bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

9 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It went on a lot longer than two weeks. 

A couple months ago the cure-all was “test, test, test” (somebody screamed that an awful lot)...  that’s happening now.  Now the cure-all is another shutdown?  It’s perplexing.  The only thing that we can do at this point is take common sense measures - and it HAS TO be at the individual level - government can’t fix this.  Social distance, be smart about going out, who you’re socializing with, avoiding crowds, and wear masks.  Shutdowns aren’t needed.  Widespread common sense and caution is - doubly so if you’re high risk.  I hate to say it but this is what it is until a viable treatment and/or vaccine is in place.  Of course, I don’t share the view of a certain poster that everything is apocalyptic and going to kill us all.

• Like 1

v0icAvfW.jpg

23 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Didn't we already try this? 

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

No thank you.  Sweeping draconian lockdowns is not an option at this point nor is it even a common sense proposal. 

I agree that we won't do this again but it probably would work a lot better now that we ah e increased testing capabilities in place.... Shut everything down and encourage massive testing. Would go a long ways to sniffing this out. But we won't do it again. 

Would have been nice if like other countries we had adequate testing the first time we shut down (not really shut down) 

No such thing as a lockdown unless you are willing to enforce it. Too many people will defy it to make it worthwhile.I don't see cops making it a priority when they aren't able to arrest arsonists and vandals especially if they are short staffed from the defund sentiment.  I'll be curious to see if schools are going to require proof of vaccination or antibodies in order to attend.

Now the cure-all is another shutdown?  It’s perplexing.  The only thing that we can do at this point is take common sense measures - and it HAS TO be at the individual level - government can’t fix this.  Social distance, be smart about going out, who you’re socializing with, avoiding crowds, and wear masks.  Shutdowns aren’t needed.  Widespread common sense and caution is - doubly so if you’re high risk.  I hate to say it but this is what it is until a viable treatment and/or vaccine is in place.  Of course, I don’t share the view of a certain poster that everything is apocalyptic and going to kill us all.

What you are saying is those of us who can afford to do so take "common sense measures." Everybody else is +++++ed unfortunately. I had some junk hauled from my property the other day. The guys doing the work were huffing and puffing next to each other without adequate protection and then got into the small cabin of their truck together. Pretty sure they didn't choose to work that way. Also pretty sure they'd been fired on the spot if they had approached a customer the way they were working next to each other. 

I'm not entirely sure I understand how this is an issue that the government can't help solve about but individuals can. Overwhelming evidence from the US and from our "peer" countries suggests that's not true.

Edit: I do agree that it's everybody's responsibility to protect themselves. But government needs to provide the appropriate policies and infrastructure so people can actually do so.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I called it earlier in this thread. Fauci now recommends goggles and face shields. Will hazmat suits be next? 

vs.

"You have mucosa in the nose, mucosa in the mouth, but you also have mucosa in the eye," he continued. "Theoretically, you should protect all the mucosal surfaces. So if you have goggles or an eye shield you should use it."

He noted that goggles and eye or face shields are "not universally recommended" at this time, "but if you really want to be complete, you should probably use it if you can."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dr-fauci-wear-goggles-eye-shields-prevent-spread/story?id=72059055

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I am Ram said:

What you are saying is those of us who can afford to do so take "common sense measures." Everybody else is +++++ed unfortunately. I had some junk hauled from my property the other day. The guys doing the work were huffing and puffing next to each other without adequate protection and then got into the small cabin of their truck together. Pretty sure they didn't choose to work that way. Also pretty sure they'd been fired on the spot if they had approached a customer the way they were working next to each other. 

I'm not entirely sure I understand how this is an issue that the government can't help solve about but individuals can. Overwhelming evidence from the US and from our "peer" countries suggests that's not true.

Edit: I do agree that it's everybody's responsibility to protect themselves. But government needs to provide the appropriate policies and infrastructure so people can actually do so.

You make a lot of assumptions in this emotion based rebuttal.  Another lockdown is not an appropriate response to Covid at this point.  People need to be more cautious.  Even in your example there are measures that could have been taken to mitigate risk. 

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, I am Ram said:

You hired these guys to haul junk away. Did they need to be huffing and puffing, then getting into the small cabin of the truck? Could you not have done it yourself? 

• Cheers 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

I agree that we won't do this again but it probably would work a lot better now that we ah e increased testing capabilities in place.... Shut everything down and encourage massive testing. Would go a long ways to sniffing this out. But we won't do it again. 

Would have been nice if like other countries we had adequate testing the first time we shut down (not really shut down) 

Then we will continue to struggle. Cases will increase, deaths will increase and Healthcare will be crushed. The economy will crater. You have no economy while this is out of control.

Bite the bullet and then move on. A 2 week shutdown gives the virus no chance for transmission. What we are doing now will continue to deteriorate.

Rationalize all you want, but those are the 2 choices. 

• Like 1

One of the Final Five..........

3 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Then we will continue to struggle. Cases will increase, deaths will increase and Healthcare will be crushed. The economy will crater. You have no economy while this is out of control.

Bite the bullet and then move on. A 2 week shutdown gives the virus no chance for transmission. What we are doing now will continue to deteriorate.

We already did shut down. It won’t be any different the next time unless you want the police and the military enforcing the order.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, mysfit said:

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying politically it won't happen on a national scale. Got too many people like the others who replied to you saying we already tried this and it didn't work.

6 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Outside of a few hotspots the healthcare system hasn’t been overburdened.  Another shutdown is not happening.  It’s not realistic.

v0icAvfW.jpg