bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

hey @Bob, and anyone else who is looking at his posts and going "hey he's got a point!!!" here's how it works:

not all masks are created equally.  not all masks are worn at all, let alone worn correctly.  under the best circumstances, they help.  but they're not impenetrable.  but seeing as how without them it's definitely worse, let's see if we can help ourselves out by wearing masks.  if people won't voluntarily do this, then we need to mandate them.  we can debate the efficacy of a govt mandate in another conversation but the scientific thinking goes like this:

covid-19 spreads in many ways.  one way it spreads is transmission of water droplets from our mouths and noses.  effective mask construction and wearing protects the wearer from both spreading water droplets as well as receiving water droplets from coughs, breathing, talking, etc...  they can even help us refrain from touching a surface that has water droplets and then touching our own eyes, nose, mouth, etc to give the water droplets a way into the body.  so let's keep apart and wear a maks, all to keep the physical transmission of the virus at literal arm's length.

that's it.  there's no magic.  there's just a "oh hey this stuff spreads pretty easy, lots of people get it, how can we stop it with minimal effort?  a mask?  ok, let's do it."

so if you see numbers going up that means one of a few things

1. the virus is transmitted in ways a mask can't prevent or be an effective measure against

2. people aren't wearing them at all

3. people aren't wearing them effectively

4. people are not social distancing

japan has 125 MM people.  if only 1% of the population doesn't wear a mask or doesn't wear it properly, you still have 1.25MM people going out and about w/o masks.

i really don't think 4000 cases, or even 10000 cases, is an indictment against japan's mask wearing traditions and practices until we can establish how it spreads.  is it happening in tokyo where the concentration of people is sky high?  is it happening in rural areas?  a mix of both?  what were the social distancing practices of the people who got infected?

there's too much to dig through before we can say "see?  masks are ineffective."

don't be lazy, @Bob

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

hey @Bob, and anyone else who is looking at his posts and going "hey he's got a point!!!" here's how it works:

not all masks are created equally.  not all masks are worn at all, let alone worn correctly.  under the best circumstances, they help.  but they're not impenetrable.  but seeing as how without them it's definitely worse, let's see if we can help ourselves out by wearing masks.  if people won't voluntarily do this, then we need to mandate them.  we can debate the efficacy of a govt mandate in another conversation but the scientific thinking goes like this:

covid-19 spreads in many ways.  one way it spreads is transmission of water droplets from our mouths and noses.  effective mask construction and wearing protects the wearer from both spreading water droplets as well as receiving water droplets from coughs, breathing, talking, etc...  they can even help us refrain from touching a surface that has water droplets and then touching our own eyes, nose, mouth, etc to give the water droplets a way into the body.  so let's keep apart and wear a maks, all to keep the physical transmission of the virus at literal arm's length.

that's it.  there's no magic.  there's just a "oh hey this stuff spreads pretty easy, lots of people get it, how can we stop it with minimal effort?  a mask?  ok, let's do it."

so if you see numbers going up that means one of a few things

1. the virus is transmitted in ways a mask can't prevent or be an effective measure against

2. people aren't wearing them at all

3. people aren't wearing them effectively

4. people are not social distancing

japan has 125 MM people.  if only 1% of the population doesn't wear a mask or doesn't wear it properly, you still have 1.25MM people going out and about w/o masks.

i really don't think 4000 cases, or even 10000 cases, is an indictment against japan's mask wearing traditions and practices until we can establish how it spreads.  is it happening in tokyo where the concentration of people is sky high?  is it happening in rural areas?  a mix of both?  what were the social distancing practices of the people who got infected?

there's too much to dig through before we can say "see?  masks are ineffective."

don't be lazy, @Bob

4 should be 1, 1 should be 3.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You do realize the virus can enter through your eyes so why aren’t the pro mask people also wearing goggles? 

You do realize we see these same dumb ass talking points all over social media, right? The level of discourse here is miles ahead of what we see on Facebook, Reddit, comments sections and the like. Let’s keep it that way.

12 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You do realize the virus can enter through your eyes so why aren’t the pro mask people also wearing goggles? 

I have seen people do so.  Your flaw in argument is what is "pro mask people"?  I doubt there are many that just love to wear them.  Most of us just do the bare minimum that reduces the chance that if I had it, I would pass it to someone else.  For most Americans, wearing a mask is physically a nothing burger, and mentally about the same.  It's mostly only a problem to people who were told it was a freedom problem and they fell for it.  

Wearing goggles or face shields is more cumbersome and the main purpose to wear one isn't even the same as the mask in the first place.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I see you've changed the channel from OAN to National Geographic

BaggyMenacingBlackcrappie-size_restricte

That's the source of del scorcho sauce, which is in fact the best fast food hot sauce. ;)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m just trolling. It’s hard enough to get people to wear masks much less goggles too. I try my best to distance. So far it’s working. 

Dammit, where’s my vaccine!!

If you gotta troll, please try not to do it on this issue. It’s +++++ing up everybody’s life, and it’s tendrils have a grip on almost everything else.

• Like 3

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Does it spread out of your eyes?  COVID vision?  The thought on masks has always been to protect others in case you unknowingly have it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I have seen people do so.  Your flaw in argument is what is "pro mask people"?  I doubt there are many that just love to wear them.  Most of us just do the bare minimum that reduces the chance that if I had it, I would pass it to someone else.  For most Americans, wearing a mask is physically a nothing burger, and mentally about the same.  It's mostly only a problem to people who were told it was a freedom problem and they fell for it.  

Wearing goggles or face shields is more cumbersome and the main purpose to wear one isn't even the same as the mask in the first place.

speak for yourself. As soon as that mask hits my face in public I'm rock hard just the whole time. Based on private data sharing, so are approximately 5% of the population. 1 in 20 people you see wearing a mask in public is either ready to cut diamonds or wetter than Trump's palms when looking at a handicap access ramp. just think about it next time you're out, meeting people's eyes. 1 in 20. 

• Haha 3

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

14 minutes ago, happycamper said:

speak for yourself. As soon as that mask hits my face in public I'm rock hard just the whole time. Based on private data sharing, so are approximately 5% of the population. 1 in 20 people you see wearing a mask in public is either ready to cut diamonds or wetter than Trump's palms when looking at a handicap access ramp. just think about it next time you're out, meeting people's eyes. 1 in 20. 

And now we know happy has engaged in anonymous group sex.

• Haha 1