions in the past for flu season.  There are a lot of folks taking precautions right now across the board.  Just like the Southern Hemisphere, I suspect our flu season will be very mild.

Yea just intuitively it seems this flu season should be on the mild side given the measures we are taking to combat COVID. 

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea just intuitively it seems this flu season should be on the mild side given the measures we are taking to combat COVID. 

Well, except among the right wing +++++wits that think this is a hoax.

9 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

I meant the current coronavirus recommendations, not some new flu related restrictions.

Many Americans are still opposed to masks and distancing for coronavirus.

Plus the Southern Hemisphere flu season coincided with the first coronavirus wave. They closed schools for the coronavirus which also reduced flu spreading in the schools. We are reopening schools now as we move toward our Northern Hemisphere flu season with the coronavirus still around.

56 minutes ago, retrofade said:

From what I've been told by people who live in/near apartment complexes near Duke, they'll be shutting down pretty soon as well.

That is classic stupidity to believe 18-22 year olds wouldn’t spread the virus on a college campus. And from educators no less. 

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

From what I've been told by people who live in/near apartment complexes near Duke, they'll be shutting down pretty soon as well.

I'm on the fence on this one.  They have already made the risk to bring them back to campus and house them, and they think no class is going to stop them from partying, going to the fraternity houses (plus, are they doing rush?), and if there are bars open, going to those too.  They have already made their bed, this does nothing, I just hope they expected and prepared for it, since literally everyone with half-a-brain saw this coming.

7 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I'm on the fence on this one.  They have already made the risk to bring them back to campus and house them, and they think no class is going to stop them from partying, going to the fraternity houses (plus, are they doing rush?), and if there are bars open, going to those too.  They have already made their bed, this does nothing, I just hope they expected and prepared for it, since literally everyone with half-a-brain saw this coming.

Right, it's super annoying for non-local students to now have to potentially move again.

By having classes in person you're pretty much statistically going to have outbreak(s).  Your decision to open should be related to your plan to minimize the outbreak(s) and not praying you don't have any in the first place.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I’m assuming they’re worried about liability issues. 

17 minutes ago, Bob said:

Times Square at noon today. This is effectively the cultural center of our country.  We've ruined our society. It was worth it, though!! The fear mongering was so thoroughly complete that NYC has effectively died. People are fleeing in droves. The pandemic's literally over in NYC, yet people are too scared to go about their lives. Truly sad

Efy6E1MWoAEWTF9?format=jpg&name=small

Trump got rid of the immigrants.  He should take credit for that.  Promises made, Promises kept.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Times Square at noon today. This is effectively the cultural center of our country.  We've ruined our society. It was worth it, though!! The fear mongering was so thoroughly complete that NYC has effectively died. People are fleeing in droves. The pandemic's literally over in NYC, yet people are too scared to go about their lives. Truly sad

Meanwhile, Fluhan China is partying like it's 2018. Call me "batty" but sumpin don't seem right

• Like 1

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

On 8/19/2020 at 3:03 PM, Bob said:

What are those little red and white tables for? Outdoor dining? 

Trying to speed up testing to have a vaccine before the election would also be a political not a scientific move.

And "saving lives"? I keep hearing some people say coronavirus is not as bad as other diseases and it is mainly older people who don't matter. Open up and don't try to save lives without a vaccine but we need a vaccine to save lives? Confusing logic. :hmmm: